Worried here, not that impressed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hoodlem said:
Well said Gibson,

Anyone who discounts Radiohead does not have a valid opinion in my opinion.

:laugh: :laugh: Radiohead are a self-parody... overly serious prog, the same type of lyrics and atmosphere has been present on The Bends onwards..and they aren't remotely "alternative"

Rastat said:
... And record after record, the story is the same...
War die-hards can't stand the "experimental" approach of UF, UF lovers find JT beig safe and messianic, not really groundbreaking, JT lovers don't compltely like the bluesy and american roots of R&H, a lot of 80 fans feel alienated listening to AB, and give up after Zooropa (which AB lovers often find weird, because it doesn't have any guitars), then the same AB lovers don't "get" POP, and call it a failure, way too "ironic", and POP lovers (and the "experimental" U2 fans) usually hate ATYCLB because it's safe and not groundbreaking...

EVERY TIME U2 puts a new record out, a lot of people is disappointed... and pissed off... and think about the good old days...

... and I say, just listen to the songs as if they were from some unknown new band... don't try to pretend that they should be this or that way... don't expect too much... and...

...fuck the past, kiss the future!!!

So true. I swear I have met someone who has told me "Oh... that's when they lost me..." about every single U2 album ever released. Yet they gained new fans every time, are still extremely popular, respected, and relevant, and have one of the most dedicated following...

This thread was quite depressing and negative at the beginning, but many people came up with really good insight and perspective on the question of "innovation". I think that those who are worried and unconfident about HTDAAB are a small minority... but of course they have every right to express their opinions here :wink:

I'm just wondering if U2 will ever make a song that will be as rocking/popular as ie. We won't get fooled again, or Nothing Else Matters... or Immigrant Song, Knocking... you know...?
(not saying those songs are better than any U2 song)

Sleep Over Jack said:

:laugh: :laugh: Radiohead are a self-parody... overly serious prog, the same type of lyrics and atmosphere has been present on The Bends onwards..and they aren't remotely "alternative"

:scratch: What do you consider alternative then? I won't even get into the rest of what you are implying. Ridiculous.

bsp77 said:

:scratch: What do you consider alternative then? I won't even get into the rest of what you are implying. Ridiculous.

Well, if alternative means "something out of the mainstream" then Radiohead aren't alternative. They are one of the big boys now, selling out sheds all over the place. They have platnium albums. Yes their music can challenge you, but all depends on your definition of the term.

Anyway, back to the topic...

making fun of radiohead is like admitting ignorance...

...back on topic...

If what we have heard so far of this album is the best that it has to offer, and everything else is below this, then I will be disapointed.
If however, everything is of equal or greater quality(as I suspect it might be), thhen we are in for a special record indeed. I don't think we have heard the meat yet.

Hoodlem said:

If however, everything is of equal or greater quality(as I suspect it might be), thhen we are in for a special record indeed. I don't think we have heard the meat yet.

I really, really hope so...:sad:

I think people have reacted way too soon and due to all of these crap sounding MP3's, people have a distorted and unfair view of the new songs already. The fact you have listened to some of the songs already, will diminish the effect of the new album when you first hear it,as you are already familiar with some of the songs.

Before the internet and all of these MP3 downloads, it was great to hear a new record without anyway of hearing it beforehand to make a judgement i.e. nobody had any idea what they were going to hear when the Joshua Tree came out and were blown away.

It's hard, but the best thing is not to listen to any of the songs and base your judgement on the album versions and then you can form a more accurate conclusion about what you like or not.

Before the internet, the first I would hear of the album tracks would be on Radio 1 about 5 days before the album was released, like with Pop and Achtung Baby, the first I heard of the album tracks were on Radio 1 about 5 days before the albums were released. I hope radio 1 do the same with this album!

Back
Top Bottom