'Window in the Skies' vs. 'Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorwho said:

I have to agree with Sicy: :ohmy:

In the U.S., this U2 song plays quite frequently on the radio during the holiday season. This and the original "Do They Know It's Christmas" (which is the far, FAR superior version). And of course, all the cutesy songs by Madonna, Mariah, Wham, etc. Even though some are remakes, they've become the new staples of Christmas, just as Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Elvis were (and still are) years ago.

The song is readily available for download, legal or otherwise. :shifty:

As for the topic of this thread, sorry, I didn't hear any of "It's Christmas" in WITS, but I'll listen to WITS a few more times to see if I pick up on it. It's just that WITS is an original song with a Beatles vibe to it, and "It's Christmas" is a Specter remake. So other than perhaps the songs having some 60's roots to them... :shrug:
No need to apologize; we all here different things afterall.

I guess there's some comparison re: Bono's singing, but otherwise I don't really see it.

BTW Xmas is far, far superior to WITS, which is an altogether forgettable tune. No one will care about it much (outside this place) in a couple of months - in fact, if we got a whole new album rather than another compilation I doubt WITS would be in the top half of it. It's OK, I don't hate it or anything...but it's not up to the standard of a great U2 song.

WITS is the most overrated U2 song since Mercy...

I went and listened to Christmas and, Loris, I think you’re on to something. In that they both have in common a certain spirit. They pursue the goal of creating a joyful song and a pop song. Joy = celebratory, jubilant, hope filled, uplift, warm & bright & sunny. Pop = immediate, infectious, concise, catchy, melody, hook, etc. Also, I believe that is why people are seeing a similarity between Window and Species.

Listening to Christmas, I was reminded of Spanish Eyes. I listened to it and aren’t they like cousins? (though I am going to make an edit by removing the dreamy-like, gradual guitar build up intro before the song kicks into gear - the first 0:26).

From the get-go, Wild Honey has been generally disliked. At the time, I too was put a bit off balance by it – has U2 ever done a song like this before? Back then and still today, I think that it can go well together with their cover of Everlasting Love. I like your word – “effortless.” Tunes that seem to just “arrive” and the Boys appear to be having fun.

U2 does not have too many of these type of songs. Are there enough for an album’s worth?

Angel Of Harlem
Sweetest Thing
Stuck In Moment
Wild Honey
Everlasting Love
Spanish Eyes
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
Window In The Skies
Original Of The Species
Walk On

OR

Angel Of Harlem
Spanish Eyes
Everlasting Love
Wild Honey
Stuck In Moment
Sweetest Thing
Original Of The Species
Window In The Skies
Walk On

OR

Window In The Skies
Walk On
Original Of The Species
Sweetest Thing
Stuck In Moment
Wild Honey
Everlasting Love
Spanish Eyes
Angel Of Harlem

Should these two make it and if so where?:

In A Little While
A Man And Woman

Any other songs?

Window In The Skies doesn’t have to go on a compilation like this or any kind of compilation for that matter. Yet, how often do we listen to their U2 Greatest Hits packages? I’d imagine that for most of us here – very rarely. Shouldn’t Window In The Skies belong on at least something that we actually listen to? Maybe some will place it on a reworked Atomic Bomb or Leave Behind?

U2Soar, you hit the nail on the head as to what I was getting at. They have a very similar spirit about them. Maybe you have to be tuned into them to pick it up? I don't know, but I can see it pretty clearly.

When all is said and done, I must admit I enjoy 'Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)' more than 'Window in the Skies'....'Christmas' is just so emotive and is a true classic for a reason, but 'Window' is still a great pop song.

Back
Top Bottom