Wondering why y'all hate HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hrm.. it's been 4 years. it's an okay album, it produced memorable tracks that really took off live.. but really i find myself going back to albums they made 20-25 years ago more so than an album they made 4 years ago. it's no big deal. i have a feeling their next album will be something i can enjoy more than bomb.

I completely concur with U2387's post (as you might guess if you read my opener). I think this album is brilliant (I think it helps if you like 'All Because Of You' -- it's one of my favorite songs -- because most people seem to be turned off by it).

Edge: "I think it's our best album, although perhaps not our most innovative. We may have succeeded almost too much in making an album showcasing the band because I think some of the songs could have gone into a more experimental area sonically. But as a collection of songs, it's our best ever."

Bono: "It is definitely the best songwriting. There's more great songs on this album than any other. There's no filler.... ...In retrospect, it's missing sonic cohesion."

Adam: "I would say I was as enthused about this record [as I was about The Joshua Tree], although it has a different kind of vitality and confidence to it."

Larry: "I think it's a really good record... ... It just doesn't quite hand together as well as ATYCLB.... ....It seems to be missing that same emotional thread."

The band obviously rate it highly, and I don't really mind the lack of "sonic cohesion" as I rather like an album by middle-aged guys that sounds like a Greatest Hits collection. I'm also not sure about this criticism that the songs don't coalesce or work together thematically. A lot of the usual U2 themes are present, but it seems to have more of a middle-aged perspective on mortality and looking back at youth. Some of those lines in COBL and ABOY are very touching in that regard, I think.

popacrobat said:
I think it's a great album. In my top 3 as far as U2 albums are concerned.

me too.

the songwriting is fantastic.

It really is a great album. I think people were starting to forget about U2 and boom they were smack back into your face with one of their best singles. They were a little soft with All That You Can't Leave Behind so they kind did a turnaround with the hard hitting Bomb.

I can't help but wonder what they have in store for us this time around. Keeping you on your toes...the U2 I love.

65980 said:
Edge: "I think it's our best album, although perhaps not our most innovative. We may have succeeded almost too much in making an album showcasing the band because I think some of the songs could have gone into a more experimental area sonically. But as a collection of songs, it's our best ever."

Bono: "It is definitely the best songwriting. There's more great songs on this album than any other. There's no filler.... ...In retrospect, it's missing sonic cohesion."

Adam: "I would say I was as enthused about this record [as I was about The Joshua Tree], although it has a different kind of vitality and confidence to it."

Larry: "I think it's a really good record... ... It just doesn't quite hand together as well as ATYCLB.... ....It seems to be missing that same emotional thread."

The band obviously rate it highly.

Really? These quotes sound like a band that was forced to stand by a poor album whilst in the middle of promoting it. Other than Adam's comment, these all have very negative connotations with a little positive spin added on for posterity. It sort of sounds like a band who would stop playing these songs 3/4 of the way through the tour supporting the album (see Vertigo Leg 5/6)

Personally, I have no real hatred for the album. I dislike War much more. But nothing on HutDub inspires any real emotion in me. At least I dislike most of War passionately. I never, ever expected to not feel the slightest bit passionate about U2. Not until 2004 at least.

~A.j.~

fandangamoq said:

Really? These quotes sound like a band that was forced to stand by a poor album whilst in the middle of promoting it. Other than Adam's comment, these all have very negative connotations with a little positive spin added on for posterity. It sort of sounds like a band who would stop playing these songs 3/4 of the way through the tour supporting the album (see Vertigo Leg 5/6)

~A.j.~

I believe those quotes are from U2 by U2 which came out well after they were done touring and promoting HTDAAB.

