Window In The Skies... Wow...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Disciple

New Yorker
I just listened 2 this song on my iPod again.... it's been close 2 a year now, already since it was released.

What a beautiful lyric, melody and mood this song has! I don't think it's "taken off" yet live, and could probably use an extended outro when played live. I hope it happens on the next tour.

I know there's plenty of venom towards this song on this forum, much of that 2 do with the sour taste the U218 project left in our mouths, but I'm just wondering if anybody still gets goose bumps (in a good way) listening 2 this song again....

Agree. I just heard it for the first time yesterday if you can believe it, and as always, I was impressed.

I guess it's the 'Electrical Storm' (another one I loved) holdover before the next album.

I think U2 are actually getting better at capturing songs in the studio all the time. They sort-of flew by the seat of their pants in the 80s, experimented in the 90s, and now finally they seem to know how to make the sounds they want and the records they want, in the way they intend when they set out.

The Disciple said:
I just listened 2 this song on my iPod again.... it's been close 2 a year now, already since it was released.

What a beautiful lyric, melody and mood this song has! I don't think it's "taken off" yet live, and could probably use an extended outro when played live. I hope it happens on the next tour.

I know there's plenty of venom towards this song on this forum, much of that 2 do with the sour taste the U218 project left in our mouths, but I'm just wondering if anybody still gets goose bumps (in a good way) listening 2 this song again....

Yeah, but probably Bono didn't spend so much times on the lyrics, you know........
bullets
heat
sun
stone
love
enemies
please
SOUL
KNEES
sky
HEAD
HEART
shame

:wink: It looks like a "Best Of the lyrics", too!
Probably the only new word Bono used is "rhapsodize"!
Good song, though!

The Disciple said:

WITS is one of their very best non-album singles IMO. :heart: :heart:

Yeah, I suppose I get goosebumps. I listened to it a ton when it first came out -- loved it. It only comes on once in a while now, but when it does, I'm all over it.

...100% agreed. Still I do hope, U2 might think about this tune to be played in the setlists of the next tour.

I love it! The message of love is so transparent and transcendent. It reminds me of the discussion going on in this forum about U2 and love songs. It's a prime example of how this song can be about the love of God, the love of a spouse/partner, or love for humanity in general. Bono's voice sounds amazing and the band is in good form as well. I hope they use it as a closer on the next tour.:drool:

i love that song and alot of people who arent that fond of U2 love it as well.
sadly i dont think its going to make it to the next tour.

When i think of WITS i think of a dog that eats himself sick and has to go outside and vomit everywhere. Then as he stands there over his mess he is confused so he tries to eat it again, as if it will be okay the second time around.

Mrs. Garrison said:
When i think of WITS i think of a dog that eats himself sick and has to go outside and vomit everywhere. Then as he stands there over his mess he is confused so he tries to eat it again, as if it will be okay the second time around.

Finally something I can agree with.

Hopefully this will wind up like Electrical Storm--not played on the tour to make way for a more important new song, or unearthed old one.

solid song
not one of their best ever but still very good
never fails to make me smile

that's probably why it's not that loved over here though
as the the opinion that songs that don't make you feel like listening to in a dark room pondering mortality can't be that good is very much present here

Mrs. Garrison said:

I seen a greyhound eat its own sick once..........I was near barfing myself

It is a song that is very refreshing song for me. I love it a lot and pump up the volume in the car whenever I listen to it.

Great song to me:wink:

I'm a huge huge fan of the band, for over 2 decades now, but, just no on this one. Not a fan of the song, not one bit, and I pray this is not the direction they're heading.

I just listened to it again the other day actually... I really like this song.

I read in a magazine that Bono said he was learning piano and this song came from him tinkling around on his piano. (I read it in a mag in the library and have never been able to find it again.) Q Magazine maybe.

It's one of those U2 songs that got stuck in my head, initially I was amazed by the video, then I thought it's kind of a OK song, but lately it has come back and haunted me like a classic U2 does.

I always liked it. I like U2's attempts at their pop/perfect single tune quest.
(the new Sweetest thing, Beautiful day, Wild honey, Stuck in a moment, In a little while, A man and a woman, Original of the species, WITS)

COBL_04 said:
I love from the start till about the end of the first verse, from then on it starts to drag on a bit

Exactly the same for me. I do love the intro though. Especially since I saw this fan made video on youtube for the song. The intro is sung over a shot of a sunset over a river (I'm guessing from the rest of the video it's the Liffey) and it works really well.

The chorus is easily the worst they have ever written.I absolutely despise this song and it better not be on the next tour at the expense of a classic. I don't know what Bono was smoking when he called it one of their best ever songs.

Back
Top Bottom