WORST song survivor: preliminaries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Salman Rushdie just wrote the lyrics to Ground Beneath Her Feet. Since U2 wrote the music, I would think it's safe to include in the poll.

Axver said:
Yeah, I think we should include Slow Dancing. There'd be an uproar if we didn't, I imagine.

And didn't Rushdie actually write TGHBF with the full intention of U2 playing it? It's not like it's actually a cover. Hmmm.
ooh yay we get to keep slow dancing! :hyper: :love: that song.

yeah, but since the band didn't write it, i guess it is technically still a cover. i guess the line should be drawn at did a member of U2 write the lyrics? if yes, it qualifies. if no, then it's technically a cover. :shrug:

Axver said:
Yeah, I think we should include Slow Dancing. There'd be an uproar if we didn't, I imagine.

And didn't Rushdie actually write TGHBF with the full intention of U2 playing it? It's not like it's actually a cover. Hmmm.

No, no no.

The lyrics to GBHF were lyrics to a fictional song written by a fictional songwriter in a novel that Rushdie wrote of the same title, 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet'. U2 liked the lyrics, got Rushdie's permission, and wrote the music for it.

KhanadaRhodes said:

ooh yay we get to keep slow dancing! :hyper: :love: that song.

yeah, but since the band didn't write it, i guess it is technically still a cover. i guess the line should be drawn at did a member of U2 write the lyrics? if yes, it qualifies. if no, then it's technically a cover. :shrug:

No, that' s ridiculous. U2 make MUSIC. If they wrote the MUSIC, it counts.

hmmm, i'll go look and see if it was included in the best song survivor. if it was, i'll put it on here by default. if not, we can keep debating :wink:

EDIT: it was. so it's going back on the list. :wave:

Last edited:
TheRooster said:
Are we going to include Alternate takes like Native Son and Xanax and Wine.
no demos will be included unless they end up being used as b-sides. (if the band releases another b-side before we get to that round and it's got original material on it, i'll add the songs.)

KhanadaRhodes said:

no demos will be included unless they end up being used as b-sides. (if the band releases another b-side before we get to that round and it's got original material on it, i'll add the songs.)

Why? They ARE officially released songs. They were officially released on ITunes. They ARE U2 songs. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be included.

Native Son
Smile
Xanax And Wine
Levitate
Love You Like Mad
Flower Child

should be included.

KhanadaRhodes said:

added!

was this used as a b-side or is it just a demo? i couldn't find any info on the b-sides for atomic bomb so i just had to go based on memory, and the singles i've bought...

I wasn't sure about Mercy...your original post doesn't say a song has to be a B-side, just that it has to be a studio recording. So I didn't know if it would qualify or not.

namkcuR said:
Why? They ARE officially released songs. They were officially released on ITunes. They ARE U2 songs. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be included.
because not everyone has bought the itunes box set. the line can be drawn at commercially released demos, sure, but i think a lot more people have heard luminous times over levitate.

if i am wrong though and people think they should be included, i'll put them on there. i'm not the only one having a say in this. :)

KhanadaRhodes said:

added!

was this used as a b-side or is it just a demo? i couldn't find any info on the b-sides for atomic bomb so i just had to go based on memory, and the singles i've bought...

Mercy was never released at all. It leaked from one lucky person's advance copy of HTDAAB that they recieved from Bono before the record was even released. Mercy has not been released in any official capacity.

The songs I mentioned above, however, WERE released in an official capacity on ITunes, and thus should be included.

Last edited:
miss becky said:
I wasn't sure about Mercy...your original post doesn't say a song has to be a B-side, just that it has to be a studio recording. So I didn't know if it would qualify or not.
:hmm: i wrote so much crap i don't remember what i said anymore. i'll go have a look at it and make it a bit more clear. :wave:

Add these as well

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own(Alternate Version)
All Because Of You(Alternate Version)
Yahweh(Alternate Version)

If it was officially released, it should be included - vinyl, iTunes, CD, whatever. Thus, that will also include Street Mission, The Fool, and possibly the early Shadows And Tall Trees if we are including alternate/early versions (which means we also need to put on the early Twilight). What about the 30-second Fire riff instrumental at the end of some copies of the Boy vinyl? I vote to exclude that.

Also, does Beautiful Ghost count? It's synths with a poem written by ... oh, goodness, I've just forgotten.

Axver said:
What about the 30-second Fire riff instrumental at the end of some copies of the Boy vinyl? I vote to exclude that.
yeah, because it's instrumental and doesn't even really resemble the song fire, imo.

i'll put on the fool and street mission. i don't think any alternate versions/demos of released stuff/etc. should be counted. as it is i don't think both versions of the sweetest thing should be on there.

It almost feels like we need a poll on which to include and which to exclude. Hmm. In the case of alternate versions, I vote that we go with the album version. In the case of Sweetest Thing, I vote we go with the original official release, even though I prefer the new one. Though as it will be in the otherwise-uncategorised section anyway, I bet people will just vote on it based on which they prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom