Worried here, not that impressed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
Had two or three listens now to the new songs they played at totp and I must say I'm a bit disapointed. I just hope its that the sound quality is crap but I have a feeling that ABOY is nothing special, it does not sound like the ground breaking music I was hoping for, but it seems its more of the same as you were from "All that you can't leave behind", also the chorus of ABOY where he repeats the title 3 times is a bit repetitive. And I know everyone has been raving about COBL but that is another that is a bit disapointing for me. I love Vertigo and think thats a great raw track but the other two have not got me that excited. I just hope that its cos they are crap recordings, and maybe that is why I can't get into COBL and think Edge's guitar doesn't sound as great as it should, also anyone noticed the first line of COBL, "The more you see, the less you know", sounds like something he has sung before, kind of like they are treading old ground, in fact thinking about it he sang that in Last Night On Earth, at the end of the first verse. Anyway just my thoughts from somebody who was expecting a bit more diverse music as like Achtung Baby and Pop, and I was REALLY looking forward to this album. Oh well the album versions may blow my socks off I suppose, here's hoping!

dude, take it from a cynic: these tunes are nothing like ATYCLB.

I hope your right, just that ABOY chorus sounds too nice, if you know what I mean.

"The more you see, the less you know", sounds like something he has sung before, kind of like they are treading old ground, in fact thinking about it he sang that in Last Night On Earth, at the end of the first verse.

I thought that also but LNOE is...
"the more you know, the less you believe"
Completely different meanings, and i dont think you should rush to judge, wait till you hear it the way it was meant!!

Well, I am a U2 fan who...

a) is not that big on ATYCLB. It's pretty dry. Musically they could have written it in their sleep, lyrically I think Bono probably did write it in his sleep. It is a great album, just one of U2's 2 or 3 weakest.

b) in the group of fans that hopes for more AB than JT.

And from the few clips I've heard....

a) The music blows ATYCLB away. There's more creativity and excitement in these few tracks then that whole album combined. Lyric wise, well I'm a fan of the "mysterious metaphor" Bono, and he seems to have done away with that for directness. There's not layer upon layer anymore and that saddens me, but again so far the lyrics are looking better than most of ATYCLB, and we haven't heard what are meant to be the 'heavier' tracks yet.

b) Not sure about AB/JT. I actually hate those kind of comparisons or wishings anyway, but I know that deep inside me I want another AB and so I have to give room for everyone on here making those past album/song comparisons and wishings. SO on COBL, I hear a song that could have been written around UF Era, but was recorded in the Achtung Era. I love the way The Edge's guitar sounds during the falsetto building part leading to the "All You Look..." I'm afraid it may be the wind giving it that sound, but it kind of sounds like it's twisting, like something angry is really trying to escape out of something beautiful.

I hope you aren't dissappointed by this album. I think what we've heard gives it fantastic potential, but I'm not one for "Best blah blah since blah blah" hype.

rjhbonovox said:
Had two or three listens now to the new songs they played at totp and I must say I'm a bit disapointed. I just hope its that the sound quality is crap but I have a feeling that ABOY is nothing special, it does not sound like the ground breaking music I was hoping for, but it seems its more of the same as you were from "All that you can't leave behind", also the chorus of ABOY where he repeats the title 3 times is a bit repetitive. And I know everyone has been raving about COBL but that is another that is a bit disapointing for me. I love Vertigo and think thats a great raw track but the other two have not got me that excited. I just hope that its cos they are crap recordings, and maybe that is why I can't get into COBL and think Edge's guitar doesn't sound as great as it should, also anyone noticed the first line of COBL, "The more you see, the less you know", sounds like something he has sung before, kind of like they are treading old ground, in fact thinking about it he sang that in Last Night On Earth, at the end of the first verse. Anyway just my thoughts from somebody who was expecting a bit more diverse music as like Achtung Baby and Pop, and I was REALLY looking forward to this album. Oh well the album versions may blow my socks off I suppose, here's hoping!

i was just at my friends place and i brought over the bootlegs of the new songs and it sounded like crap because his speakers sucked, it couldn't handle the distorted sound that well and the bass didn't make it sound that good either.. it might be the reason

I think that all the people hoping for AB 2 are bound to be dissapointed to a certain extent. U2 is never going to do an album like that again, because they will never be in that place musically again. What I mean is that when they recorded AB, they were a band that had been incredibly successful in the 80s, but that had certain tag attached to their sound. AB is the product of a process or re-invention, as we all know.

Of course, AB is extraordinary first and foremost because of the sheer qualities of the songs, but also because recording an album like that, so new, innovative, and even risky, *precisely at that point in their career*, was just mind-blowing.

