"With bands, if they make an album you don't like, it's all over..." - Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Check out the full quote:

"With bands, if they make an album you don't like, it's all over. Whereas if your favourite director makes a movie you don't like, you wait for the next one. It's a strange thing."

-- Bono, 2001

I totally agree with him. It is odd how we apply a different standard to music in comparison to other art forms. So many people who were disappointed with ATYCLB, for example, aren't really too excited for the next U2 album, simply because of one album. Does that one album define the entire gamut of the band's future? No, of course not. Not one of U2's albums has done that. Yet many behave as though this particular one does, simply because it didn't satisfy them or meet some sort of subjective criteria. I find this interesting. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
bonosgirl84 said:
you say you totally agree with him.

are you excited about the next album, mr. griffiths?
bonosgirl84 - We meet again. I've missed you. :sexywink:

You are so sneaky. I see what you're getting at. I loved ATYCLB, and have listened to it countless times, and it has really helped me out at various times. If I were 40 years old, I'd probably consider it their best work to date. That said, it's a tad safe for the kind of music I expect from U2 at this moment in my life (and God knows, U2 should cater to my every expectation and whim). Now, to answer your very good and deceptively complex question, I have to say, yes, I am excited, but it's not the same kind of feeling as I had months before ATYCLB was released. This time, it's a little more reserved, perhaps a little more open to possibility...yes, that's it - open. I've learned over the years to tame my expectations when it comes to U2. I'm sure the raw excitment will hit me a few weeks before the release. Right now it's a mellow anticipation. Even though I completely agree with Bono, in that I think music shouldn't be treated differently than any other art form when it comes to sustained interest over a period of time, I still find my interest waining at times when it comes to U2. Is this because my expectations and the music don't always match? It might be, but I'm not sure. It's a good question though. So many factors, so many factors....

How about you, bonosgirl84? Are you excited for the new album?

Last edited:
please, call me bg. all my friends do.

am i excited about the new album? well, its hard to tell. i was buying books in the record store tonight and saw a sign at the register announcing that i could reserve a copy of U2's new album. i had to laugh out loud. it doesn't even have a title yet. and are we ready for that kind of hype?

i am wary of U2's next move. i've been a fan since unforgettable fire. i remember wondering what achtung was all about. but i loved it. i struggled through zoo and pop. such changes. i exhaled with relief when the first best of was released. and i listened carefully to ATYCLB. i was not as impressed as i'd hoped to be. i think some of bono's worst lyrics are on ATYCLB. other than that, it's a nice safe album. a few nice songs, but overall, pretty boring.

hmm. excited about the new album.

well, i didn't reserve my copy, so i guess that speaks for itself, right? :sexywink:

Re: "With bands, if they make an album you don't like, it's all over..." - Bono

Michael Griffiths said:
Check out the full quote:

"With bands, if they make an album you don't like, it's all over. Whereas if your favourite director makes a movie you don't like, you wait for the next one. It's a strange thing."

-- Bono, 2001

so thats why bono made M$Hotel (the movie) now i see, yes!

me i dont really care much about their new album, they have nothing to say(atyclb) and their are other bands doing a better job at making a rock&roll album. but cant wait for the tour. their album might suck but not the tour never.:drool:

Michael Griffiths said:
....So many people who were disappointed with ATYCLB, for example, aren't really too excited for the next U2 album....

I haven't 'met' one U2 fan who hasn't been excited about the next LP. It's been talked about in the U2 Community for months, maybe even a year or so.....I know that's not the point you're making...sorry.

I think that film is somewhat different to music in that, although actors/directors tend to receive the most acclaim and attention, there're dozens or hundreds of crucial people involved in the process who also have to perform at the top of their abilities so that a great film can be created. Whereas in music, the responsibility for the album's quality falls on a far lesser number of shoulders, so the intensity of criticism is higher.

I agree that one album doesn't define the entire future, but I guess it's just natural for people to always look for the beginning of a downward spiral when they're disappointed with the latest offering.

I'll confess, sometimes I just plain dread to listen to the new releases by the artists/bands I care about because I have this "ohmygod what if it stinks?????" feel in my stomach.

Hi Michael, interesting point, it got me thinking...I might be wrong but, if that?s the case, maybe because many people didn?t like Pop (not my case, definitely), it was supposed to be the end for them, right? And it was not, I mean, they made ATYCLB which is, for my personal taste, a nice album, it was somehow special for me for sometime, only not anymore as others still are.
As for my expectations, I won?t deny they are high, as usually, but they never disappointed me. They are still ahead in time from any other bands or musicians, at least for me.

