With Boy, October, & War being re-released..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
and the Edge overseeing the remastering process do you think we'll see some rare gems on the next tour. Edge is the one who has final say-so in the setlist??

Listening to October, by the way the vinyl pressing sound so sweet, I could really see them playing Gloria, I Fall Down, or even Rejoice. October is such a red-headed stepchild setlist wise for U2 the past 4 tours.

I do believe it's entirely possible, and that's an exciting prospect. If they take advantage of this, it could end up being my favorite thing about the remasters. :wink:

Gloria ON OCCASION is about all we're ever gonna see from October. It's unfortunate, because I would love to hear I threw a brick through a window really badly.

I think that Edge does have a lot of the say for the Setlists from what i've seen. I know he was the guy of the four that axed Discotheque from the Vertigo setlists, just didn't feel like it worked.

Edge is the one who has final say-so in the setlist??

I doubt that. I don't think any one of the members has the final say.

But it's possible they have listened to the old stuff again and decided it's not all bad :)

I read somewhere there has even been some new recording in 2008, so who knows.

Of course he has a lot to say, but final say? If anyone has final say, I'm sure it would be the singer, this is pretty common in most bands.

honestly, I really wouldn't be surprised if the edge had the final say for U2 and what they play. I know Bono didn't want to play I Still Haven't Found on Popmart, but I think somebody (i dont believe it was edge, maybe it was??) said we're playing it, so they played it.

i do obviously think that bono has a ton of pull for the setlists too- I think Miss Sarajevo was probably his idea to play on Vertigo since he's said that's one of his favorite songs. One of these things we'll probably always be left speculating on.

honestly, I really wouldn't be surprised if the edge had the final say for U2 and what they play. I know Bono didn't want to play I Still Haven't Found on Popmart, but I think somebody (i dont believe it was edge, maybe it was??) said we're playing it, so they played it.

i do obviously think that bono has a ton of pull for the setlists too- I think Miss Sarajevo was probably his idea to play on Vertigo since he's said that's one of his favorite songs. One of these things we'll probably always be left speculating on.

Well I was thinking more about choices like Red Hill Mining Town not being on the setlist because Bono didn't feel like he could sing it night after night. I think that's more of a final say rather than I like this song or I like that song.

I think Paul has as much say as the four band members. I'm sure he pushed for the crappy performances of the warhorses on PopMart.

Now this I can almost for certain say is false.

Why is that? it's widely publisised that the only reasons they've played bullet or UTEOTW on the last 2 tours is because Paul loves them.

I think, of the older songs, we might get ones that used to be live fav's, like Two Hearts or Surrender (and HOPEFULLY October!)

I'd absolutely love if if U2 brought in "The Drowning Man" and "Like a Song". Those are really great songs! Also, "The Unforgettable Fire"!

I'd rather The Edge decide the setlists. He just seems a lot smarter and less obvious than Bono's cheap attempts to be loved by everyone, including idiot bellweather fans. He also wanted the single album version of "The Joshua Tree"; the songs Bono wanted to include don't meet U2's formerly high standard. Also, "Miss Sarajevo" is okay, but it's over-rated, especially how they perform it now on keyboard. Boring.

I've also heard "The Edge" wants to bring back "The Drowning Man", so that puts him in my favor.

I'd rather The Edge decide the setlists. He just seems a lot smarter and less obvious than Bono's cheap attempts to be loved by everyone, including idiot bellweather fans.

1. There's no "a" in "bellwether".

2. You mean "fair weather" fans. I have no idea what constitutes a bellwether fan.

3. Your bile is unfounded and unwelcome.

I think that Edge does have a lot of the say for the Setlists from what i've seen. I know he was the guy of the four that axed Discotheque from the Vertigo setlists, just didn't feel like it worked.
Yep and that's why he is out of the voting now. ;) What a crazy thought by him there, discotheque vertigo was one of the highlights of the Vertigo tour.

No. I think the last tour was the official "let's bring back the first three albums" setlist.