Today, U2 are a band that has been through almost every possible musical style, that has already gone against all odds, all rock and roll clichés. Can we really expect them to re-invent themselves YET AGAIN ? I don't know... And I'm not sure that's really what I would prefer.

What I'm hoping for is, of course, a certain level of musical exploration, but mostly passion and energy. Those two things, I think, have been lacking slightly in ATYCLB, Pop, and even Zooropa. Those albums have many other qualities, clearly ( I think Pop definately deserves the palm for innovation), but I feel something in those new songs I haven't quite felt for U2's work of the past 10 years (with a few notable exception like BD or Gone).

U2 have lost and gained fans with every album release, this one will be no different. Hopefully you will enjoy the album when you hear the real thing, but if some people don't like it in the end, that's just the way things go.

rjhbonovox said:

Well--lets go worse case here. Even though I love ABOY and COBL--lets say you end up not liking them. In the album reviews--I don't remember either of them being mentioned as the top songs on the album. So I think you still have alot to look forward to and still have a very good chance of being blown away by this album.

spencr00 said:
I don't like All Because of You...City of Blinding Lights is stunning

I'm in the same place right now, although I will wait to hear a nice, clean version of ABOY before condemning it completely.

I think both ABOY and COBL are crap. Suddenly, Vertigo sounds like a masterpiece after I listened to those other two songs. Hopefully, the studio versions are much better.

GibsonExplorer said:
I think both ABOY and COBL are crap. Suddenly, Vertigo sounds like a masterpiece after I listened to those other two songs. Hopefully, the studio versions are much better.

The studio versions ARE going to be a lot better! Of course they are!

ABOY and COBL recordings are crap quality. What can you expect?

When heard the Vertigo beach clip, I was very worried. It didn't sound like a single let alone the lead single. But when I heard the song in full quality, I was shocked. We are all going to be shocked when we hear COBL and ABOY in full CD quality.

This is the problem with leaks of these sorts. "Improperly" released material shouldn't be taken that seriously. Unless it's studio material of course, not live versions of underrehearsed songs.

Not only are these bootlegged, and albeit not recorded that well, and most of that is because of the actual crap sound system that was at TOTP. These are also live renditions of songs that have probably not been rehearsed that much. Think about it, there is always a 3/4 month gap from album release to start of tour, rehearsal probably hasn't developed that much, yet.

There are any number of reasons for not worrying. If anyone is going to get worked up about clips like these, here is a suggestion, don't dowload anymore. Listen to Vertigo. If someone doesn't like any of it, then I feel bad for you and your ridiculous expectations.

I wasn´t there but most people said the songs a TOTPs were not live, just Bono´s vocals. But anyway, cd quality sound could make the songs 1000 times better, the bootleg we already have is of really poor quality, so it´s not fair tu judge the songs basing the judgement on this version. I already love COBL as it is, and can´t wait to hear the studio version in all of its glory.

sometimes things hit people different ways, love both songs and can't wait for the album versions. Hopefully you will like the songs when the album comes out, I love ABOY, its pure rock n roll, with that 60s sound and great guitar.

rjhbonovox said:
Had two or three listens now to the new songs they played at totp and I must say I'm a bit disapointed. I just hope its that the sound quality is crap but I have a feeling that ABOY is nothing special, it does not sound like the ground breaking music I was hoping for...

also anyone noticed the first line of COBL, "The more you see, the less you know", sounds like something he has sung before, kind of like they are treading old ground, in fact thinking about it he sang that in Last Night On Earth, at the end of the first verse. Anyway just my thoughts from somebody who was expecting a bit more diverse music as like Achtung Baby and Pop, and I was REALLY looking forward to this album. Oh well the album versions may blow my socks off I suppose, here's hoping!

As I have said in a previous post, U2 have already discovered their own songwriting formula for success. And this formula is called "rehashing their old sounds." They started it with ATYCLB and the quintessential Edge riff in Beautiful Day. U2 have realized that if they just stick to sounding like the salad days U2 of Achtung and Johsua Tree era, while mixing some popular sound elements from older albums, then they will sell well.

U2 have already explored every possible avenue of "ground-breaking music" with Zooropa, Passengers and POP. And they probably realized there is no more light at the end of that tunnel so they are done making that kind of music. It's back to having Edge sound like Edge, and Bono to sing like Bono and Larry and Adam to just play hand-played music as opposed to synth bass (like Mofo) or drum loops.