MT

Last edited:
I don't agree, because I'm proof. I did not like Pop, but it wasn't 'all over.' I liked ATYCLB and I am excited over the new album.

So I treat albums like movies, or books. If I like it, I take it, if I don't, I leave it. I thought that's how it was for everyone. It makes more sense than people who force themselves to like everything out of some false sense of 'loyalty' or 'being a bad fan', or even hating the artist for disappointing you. I don't see a problem with only liking the works that appeal to you. The artists probably don't even expect everyone to like everything.

Last edited:
I agree with U2K I hated Pop and loathed Zooropia (utter rubbish!) but it never stopped me loving the band. I dont understand why people were disappointed with ATYCLB its a very good album brought out at the right time.
As for some of Bonos worst lyrics being on it I dont think so, they are some of the deepest and moving lyrics he has ever written just listen to Kite.

By the way MG I am 41 years old and have been a fan for about 22 years and I dont think they have done their best work yet, whats being 40 got to do with it anyway?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree that one album (or movie etc...) should not decide the "fate" of an artist. I will say it's hard to get people interested again if the album/movie is not as succesful as previous - or even best - work. And in music - rock music in particular - there is a distinct idea that old musicians - "old" being anything over 40 - can not keep up with younger competiton and are not worth your attention.

I personally like about half of Pop and Zooropa but I really enjoyed ATYCLB, so those two didn't put me off U2 for good. And I am excited about the next album, and even more so, the next tour.

Was Zooropia the follow up to Zooropa? Did I miss something? :wink:

This is an interesting statement to ponder...I don't think that it's necessarily "all over" when a popular band drops a lemon, but it does hurt their chances to sell their next album. I think ATYCLB is a great counter example of that. Once the ball gets rolling you can't stop something that keeps gathering steam.

As for Mr. Shaun Vox, I disagree with you wholeheartedly. U2 is making some of their most relevant music ever. Whether it's a little on the slower tempo, softer side, it's still relevant and powerful. Tempo and volume does not make powerful music completely. With U2 it's always been about passion and mood. My gut feeling is that you'll like this new album much better than the last few...guitar/volume wise.

some random thoughts of mine:

-I'm looking forward to the new album because its U2 and I am generally excited to take the next part of the journey. I am intrigues by the comments/speculation about what it will sound like etc but am waiting to see.

Well, clearly not everyone thinks they're washed up if they make one album they don't like (U2Kitten, for example). I thought ATYCLB was a great album, but "safer" than AB or Zooropa. But the "Elevation" show was the best U2 concert I've ever seen in my life.....beat ZooTV, JT tour and the Conspiracy of Hope!! :drool: I just know that I'm excited as heck for the next album and tour.

I'm more of a song-by-song person. There are probably 3-5 songs on each album that I can't live without, a few more I really enjoy, and the rest are give or take. I've never been able to like or dislike and album as a whole, based on its overall sound, or the tour, or the persona of the band, or whatever. The songs themselves can be so entirely different, I pick in choose more specifically. Take, for example, Achtung Baby: I'll readily admit it is one of, if not the greatest album ever. My favorite U2 album? No. There are songs I LOVE (Acrobat, EBTTRT, One...) and songs I wouldn't mine never listening to again (Mysterious Ways, Tryin To Throw Your Arms...) so I can't really say overall how I feel about the album. I dunno if that makes any sense, and to answer the question, I AM excited about the new album, but even more so about the songs. It wouldn't make any difference to me if music consisted only of released singles. As long as there's enough diverse, original material, I'm ready for what's next!

Reggie Thee Dog said:

As for Mr. Shaun Vox, I disagree with you wholeheartedly. U2 is making some of their most relevant music ever. Whether it's a little on the slower tempo, softer side, it's still relevant and powerful. Tempo and volume does not make powerful music completely. With U2 it's always been about passion and mood.

:applaud: :up:

MG - you raise an interesting point. Could it be different because most of the directors who would be in the category described would not be making movies for the teen scene and music, at least right now, is all about the young'uns?? Different values, perspectives at play?

I'll tell you one thing:

I don't think there's another band on the planet whose forthcoming albums are as eagerly antcipated as u2's always are.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
This is an interesting statement to ponder...I don't think that it's necessarily "all over" when a popular band drops a lemon, but it does hurt their chances to sell their next album. I think ATYCLB is a great counter example of that. Once the ball gets rolling you can't stop something that keeps gathering steam.

Yep.

I would hope people wouldn't give up on a band simply because they made one "bad" album (and some of the albums that some of you aren't fond of, others personally love, so to call one album a "lemon"-that's all a matter of opinion).

Personally, I feel kinda bad for U2, because their fans want so many different things-some would love to hear more stuff along the lines of ATYCLB this next time around, others want to hear stuff similar to the 90s music, and so on and so forth. 'Tis the one downside to being such an eclectic band.

Originally posted by Reggie Thee Dog
As for Mr. Shaun Vox, I disagree with you wholeheartedly. U2 is making some of their most relevant music ever. Whether it's a little on the slower tempo, softer side, it's still relevant and powerful. Tempo and volume does not make powerful music completely. With U2 it's always been about passion and mood. My gut feeling is that you'll like this new album much better than the last few...guitar/volume wise.

Agree wholeheartedly with this. I know I could relate to a lot of their recent songs.

Anywho, as for the new album, I, personally, am very excited about it, mainly 'cause this is the first time I've been involved in news along these lines, hearing about my favorite band's album just getting finished up, hearing the rumors about what it'll sound like and everything, and so on and so forth. I cannot wait. :hyper:.

Angela

Interesting parallel...

as directors don't often get ostracized for incorporating innovative media of the electronic variety.

:sexywink:

One of the reasons for the disparities between these arts is the fact of removal from creation. Where a director or production company releases the film, and that's the end of it (although DVD "extras" are changing the reality of the situation)... however, musical artists compose a work, release it, and are forced to revisit and replay the material through live shows and appearances. This starts to develop a tougher standard of expectation... which is often left unsatisfied, as the build up of tours, and the hype of albums start to out perform the work itself.

:down:

Plus I'm pretty sure the James Cameron Bootleg Outtakes aren't exactly as sought after as some of the more renowned recording artists out there... at least I sure friggin hope so.

Last edited:
Pinball Wizard said:
Interesting parallel...

as directors don't often get ostracized for incorporating innovative media of the electronic variety.

Well, George Lucas sure copped a lot of criticism for overstuffing the Star Wars prequels with the innovative media of the electronic variety, :)

I think what happens with a lot of ppl who aren't very deep thinking and observant is, when they like an album or movie and the associate those who made it with being good, then when the bad one comes out they're like, oh they suck now, and they never notice to give them a chance when they put out a good one again. That's stupid. Me, I never pay any attention to directors, only actors, so the movie thing would make no difference to me.

Also take a look at how many movies play in a theater ( not counting teeny indie releases) and the overall selection of music out there. There are far fewer movies out there that people actually watch than number of Cd's. So with music the market might in fact be prone to people jumping ship faster.

Also take this into account people identify themselves in a lot of cases with the music they listen to more so than the movies they watch, so in fact you might see people not wanting to affiliate with a band with a crap album for the sake of not being misunderstood.

Incidentally for the .000001 percent of the population that cares I just got back froma great vacation.

Saracene said:

Well, George Lucas sure copped a lot of criticism for overstuffing the Star Wars prequels with the innovative media of the electronic variety, :)

No, I think it was just a carry-over from the fact that he tampered with the other films...

:sexywink:

U2girl said:
I agree that one album (or movie etc...) should not decide the "fate" of an artist. I will say it's hard to get people interested again if the album/movie is not as succesful as previous - or even best - work. And in music - rock music in particular - there is a distinct idea that old musicians - "old" being anything over 40 - can not keep up with younger competiton and are not worth your attention.

I personally like about half of Pop and Zooropa but I really enjoyed ATYCLB, so those two didn't put me off U2 for good. And I am excited about the next album, and even more so, the next tour.

I agree 100%. In the case of U2, I usually buy whatever comes out next regardless. For other bands, I would sample the record even if the previous one was a dud. If I like the record then I'll buy it.

let's play interference SATs!

imo... directors are to producers as actors are to the artist.

a great performance by an actor can make up for sub-par directing... but only to a certain point, where-as a great director can cover up for sub-par actors, but also only to a certain point.

a great artist can cover for a sub-par producer, up to a point (see pop), and a great producer can turn crap into gold (see pharrell's work with justin timberlake).

so you do make an interesting comparison, but i think it's slightly off base. actors who make a flop of a movie certainly do get killed in the press... the director, who may be at fault for the flop, doesn't get killed in public as much, but if they continue to make bad movies they'll be phased out. a great musician can get killed over a flop album, while it may have been the fault of the production. but if a producer gets a bad rep, he'll slowly be phased out and won't find any work.

Back
Top Bottom