With the new rarities...is the Joshua Tree vault completely empty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swan269

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I think that it has to be now...I know womanfish isn't on here but it could be one of these tracks...I know we have heard "beautiful ghost" but I am really looking forward to hearing these tracks...I hope they are raw and really "out there"

Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)
Desert Of Our Love
Rise Up
Drunk Chicken/America (i think this one is womanfish because the song sounds like kind of a drunk rant) :)

11 songs on the album, 7 B-sides, Beautiful ghost and now 4 other songs - 23 songs in total.

Album tracks (11 tracks)
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With Or Without You
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country
Trip Through Your Wires
One Tree Hill
Exit
Mothers Of The Disappeared

B-sides (7 tracks)
Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
Walk To The Water
Spanish Eyes
Deep In The Heart
Race Against Time
Silver And Gold
Sweetest Thing

Unreleased material (5)
Wave Of Sorrow (Birdland)
Desert Of Our Love
Rise Up
Drunk Chicken/America
Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience

30 second clips (5 tracks)
In The Doorstep - Golden Light
Tell Them The Story
Dance With Me Baby
And You Didn't Make Enemies
Diamond Store

Rare performances (1 track)
Womanfish

Which gets us a total of 29 tracks if I'm not mistaken if we suppose that the four new tracks are not any of the 30-second demos.

I don't know if I should include the soundcheck songs as well since the album was already out when the tour started, but Silver and Gold is included in the new set twice so I can't see why not.

1987-04-25 Daly City, California
My Time Hasn't Come
Unknown Song

1987-07-08 Brussels, Belgium
Unknown Song

1987-11-07 Denver, Colorado
Unknown Song
Unknown Song

When these are included we get a total of at least 34 tracks.
Then there's two more soundchecks from the Lovetown Tour.

So I guess if those unknown songs actually turned into something there's still material left in the vault.

The_Edge89 said:

1987-04-25 Daly City, California
My Time Hasn't Come
Unknown Song

I think that other unknown song was called "Move Out." It is, upon checking, that title on U2-Vertigo-Tour.

I wonder how many of the improvised ones are just off-the-cuff jam-type things. I really like My Time Hasn't Come though.

Also don't forget Heartland.

What do you mean with empty?
I'm sure there's still lots of unreleased music from that period. The question is how much of it are (almost) complete songs?
The way U2 work, they often concentrate on a small selection of songs that they feel will end up on an album (with some not making the cut and maybe ending up as B-sides). The other pieces of music are then discarded/not worked on further.

Yes, The Joshua Tree might have ended up as a double album. However, we don't know when the decision was made to go for a single one. If it wasn't near the end, then the remaining music for that project might be unfinished. And I don't know if that's worthwhile to listen to...

:)

Evidently the early version of Sweetest Thing is staying in the JT vault.

would anyone please be able to upload womanfish?

for some reason, i don't think i have that song.

coolian2 said:

If somebody buying this bigass set doesn't have their Best of 1980-1990 B-sides disk they aren't much of a fan :shame:

No, not the original Sweetest Thing from the Streets single. I was referring to the early demo that showed up online last year (or was it earlier this year?).

Personally, I like the demo version better than the single or B-side version.
But the Sweetest Thing just ain't one of my favorite u2 songs.

Miringeltje said:

I'm even less interested in Sweetest Thing, heh. I don't even know which of the three versions I favour, as I just never play it. It's by far my least favourite JT b-side and I'm honestly a bit surprised they chose to re-record it rather than Spanish Eyes for the Best Of.

But I'm a sucker for kittens, so the video is awesome.

Miringeltje said:

I agree, though I was listening to the 87 version last night and kinda getting into it. I was also kinda tipsy...not sure wha that says about it.

phillyfan26 said:

I think that other unknown song was called "Move Out." It is, upon checking, that title on U2-Vertigo-Tour.

Does anyone have the soundchecks The_Edge89 listed? I don't have these ones. And I'm curious to hear if "Move Out" is similar to "Move Up," the Race Against Time demo from the seven 30-second clips.

Speaking of those, I've always liked "In the Doorstep," which sounds very Jim Morrison-esque to me.

As for the vault being entirely empty, I highly doubt it. The band record all of their jam sessions, etc. So, not only do I doubt that they've released all of the completely-finished or nearly-finished songs they have from that time period, it's also clear that they're not releasing tapes of all of their jam sessions, etc. I'd love to hear the tapes of Edge's first foray into Streets....:drool:

Miringeltje said:

Awh, the you tube video with the kitties, right?
That actually was around this time last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AFpxZRxbyU

The guy's added more description since I last looked at this. It looks as though he has plenty more tapes but isn't releasing them. :mad: From the way he describes it, this recording was more as a test of the instrument than an intentional demo or something. If they routinely do this just to test the equipment, there must be weeks' worth of stuff out there.

Utoo said:
And I'm curious to hear if "Move Out" is similar to "Move Up," the Race Against Time demo from the seven 30-second clips.

No, not even close.

I'll upload the 1987-04-25 songs now.

1987-04-25 unreleased songs from soundcheck (remove gap between 'send' and 'space' to make links work):

Move Out: http://www.send space.com/file/20cfrr

My Time Hasn't Come: http://www.send space.com/file/u72f0i

My guess is there is more in their vaults from the JT sessions. But its probably a bunch of shit that isnt even very coherent. They probably had more songs they worked on but they were probably used on later albums. U2 are notorious for doing that. Or taking a section of a song from a prior album session and morphing it into a new song.

I'm looking forward to these new demos but I have a feeling they are going to be for the most part throw aways. I dont care for Beautiful Ghost. If the these new ones are like that, then its just filler for me. Still cool though that U2 even did this.

Personally I dont consider songs/jam sessions the band worked on during the Joshua Tree tour part of the Joshua Tree sessions. The album was already out! LOL If anything you could say they were demos/jams for Rattle And Hum, but not Joshua Tree.

Popmartijn said:
What do you mean with empty?
I'm sure there's still lots of unreleased music from that period. The question is how much of it are (almost) complete songs?
The way U2 work, they often concentrate on a small selection of songs that they feel will end up on an album (with some not making the cut and maybe ending up as B-sides). The other pieces of music are then discarded/not worked on further.

Yes, The Joshua Tree might have ended up as a double album. However, we don't know when the decision was made to go for a single one. If it wasn't near the end, then the remaining music for that project might be unfinished. And I don't know if that's worthwhile to listen to...

:)

i just meant are all of the 'complete' songs out of the vault now. I am not really talking about Salome type things

Back
Top Bottom