Words Vs Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Was just reading a good post about Mofo's lyric. And I appreciate what is being said. All to often, prob due to laziness on my part, the words pass me by.
While I am a bit of a wordsmith at heart and really enjoy cleverly constucted and poigniant lines, Its more the music that gets me.

Which do you lean more toward?

A bit of both, ideally. I think the best U2 songs happen with the perfect marriage of music & lyrics.

I can love a song that has good music but average lyrics, but I can hate a song that has good lyrics but average music.

I don't care very much about words, because when I try to study lyrics I can't guess what they mean,

Music, definitely. I often don't notice the lyrics much the first time i listen to a song, but obviously the music and melodies jump out at me more.

Average or even slightly subpar lyrics don't bother me too much, but really bad lyrics can eventually ruin my enjoyment of a song. That's what happens a lot with rap for me...the beat is great, but then I actually pay attention to the words :|

still, for a song with fantastic lyrics and boring music, the lyrics had better be pretty fucking amazing for me to listen to it...

Most rock songs have poor lyrics and I can deal with that, so I'll say "music" as well. People are always driven to the beat over the lyrics; why do you think that rap is such a valuable commodity to the industry?

That's what's so great about U2. The majority of their songs marry the lyric and melody perfectly making the impact of this artistic expression so powerful and spiritually fulfilling.
IMO. " You make me feel like I can fly ... so high... ELE VA TION!"

The way I see it, if the lyrics suck but the music is good, I'll listen to the song. If the music sucks though, I don't care how good the lyrics are, I'm not listening. Music has a much bigger impact. When the band get both right, they come up with some of the best, most moving songs they've written.

gman said:
... All to often, prob due to laziness on my part, the words pass me by.
While I am a bit of a wordsmith at heart and really enjoy cleverly constucted and poigniant lines, Its more the music that gets me.

I'm pretty much exactly the same way. I can happily ignore ordinary lyrics when there's a great tune behind them; but if the music doesn't grab me, then I won't love the song, no matter how good the lyrics are.
Like many others, it seems :D

99.99% of the time it's music over lyrics, for me. I grew up listening predominantly to English-speaking music and until we moved to Australia where I picked up the language I had zero idea what my favourite songs were all about, :) I appreciate the lyrics more of late and there are a few songs that attract me mostly because of their lyrics, but they're exception rather than a rule. And the lyrics have to be pretty damn spectacular, too.

With U2, as far as I'm concerned it's all about the music and Bono's voice. He has his fine moments but I can't say any of his lyrics ever blew me away.

Back
Top Bottom