Win Butler reacts to NME article

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:

so it's just the scale of the marketing that's being questioned?

Yes, it is. Also, as far as I get it from the comment specifically refering to U2, about having some sort of silly competition between bands as to who will be the 'biggest' ('biggest band in the world' thing, although I personally see this quote from Bono as typical over-blowing, extreme enthusiasm from the man, something he does all the time and I quite love him for that in fact).

This is why I find it so absurd that many people here are freaking out and saying AF are hypocrites for going on SNL. No one ever said marketing your band and wanting people to hear your songs was evil, it's all a question of measure.

Win has said anyways that his words were taken out of context, so everyone should calm down now. Just the fact that NME chose this specific quote to put on their website (this was taken from a much longer interview) and in large letters in the magazine makes it clear that they are the ones trying to fuel some conflict between bands that is in fact non-existant.

And Pinball Wizard, fantastic post :up:

oceane said:

This is why I find it so absurd that many people here are freaking out and saying AF are hypocrites for going on SNL. No one ever said marketing your band and wanting people to hear your songs was evil, it's all a question of measure.

is a hypocrite evil? :hmm:

are evil people hypocrites? :hmm:

Why didn't anyone mention my uncharacteristicly bad spelling and grammar?

U2girl, forgive me for not including Pop in the last decade. Seeing as it was released on March 4, 1997, I thought it would be ok to round up by one week.

:sexywink:

It works both ways. Either count up from Pop release or (I did this) count down from U2:18 release.

I feel that this article by Bono. I really sums up my feelings towards those traitorous Arcade Fire members. (Of course, who CAN trust those irascible Canadians????)

Et tu, Win?

Le sigh. My greatest disciple has betrayed me.

I've been busy meeting with world leaders of late, but the Edge brought this to my attention on our private jet U2-1 the other day. It seems that Win Butler (of up-and-coming Canadian indie darlings the Arcade Fire) has turned on the hand that rocks the cradle:
Speaking in the new issue of NME, frontman Win Butler had a go at bands who aggressively force feed their music to fans.

Butler said: "It's not like we shun success, but at the same time we don't want to shove it down people's throats. In the UK there's this kind of rock star competition.

"I don't know if U2 started it, or The Stones or Oasis but a lot of bands think in terms of: 'I'm going to be the biggest band in the world. Fuck all those bands who've got no ambition'. I think that's a total crock of shit.

It didn't have to be like this, Win. We played your band's track 'Rebellion: Lies' on the intro tape at all our Vertigo World Atomic Tour concerts. Millions of white middle-American U2 fans who would never have heard of you, heard of you, and said: hey, what's that awesome song playing just before Bono and the boys come on? We made you, guys.

You could have run with it, like Coldplay and Razorlight do. But alas, no.

It's war now, Win. I'm a peaceable guy. I've worked all my life to balance the world's competing geopolitical interests in the name of stopping bloodshed and ensuring that children the globe over have the opportunity to buy the new U2 single. What have you done for world peace and debt relief, Win?

Larry (Mullen Jnr, drummer and founding member of U2) was even angrier than I at this treachery. In fact I had the Principle guys put Larry under house arrest in the empty village he bought for himself, until his temper subsides a little. He can polish his Harleys while the grownups deal with this one.

I will crush you for this impertinence, Win Butler. Never again will the Arcade Fire's uplifting indie rock blare from the speakers at a U2 concert. Fans sporting Arcade Fire t-shirts will be shot on sight. True loyalist U2 fans everywhere will attack your fans on the message boards, and in the street with baseball bats. The cities will flow with rivers of blood.

Is this what you wanted, Win? Your band will be forgotten within months, as U2 shall now bring forward the release of our fourth greatest-hits record "Love Songs and God Bombs" (featuring a bonus global mega-smash single, 'Prodigal Son'), and bury the Arcade Fire under a tsunami of U2 publicity.

You will never work in this town again, Win. I personally quite enjoy your band's music. You could teach us a thing or two about reaching the emotional core, but you just don't get it: this is a business. It's all just a business, Win. Radiohead forgot that, and look where they are now. They could have been contenders, they could have been our opening act. And so could you. Hang on... you were, weren't you? I forget more than you've ever known, in my high-octane life.

You disregard Mammon at your peril, Win Butler. Literally, in this case.

Thank goodness for God's Chariot for keeping me up to date on all TEH ISSUES on TEH INTERNETS.

Well, that solves that :sexywink:
God's Chariot

I will crush you for this impertinence, Win Butler. Never again will the Arcade Fire's uplifting indie rock blare from the speakers at a U2 concert. Fans sporting Arcade Fire t-shirts will be shot on sight. True loyalist U2 fans everywhere will attack your fans on the message boards, and in the street with baseball bats. The cities will flow with rivers of blood.

:drool:

B000024D4R.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is where I confess that while I know the quote, and I've seen it quoted here and laughed, but I can't quite put my finger on where it's from.

:reject:

corianderstem said:
This is where I confess that while I know the quote, and I've seen it quoted here and laughed, but I can't quite put my finger on where it's from.

:reject:

It's from Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. Please see that movie, it's one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Owen/Luke Wilson, Jack Black, and Steve Carell (aka the Frat Pack) are the next "Murray, Aykroyd, Belushi, Candy, Ramis"-type comedy team.

They're that freaking funny.

Having just finished watching Fargo, I must correct the picture above. It's not a red wood chipper. It's a little one ... but all the red you're thinking of was likely all the blood on the snow.

:yuck:

Back
Top Bottom