65980: I'm not so fond of "One Step Closer", but I think every other track on HTDAAB is really good, even outstanding.
my opinion is totally opposite. i say ONE STEP CLOSER is the only quality track on that cheesy last album.

pepokiss said:
I LUV TEH HUT-DAB!!!!11one

dude i swear your ava really pisses me off...i don't know why, it just really annoys me, would you mind changing it? it would seriously make reading your posts easier.....no, I am exaggerating a bit, but dude...................................

oh yeah and someone mentioned something about how they have the Vertigo bridge as their ring tone....I actually want that, now....my phone has the shittiest ring tones on it already and I've always wanted something U2 as my ring tone....if you could let me know where to get that and how to put it on my phone I'd really appreciate it, thanks :)

Back on topic, this is my breakdown of the album:

Vertigo - Lyrically unimpressive, but all in all it is an incredible song live, so I love it for that :up:

Miracle Drug - 7/10 ....I love the verse Edge sings, Larry's drumming, and Edge's guitar throughout the song... everything else just doesn't grab me, the singing melody is nothing special...The lyrics aren't the greatest but I try to focus more on the general aim/message of the song instead.

SYCMIOYO - Incredible...one of the few songs that actually builds and reaches a beautiful high point....touching song, beautifully crafted, I don't mind the slower beginning that some people find boring, I think it works well in the end...

LAPOE - I like how this song immediately creates this dark, very interesting mood which is maintained throughout the song....Never cared for the song much but it will grow on me...I don't like how blatant and cheesey some parts of this song are lyrically speaking...but with Larry's kickass explosive drumming and Edge's solo, I give this song a 7/10

COBL - Epic, brilliant. Nothing else really needs to be said, except that it annoys me when people say that they tried at another streets....that's just bullshit...

All Because of You - Never liked this song, annoying beginning, annoying melody, annoying production, annoying lyrics, annoying melody, and no subtlety, and annoying the way Bono sounds at parts.....yeah...overall, I'd say it's an annoying song

A Man And A Woman - Beautiful, some lyrics piss me off but all in all a great song, beautiful vocals, soothing bridge, and I love the percussive aspects of this song....

Crumbs From Your Table - Great song tainted by a sub par production...but I try to ignore that...8.5/10

One Step Closer - Successful attempt at an atmospheric, touching song... excellent, really...possibly my favorite song on the album....to the haters: have some patience, you probably don't like this song for the same reasons you don't like Grace, and Grace is just saturated with pure awesomeness (listen to Grace when it's raining, please!!!)

OOTS - A soaring anthem with a SPECTACULAR melody, but the song gets too big at various points, and gets big too quickly...a great song nonetheless, 8/10

Yahweh - Appropriate conclusion to the album, a great song again tainted by questionable production- probably improved live/acoustic

Overall rating: 7.5 maybe 8/10- Good, not Great, and not a masterpiece...with improved production give it another half point...I have a feeling over time it will grow on people :)

65980 said:

Thanks for the quotes. I wouldn't say y'ALL hate Bomb, some do, some find it ok, and some really enjoy it. And there was the little fact of U2:18 and no Elevation tour in Australia that influenced the 5th leg setlist, not the band not liking Bomb.

Edge: it is a strong song collection, but best ever ? Behind JT and AB maybe.

Bono: Disagree. JT had the most great songs, hands down (I think the one song on Bomb that is great is COBL). I would also say that because the album uses sprinkles of the band's past throughout the album it's cohesive in a sonic, if not thematic, way.

Adam: really ? Interesting...

Larry: Disagree. If there's any U2 album that was all about having 11 singles without a common sound or theme it's ATYCLB. Even Edge acknowledged that in interviews at the time.

Last edited:
Rob33 said:

oh yeah and someone mentioned something about how they have the Vertigo bridge as their ring tone....I actually want that, now....my phone has the shittiest ring tones on it already and I've always wanted something U2 as my ring tone....if you could let me know where to get that and how to put it on my phone I'd really appreciate it, thanks :)

Try this place

http://mobile17.com/

I made my NYD ringtone there a couple years ago now I think, so I haven't checked the site out for awhile, but when I did it was great. You could make a ringtone from any 30 second clip you choose from most any file on your computer.

bonocomet said:

Try this place

http://mobile17.com/

I made my NYD ringtone there a couple years ago now I think, so I haven't checked the site out for awhile, but when I did it was great. You could make a ringtone from any 30 second clip you choose from most any file on your computer.

alright sounds good, I'll check it out :up:

thanks comet :)

You're very welcome :) I hope it still works out well. I suppose it depends on the individual phone, but mine sounds excellent... I've kept it nearly two years now!