Bullet needs to be retired until at least 2020. I think they just play this song every night to make themselves feel more hardcore and less poppy. A Sort of Homecoming would be a welcome set list addition.

Will Boy songs appear like last tour? Maybe. However don't expect anything outside of the usual from October or War.

Larry is on cruise control these days and probably wouldn't want to put the work and passion into playing those songs.

I'm not even sure Bono could sing those songs these days anyways.

Larry is on cruise control these days and probably wouldn't want to put the work and passion into playing those songs.
yeah, he's probably just sitting there because he fears he doesn't have enough money to retire comfortably

umm

Am I the only one who thinks Larry does a pretty decent job live? U2s rhythm has always been a live staple.

If Bullet is played next tour I'm gonna eat 2 hats for lunch.

Why is that? it's widely publisised that the only reasons they've played bullet or UTEOTW on the last 2 tours is because Paul loves them.

The only reason? Where did you see this?

Both Paul and U2 have often stated that Paul stays away from the musical aspect of U2, but if you can show me he has input I'd like to see it.

Given the last tour, I doubt Bono would not be able to do the songs off the first three albums.

Given the last tour, I doubt Bono would not be able to do the songs off the first three albums.

Why do you say that?

Personally a couple things make me wonder:

1. It seems to me that at least since ZooTV he has struggled to sing the verses and chorus of New Year's Day with the passion of the studio version. The same with Sunday Bloody Sunday.

2. Those songs are so energetic and passionate. Bono seems to not give a lot of songs 100% when on tour (maybe to preserve his voice.) With older songs he has to maintain a level of passion. The way he currently treats songs live, I'm just not sure he can.

Because I heard the Boy/October/War songs off the last tour ?

He hasn't sounded this good in years. He's almost 50 so he won't sound like he did at 23 and it won't be the same as the studio take.

edit: also consider his vocals for Mandela's birthday and Islington Chapel, it seems like he's even up a notch voice-wise.

Bono is a thousand times better as a vocalist today than he was in 1981. Sorry. You may find his older vocals more enjoyable, but we're discussing ability here, not subjective opinion.

Based on this, it's safe to assume that Bono can handle any song from the first three albums, though he may have to adjust his take on it slightly.

Bono is a thousand times better as a vocalist today than he was in 1981. Sorry. You may find his older vocals more enjoyable, but we're discussing ability here, not objective opinion.

Based on this, it's safe to assume that Bono can handle any song from the first three albums, though he may have to adjust his take on it slightly.

I agree. I also think that his voice was far more wide-ranging, consistant and strong on the Vertigo tour than it has been since perhaps the ZooTV/Zooropa tour. I also thought The Edge's live guitar playing had taken a huge leap forward as far as nailing certain songs consistantly show after show compared to The Elevation tour. Keep an electric guitar away from him this upcoming tour (or just leave it unplugged - HA!) and I'll be happy.

IMO, the only significant so-called weak link of the four this coming tour is Larry's drumming. I was really surprised and disappointed how some songs, especially "The Fly" on the Vertigo tour featured vastly simplified drumming from previous tour's versions.

I would really hope they'll make an effort to occasionally throw in "Two Hearts," "Surrender," "The Unforgettable Fire" and especially a few real rarities like "A Celebration," "Lemon" and a couple truly *holy shit* moments like playing strong, well-rehearsed versions of never before played cuts like "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "The Three Sunrises."

T.B.

Both Paul and U2 have often stated that Paul stays away from the musical aspect of U2, but if you can show me he has input I'd like to see it.

I'm pretty sure there was an article in Rolling Stone in the wake of PopMart rehearsals where Paul McGuiness said that until two weeks before the show started they weren't going to play Still Haven't Found or Pride. It was McGuiness who convinced them to put those songs back -- he said it would be like going to a Zeppelin concert and not hearing "Stairway to Heaven" or going to a Stones concert and not hearing "Satisfaction."

Back
Top Bottom