So far, COBL has a bit LNOE lyrics, JT terrain, and an Achtung/ATYCLB modern feel to it. Vertigo has the pre-UF rocking U2 sound to it, mixed with Bono's ATYCLB singing style, and some Edge UF/JT singature chiming guitar elements. It seems quite clear what the intention it ...to rehash old song ideas and I kinda like it that way.

Let U2 be U2. I think they sound best when they just try to be U2 and not try to be ground-breaking. So if you're not impressed by the 80's and Achtung U2 sound, then Im sure you won't be impressed with this album. U2 are revisiting those sounds for their new album, or so it seems based on what we've heard so far and the song descriptions we've read.

Cheers,

J

Quality recording (i.e. original) will make all the difference hear. Right now the recordings we've got, save Vertigo, all are equivalent to standing outside a club when the band are playing inside with the doors closed. I think, for example, that Edge's solo in All Because of You will be electric when heard clearly with all the nuances and detail of the U2 sound. Also Bono's voice was getting really scratchy in the cold wet air of the car park whereas on the album version of City of Blinding Lights we will hear a soaring chorus with shocking clarity.

I'm really looking forward to hearing Miracle Drug and Love and Peace or Else clearly plus Yahweh. I expect that the album contains sounds that are new and quite diverse from one track to another.

Don't worry - it'll all be alright in 33 days!

Hey, you'll probably hate them when you hear the studio versions as well. They'll sound cleaner but they won't be new songs. You've heard the songs. If you don't like 'em, you don't like 'em.
Personally, I think there fantastic songs.
But there are people on this board who don't like One and Still Haven't Found.

To each his own I suppose.

I have a feeling I'll be going back to my Radiohead records by December. I find myself longing for a new Coldplay album.

Believe it or not, U2's best days ended with the last show of Popmart. I don't want to hear any more excuses about why they stopped being musically adventurous. Until Pop, U2 were the most hardworking band in the world. Now the best they can give us is a Who's Gonna Ride Temple Mix ripoff (COBL), a sad attempt at going retro (ABOY), and a song that possesses one of the most cringeworthy middle eights ever (Vertigo).

What is it with U2's recent obsession with the breakdown middle eight? Why doesn't the Edge solo over a steady rhythm like the Achtung record?

After several more listens, I have to stand by what I said earlier: the new songs are all crap. I have only a sliver of hope left for the rest of the record, since the one-quarter of the record we've heard so far really blows.

GibsonExplorer said:
I have a feeling I'll be going back to my Radiohead records by December. I find myself longing for a new Coldplay album.

Believe it or not, U2's best days ended with the last show of Popmart. I don't want to hear any more excuses about why they stopped being musically adventurous. Until Pop, U2 were the most hardworking band in the world. Now the best they can give us is a Who's Gonna Ride Temple Mix ripoff (COBL), a sad attempt at going retro (ABOY), and a song that possesses one of the most cringeworthy middle eights ever (Vertigo).

What is it with U2's recent obsession with the breakdown middle eight? Why doesn't the Edge solo over a steady rhythm like the Achtung record?

After several more listens, I have to stand by what I said earlier: the new songs are all crap. I have only a sliver of hope left for the rest of the record, since the one-quarter of the record we've heard so far really blows.

A bit on the harsh side IMHO, but I do agree with some of what you said. Pop was the last of their musical experimentation and it was such a shame to see all that just binned with ATYCLB. Fair enough, U2 are U2 and they should be allowed to sound like U2. I respect that. I think this album is really gonna appeal to War/TJT fans, it has the same type of vibe in the songs as those albums.

But from what I've heard of COBL and ABOY I'm not really blown away by them, I don't think they suck by a long shot (how can you look forward to a new Coldplay album and not like these songs?!) but they do sound like U2 by numbers IMO. I haven't had a buzz from a new U2 single now since Discotheque, that was really a wow! what the hell is that moment. Now it's more a, yeah, that was pretty nice. The songs have too much of a pop tip for me to really get into them. I hope I am wrong and the rest of the album is a beauty.

I think it really comes down to what you love about U2, some it's the epicness of TJT and the '80's in general, others it's the experiementation of the '90's. With this new record I feel it's gonna be a return the epicness of the '80's. So I'm afraid this like ATYCLB will not be my U2 record. They're at a different musical path to where I am now. In the 90's as U2 musical taste evloved mine's did as well, it was the most amazing musical time for me. I don't think ATYCLB is a poor record or what I've heard from HTDAA either. I just feel they're no longer makin' the type of music that I'm feelin' at the moment. But who's to say I won't in years to come. U2 always have a funny way of finding their place in my life.

GibsonExplorer said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Radiohead?? Now that us a band well past their creative peak.. As for Coldplay, well that is the most unexciting bland drivel out there by a "rock" band so I can't really see where you are coming from..