Rob33: One Step Closer - Successful attempt at an atmospheric, touching song... excellent, really...possibly my favorite song on the album....to the haters: have some patience, you probably don't like this song for the same reasons you don't like Grace, and Grace is just saturated with pure awesomeness (listen to Grace when it's raining, please!!!)
excellent quote Rob33! couldn't say it any better. both songs i really like so much. :applaud:

I love both Grace and One Step Closer. I think OSC was my favourite song on the album and the track that touched me the most the first time I heard it.

I have to say that HTDAAB is like my 4th favorite album...

AB
JT
POP
HTDAAB

Rob33 said:

dude i swear your ava really pisses me off...i don't know why, it just really annoys me, would you mind changing it? it would seriously make reading your posts easier.....no, I am exaggerating a bit, but dude...................................

Oh, come one...

what's NOT to love about the Cruiser? :happy:

"Hut-Dab is Nº1, baby!"
tom-cruise-4.jpg

U2girl said:

Larry: Disagree. If there's any U2 album that was all about having 11 singles without a common sound or theme it's ATYCLB. Even Edge acknowledged that in interviews at the time.

Hmm? Both albums have a common theme, it's just that people don't notice it unless it smacks them upside the head repeatedly while listening. Read U2 By U2 again and you'll get it. I would actually say that ATYCLB is more sonically cohesive than Bomb by a good margin...

LemonMelon said:

Hmm? Both albums have a common theme, it's just that people don't notice it unless it smacks them upside the head repeatedly while listening. Read U2 By U2 again and you'll get it. I would actually say that ATYCLB is more sonically cohesive than Bomb by a good margin...

Yeah, I think ATYCLB has probably one of the most obvious themes, compared to most U2 albums.

In my mind there is no doubt the bomb is a fantastic album,even today i have no problem playing it all the way through. And i cant say that about ATYCLB.

I don't hate it, but I do have to say I don't love it as much as I used to. It's a vastly better album than ATYCLB, in my opinion, but it's not one I've listened to much recently. Then again, I'm taking a bit of a hiatus from U2 these days.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I don't hate it, but I do have to say I don't love it as much as I used to. It's a vastly better album than ATYCLB, in my opinion, but it's not one I've listened to much recently. Then again, I'm taking a bit of a hiatus from U2 these days.

:tsk:

I find it hard to belive HTDAAB takes such a beating now. It feels like yesterday I downloaded the leak on these very boards and everyone was crazy for this album. Before then we were bashing ATYCLB in the face.

The only problem I've ever had with the Atomic Bomb album is again, not having a cohesive theme. But the 11 songs on that album are very good. And unlike ATYCLB, Adam is felt & heard on this album. :adam:

The thing I enjoy about HTDAAB is the B-side. To me this was the strongest B-side since AB.

-Man and A Woman
-Crumbs
-One Step Closer
-Original..
-Yahweh

Are all good to great songs that are each unique. Plus COBL is on this album. A top 10 U2 song. :yes:

LemonMelon said:

I don't see a theme in ATYCLB (and no, it doesn't need to smack the listener upside the head), I'd say there's more of a theme on Pop or Bomb (half or less of the songs, though - nowhere near as tight as JT or AB). The band itself said it was basically 11 singles for the road. I know I saw Edge on MTV Europe at the time: "there's no attempt to even unifly the material with a sound or a theme, it's just 11 great songs". (and we have all heard quotes on the hunt for singles of 00's U2)

ATYCLB is sonically cohesive but not after song 7 (by which time the "joy/pop album" they were going for is no more either). By picking various sonical bits off their past, so is Bomb, it's just not as obvious. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom