Womanfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I don't know if that's how everybody calls this song but it's a song they played in a tv show before the release of The Joshua Tree. I don't know if they ever recorded it but I know they never released it. I have a really bad version of it from that show with a bad sound but I always thought that that was one of U2's most exciting songs. Mainly because of the drums!! Anyway I was wondering if anybody knows where I could find a better version of it or maybe the video of them playing the song on that tv show. And I would also like to know what you all think about the song. I love it, it's got alot of energy and a countrish feel to it. It would be cool if the next album had songs with that kind of beat and attitude cause I think U2 needs more upbeat songs like that. Also I read some people saying over the years that parts of that song ended up in The Fly? Which part? I can't make the connection.

Womanfish (from atu2.com)

Hangman hang, hangman hang for me
Hangman hang, hang from your tree
Hangman, Hangman
Hangman hang, hangman hang for me

One horse town, one wind coming down
One horse town, the breeze will come and blow us down
One thin man, help me if you can
One thin man, the breeze will come and blow us down

Love is all you're needing
Love is all
Love is all
Love is all
Love is all

Hangman hang, Hangman hang for me
Hangman hang, Hang from your tree
One horse town, breeze will blow us down
One horse town, the breeze will come and blow us down

I agree with you. It does have a lot of energy and a country rock sound. Hopefully someone has access to great sound quality version of it and can help us out. The songs that seem to share a similiar type of sound / feel on JT are Trip and In God's Country. It would be interesting U2 would have further explorered this kind of music during the R&H period.

Off the top of my head this could be a compilation CD of U2 exploring country and country-rock.

LOCUST WIND

1. Going Down South (5:34)
2. Womanfish (4:26)
3. Trip Through Your Wires (Live version?)
4. In God?s Country (R&H DVD version?)
5. Jesus Christ
6. Testimony (U2 with Robbie Robertson)
7. Fortunate Son
8. Royal Station 4/16 (Melissa Etheridge with Bono on harmonica)
9. Van Diemen?s Land
10. Purple Heart (Bono & T-Bone Burnett)
11. Love Rescue Me
12. The Wanderer (U2 with Johnny Cash)
13. My Time Hasn?t Come (Edit 4:44)
14. Slow Dancing (U2 with Willie Nelson)
15. Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes (Bono & Larry)
16. Goodbye (Larry & Lanois with Emmylou Harris)

The first half consists mainly of similar faster tempo songs whereas the second half contains mostly slower tempo songs. Going Down South is an instrumental from the Salome Outtakes. Someone should make a shorter version of it. My Time Hasn?t Come is from a JT Tour soundcheck.

I love Womanfish. My MP3's not perfect, but it's still a great one to listen to, so much energy and so ... unexpected, at least to me. It's a bit of an odd one, which is probably why I love it.

Back
Top Bottom