worst song by U2 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2004, 07:53 PM   #61
The Fly

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Holy crap!! Who said the Refugee??? That's one of my faves from War!!

I also really LIKE Love Rescue Me!

The song that springs to mind that I don't particularly like is the 98 version of Sweetest Thing.....I much prefer the original version - it's much more 'rockier' and not as soppy and 'lovey-dovey' as the second take.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:03 PM   #62
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
The Hands That Built America. For being so unoriginal that late in their career. Weak and awkward melody, forgettable chorus, this only gets credit because of its subject matter and Bono's admittedly well-done operatic part in the middle. Removing the electric guitar heard over the film's end credits makes it even worse.

If this song had been good AT ALL it would have won the Oscar. I love that Eminem song but U2 should have had it in the bag. If this was Ground Beneath Her Feet or Miss Sarajevo we would have photos of the boys holding golden statuettes.

While stuff like New York, Playboy Mansion, Some Days, and Miami might sound trite, at least the songs are all trying something new in the musical department. Even Love Rescue Me was an attempt at some kind of gospel we hadn't heard from them before. Wild Honey isn't offensive enough, clearly not aiming very high. But Hands was supposed to be a classic song for a classic movie, and for that it fails miserably.

laz
"Hands" is the only song mentioned in the thread that I can get behind. I was astonished that a band that has cited Scorsese's TAXI DRIVER as an influence on the majestic "Surrender" would turn out such a boring, color-by-numbers song when asked by the man himself to write a song for his movie. What was even worse was that it wound up on the Best Of... album, when it obviously wasn't the "best" of anything. And, here's something downright embarassing about the song: that section after the bridge where Bono tries to imitate Gavin Friday's trademark nasal chant, something stunningly inappropriate for this kind of song. Of all their songs, "The Hands That Built America" is a complete headscratcher.

Old 12-27-2004, 08:08 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND

- I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet. The opening guitar riff rocks, but then it turns to complete crap. The music and lyrical imagery are just awful.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:16 PM   #64
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by ravenette
Holy crap!! Who said the Refugee??? That's one of my faves from War!!
Apart from "Surrender", my favorite songs from the WAR album also seem to be the most maligned: "Seconds", "The Refugee" and "Red Light". I think they're the most creative and adventurous songs on the album, and are what give it the eclectic, ethnic, urban flavor that it needed. I can't imagine that album without those songs.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #65
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
The people who are saying Ultraviolet are on crack.
I'm the only person who said Ultra Violet, and I'm not on crack but I might be insane.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-27-2004, 08:34 PM   #66
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Oregoropa
STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND

- I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet. The opening guitar riff rocks, but then it turns to complete crap. The music and lyrical imagery are just awful.
Wow - I'm feeling more and more like an alien all the time, here! I thought those were the most focused and evocative lyrics on the entire OCTOBER album, and that the music supported the imagery - the idea of someone traveling in a militarized foreign land that turns out to be not-so-different from home. The music was almost Asian, at points (kind of like the ending of "Tomorrow") and served instead of overpowering the words.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:49 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:59 AM
1) Elvis Presley and America
2) A Man and a Woman
3) The entire Passengers album
Old 12-27-2004, 09:04 PM   #68
Refugee

Local Time: 07:59 AM
BOOM CHA! Discotheque!

and, New York...gosh that song grates on me.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:21 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:59 AM
I hated New York until I saw it performed live - accompanied with shadow puppets! I can at least tolerate to listen to it now.

The two that stick out in my mind as absolute U2 shite are: Miami (for original material) and Unchained Melody (for cover material).
Old 12-27-2004, 09:34 PM   #70
The Fly

Local Time: 02:59 PM
Red Light
Peace On Earth
When Love Comes to Town
Wake Up Dead Man
Old 12-27-2004, 09:53 PM   #71
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of.....rather sucks. I just dusted off ATYCLB and listened to Stuck again and it still doesn't do anything for me. I find it boring. It just might be U2's most over-rated song.

I'll also give a thumbs up to those who pointed out that The Hands That Built America is a shit song.

On the other hand, I disagree with all those who named Miami as U2's worst. 'Tis a good song.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #72
Babyface

Local Time: 08:59 AM
ah guys, some of thse replys are horrible!

how can you hate on anything from achtung baby or zooropa?
I really like passangers for what it is.. it's them playing with atmoshpere, kind of lik how radiohead f*cks with there music now.. U2 was alread doing that shit in 95, which makes me proud.

but straight up, hands that built america, is a poor song, i like how bono gives an opera shot in there.

I love any of the covers U2 does. happiness is a warm gun. props to that one.

peopel stop hating on miami or any of the new shit.. it's good.

hmmm grace, not feeling it, nor am I feeling stuck in a moemnet, BUT I still respect it, cause it's about Micheal from INXS... (RIP homie)
Old 12-27-2004, 10:43 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:59 AM
New York - worst U2 lyrics ever! And the worst part is the music is good! What a waste.
Red Light.
The last 4 songs on Zooropa should have been B-sides.

The people saying Original of the Species are crazy! That is one of the best songs they have EVER written!
Old 12-28-2004, 03:55 AM   #74
War Child

Local Time: 02:59 PM
So cruel, im sorry but this song really And the chorus of oots..
Old 12-28-2004, 03:58 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I'm the only person who said Ultra Violet, and I'm not on crack but I might be insane.