worst song by U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Holy crap!! Who said the Refugee??? That's one of my faves from War!!

I also really LIKE Love Rescue Me!

The song that springs to mind that I don't particularly like is the 98 version of Sweetest Thing.....I much prefer the original version - it's much more 'rockier' and not as soppy and 'lovey-dovey' as the second take.

lazarus said:
The Hands That Built America. For being so unoriginal that late in their career. Weak and awkward melody, forgettable chorus, this only gets credit because of its subject matter and Bono's admittedly well-done operatic part in the middle. Removing the electric guitar heard over the film's end credits makes it even worse.

If this song had been good AT ALL it would have won the Oscar. I love that Eminem song but U2 should have had it in the bag. If this was Ground Beneath Her Feet or Miss Sarajevo we would have photos of the boys holding golden statuettes.

While stuff like New York, Playboy Mansion, Some Days, and Miami might sound trite, at least the songs are all trying something new in the musical department. Even Love Rescue Me was an attempt at some kind of gospel we hadn't heard from them before. Wild Honey isn't offensive enough, clearly not aiming very high. But Hands was supposed to be a classic song for a classic movie, and for that it fails miserably.

laz

"Hands" is the only song mentioned in the thread that I can get behind. I was astonished that a band that has cited Scorsese's TAXI DRIVER as an influence on the majestic "Surrender" would turn out such a boring, color-by-numbers song when asked by the man himself to write a song for his movie. What was even worse was that it wound up on the Best Of... album, when it obviously wasn't the "best" of anything. And, here's something downright embarassing about the song: that section after the bridge where Bono tries to imitate Gavin Friday's trademark nasal chant, something stunningly inappropriate for this kind of song. Of all their songs, "The Hands That Built America" is a complete headscratcher.

STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND

- I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet. The opening guitar riff rocks, but then it turns to complete crap. The music and lyrical imagery are just awful.

ravenette said:

Apart from "Surrender", my favorite songs from the WAR album also seem to be the most maligned: "Seconds", "The Refugee" and "Red Light". I think they're the most creative and adventurous songs on the album, and are what give it the eclectic, ethnic, urban flavor that it needed. I can't imagine that album without those songs.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
The people who are saying Ultraviolet are on crack. :angry:

I'm the only person who said Ultra Violet, and I'm not on crack but I might be insane.

Oregoropa said:
STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND

- I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this one yet. The opening guitar riff rocks, but then it turns to complete crap. The music and lyrical imagery are just awful.

Wow - I'm feeling more and more like an alien all the time, here! I thought those were the most focused and evocative lyrics on the entire OCTOBER album, and that the music supported the imagery - the idea of someone traveling in a militarized foreign land that turns out to be not-so-different from home. The music was almost Asian, at points (kind of like the ending of "Tomorrow") and served instead of overpowering the words.

1) Elvis Presley and America
2) A Man and a Woman :reject:
3) The entire Passengers album :yuck:

I hated New York until I saw it performed live - accompanied with shadow puppets! :wink: I can at least tolerate to listen to it now.

The two that stick out in my mind as absolute U2 shite are: Miami (for original material) and Unchained Melody (for cover material). :yuck:

Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of.....rather sucks. I just dusted off ATYCLB and listened to Stuck again and it still doesn't do anything for me. I find it boring. It just might be U2's most over-rated song.

I'll also give a thumbs up to those who pointed out that The Hands That Built America is a shit song. :wink:

On the other hand, I disagree with all those who named Miami as U2's worst. 'Tis a good song. :up:

ah guys, some of thse replys are horrible!

how can you hate on anything from achtung baby or zooropa?
I really like passangers for what it is.. it's them playing with atmoshpere, kind of lik how radiohead f*cks with there music now.. U2 was alread doing that shit in 95, which makes me proud.

but straight up, hands that built america, is a poor song, i like how bono gives an opera shot in there.

I love any of the covers U2 does. happiness is a warm gun. props to that one.

peopel stop hating on miami or any of the new shit.. it's good.

hmmm grace, not feeling it, nor am I feeling stuck in a moemnet, BUT I still respect it, cause it's about Micheal from INXS... (RIP homie)

New York - worst U2 lyrics ever! And the worst part is the music is good! What a waste.
Red Light.
The last 4 songs on Zooropa should have been B-sides.

The people saying Original of the Species are crazy! That is one of the best songs they have EVER written!

So cruel, im sorry but this song really:mad: And the chorus of oots..

New York makes me cringe. Just the way its put together. The idea is good but the lyrics are pure crap.

I dunno how people can call OOTS the worst. Its my favorite. I <3 Numb too. And there are a couple other songs people posted as bad that I don't agree with. Like staring at the sun. That is one of my favorites.

But we all have different taste and different opinions.

ravenette said:

I also really LIKE Love Rescue Me!

:yes:...as do I. Hell, I even like "Red Light" from War, too! Like I said earlier, I like practically every song being mentioned in here. The only one I could slightly agree with, aside from the one I mentioned as my least favorite that a few other people agreed with, was "New York"-I don't hate that song, but I just have to be in the right mood for it. Aside from those two songs, though...yeah, I don't hate any of the other songs in here.

Originally posted by ravenette
The song that springs to mind that I don't particularly like is the 98 version of Sweetest Thing.....I much prefer the original version - it's much more 'rockier' and not as soppy and 'lovey-dovey' as the second take.

Heh, I personally don't mind both versions of this song-there's something about each of them that I like. I like the way the original's sung and everything, but whenever I hear the '98 version, I automatically think of the video, and seeing as that's my favorite U2 video, well...

Angela

hmm, haven't seen this mentioned so i might be stepping out into new territory here but...

i cannot stand wanderer

really

a lot of what you guys have mentioned are songs i've kinda agreed with as songs i dont like (and a lot of you have me scratching my head in confusion with your choices:wink: ) but if theres one song i can't stand its that one.
grates me totally which is annoying because it means i can't just put zooropa on and listen through, i always jump up and change it when it gets to the last track.
pity, 'cause i kinda like the weird noise at the end...

Dirty Day. Live, it's good, but the record version is lifeless. Bono sounds like he's got a cold, and the band doesn't even sound like they're trying. Trying to convert someone to U2? Don't play them this. It's complete shit.

I just heard Daddy's Gonna Pay and was reminded of how much I despise that song.

Love And Peace Or Else is slowly making a case to be added to my shortlist of worst U2 songs.

Cheers,

J

I would say 4th of July but if we aren't counting instrumentals, then probably Elvis Presley and America. It starts out cool but then gets bad and then doesn't end :blahblah:

Other than that I can listen to every album straight through with no regrets.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
The people who are saying Ultraviolet are on crack. :angry:
B]

:laugh:

Ultraviolet rocks..

I need to add the following to my earlier post with New York.

In a little while
Wild honey
When i look at the world
Grace

:barf:

Back
Top Bottom