A message to GibsonExplorer: Have a nice time looking forward to 2 of the most boring and overrated bands in the last ten years. Radiohead haven't done anything half decent since OK Computer, the rest if experimental drivel that makes Passengers look like an experimental masterpiece. Kid A and Amnesiac are simply garbage, no matter how many times you listen to it. Thom Yorke's vocals are also nowhere near as good as OK Computer, maybe if he drove the music, rather than the music being in the foreground and him just mumbling then they may become good again.

As for Coldplay, give me a break. Everyone I know, including those working for music companies and who are in bands, feel they are way overrated, with a weak sounding singer, no sense of style or image and over simplistic tunes I could play after learning the guitar after 6 months. They will NEVER be able to create the variety or quality of music U2 have created. They have too many limitations and I feel all their music sounds the same, unlike U2.

Add to the fact the are both depressing bands who could never uplift me or make me feel great. At least U2 have the ability to play sombre, yet also uplifting songs. Radiohead and Coldplay just don't have that capacity.

In regards to the tunes I have heard from the new album, I think Vertigo isn't a bad start, I will have to listen to ABOY a lot more and hear it on the record because I don't like it that much at the moment, COBL I think sounds great and want to hear that on the record as well, it has great potential.

I don't think the record will be better than The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, they will never surpass those albums now, mainly because Bono's diminished vocal range limits the type of songs they can do now, he will never sound as good as before, however much you don't want to admit it, you know the music they create now will not sound as great because of that. But at least he is not as crap as Chris "crap vocal range" Martin

Last edited:
GibsonExplorer said:

Coldplay, now there's a band that are musically adventurous....

I agree, I was a bit disappointed too but you really have to wait until the album comes out to pass judgement. I recently listened to a very bad bootleg from the Joshua Tree tour and Streets sounded awful - if that was the only version I had ever heard of that song I would have thought it was crap...and Streets is a masterpiece....

So be patient - U2 has a "sound" that can't be delivered on a crap recording...and from what I can tell Edge's guitar was down in the mix quite a bit...

just my $0.02

Cheers,

Brady
http://www.intotheheart.com

I have been a fan of U2 since War. To me there are certain songs and albums that will NEVER top songs from the War-R&H era. I didn't love ATYCLB although there are some songs that have become favorites from the album. I like Vertigo a lot the first 50 times I heard it just like I did with Beautiful Day and Elevation but I am more unimpressed now that I over did it . Except for POP which I will defend forever there really wasn't a true love for an entire album since R&H. I like AB and the songs on there that I love, I love but some of the songs I skip.

My point is that I am not expecting to like everything on the album like I do from earlier albums, I have a U2 era. However I am sure that there will be songs that I can add to my favorite list. That is okay too. You don't have to love everything to be a fan.

Just to make another point, on each of these previous albums (Achung Baby, Zooropa, Pop) I could say to myself wow they have never done anything like that before, that sounds new and fresh, but with the last album you could say that sounds like U2 and with the live snippets of the new album it looks like its the same. The Edge's guitar is sounding more like Eighties U2 and so they are sounding like they are repeating themselves. It just doesn't seem to be grabbing me like when I first heard the Fly or Numb or Discotheque, when they were reinventing themselves changing their music beyond comparison with the past. Fresh and inventive seem to have been put aside for a case of being the biggest selling band in the world.

By the way I can't agree with the Coldplay statements about being experimental, their a decent band but as far as experimental music, they are not. Their next album will be interesting cos they have to change something or there just gonna sound like they are repeating themselves.

I don't think there's much left for them to do in terms of re-inventing themselves. The big re-invention was obviously AB where Edge started using a lot of distortion guitar and the songs had a dancy beat to them (Mysterious Ways, EBTTRT) They followed the same with Zooropa but actually laid back in the distortion on half the album (First Time, Baby Face, The Wanderer, Stay) so it was a half distortion like AB and half clean. POP was not a re-invention either it was the same as AB but more distortion (MOFO) and more dance oriented songs (MOFO, DYFL, Gone) basically a very heavy and dark produced album. Atyclb was no re-invention either it was just back to the basics of non distortion guitar. HTDAAB from all accounts it will have lots of distortion but because they have done distortion before it will also be no re-invention.

My point is that there is only so much re-invention that a band can do with the biggest going from clean to distortion guitar like AB so nobody should really be surprised that it is sounding the way we have heard so far (Vertigo and COBL, ABOY) From ATYCLB till the end of their career it will just be a mixture of previous U2 styles and i doubt they'll do a 180 and start playing country. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom