Will you cry the day U2 retire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
UVMan said:

GREAT IDEA!!
Hope no one said this yet but I won't cry when they break-up, 'know why? Because they never will. I'm not saying that they'll make music when they're in their 90's, (who knows?) but I really don't ever see them officially breaking up unless some sort of crazy thing happens. Bono's endured the death of both his parents and I'm sure The Edge, Adam, and Larry have endured their share of personal problems and up to this point they've all stayed together.

Just for sake of argument though, if they broke up, like someone else mentioned I'd be mad. Tears might follow :sad:

I can't imagine Bono ever retiring! I'd be sad if they split, but I think the only reason I'd cry is if Bono (or any of them, really) died. :(

I think everyone who has said they would not cry would cry if the band had a farewell performance. I didn't think much when Wayne Gretzky announced his retirement but when I saw him skating around the ice for the final time, I cried like a baby. He was an athlete who I watched for over 20 years and to see the end of a continuous part of my life was sad.

To see U2' s last performance as a band would have the same effect on me. Their retirement would have a lesser impact if it were simply announced than to see them together as a group on stage performing and having fun together with the fans for the last time ever.

What I mean is that your post reads like you will kill yourself when U2 retire. I would be devastated to think anybody would do that. Theyre just a band. They cant go on forever. There will come a day when Larrys back or Bonos voice gives up. etc. You will still have all their old albums.

I wish you were closer. I would give you a hug. Mate, you seriously need to not think like that.

peace.

beli said:
What I mean is that your post reads like you will kill yourself when U2 retire. I would be devastated to think anybody would do that. Theyre just a band. They cant go on forever. There will come a day when Larrys back or Bonos voice gives up. etc. You will still have all their old albums.

I wish you were closer. I would give you a hug. Mate, you seriously need to not think like that.

peace.
thanks Beli:hug:

Seriously, I think I would kill myself. You have to realize, this band has meant so much to me since I was 12 years in 1985. Every single day for the past 20 years, I have obsessed over this band. I can't get enough of them. I know that I love them more than my own family. Seriously. God forbid, something tragic happens to them. My life would be over. There would be no joy whatsoever in my life. I am being serious.

Ive been a fan since the early 80s too so they have pretty much been the soundtrack to my life.

But they will stop making music one day. It will happen. You need to psych yourself up for that day. If you predict it will be an issue, and you know yourself better than anyone else, please go and seek help now.

No musical act is worth taking your life over. Im sure U2 wouldnt want you doing that.

And nor do it.

Please get some counselling now. :hug:

I feel like when they call it quits *shudders* it will truly, truly be devastating. On the one hand, I feel so blessed that they have been around this long. Not many successful and popular bands have been around this long. But their music, their style, their attitude, I am so in love with them. I think about them so much. God, when they perform live, it is so riveting, so incredible, so awe-inspiring. I can't think about them ever breaking up. I am starting to cry. Seriously.

:larry: :adam: :bono: :edge: :bow:

Crying is healthy. Taking it further is not. If you feel that way then perhaps your thoughts are a little darker than is healthy. Is there a counsellor at your workplace? or somewhere? I think, and this is all just my opinion, you should seek help now before the day U2 finally retire.

Seriously.

:hug:

PS I have to go out for a while. If you want to email me Im on

belilindt {at} gmail [dot] com

Windmilllane said:
I feel like when they call it quits *shudders* it will truly, truly be devastating. On the one hand, I feel so blessed that they have been around this long. Not many successful and popular bands have been around this long. But their music, their style, their attitude, I am so in love with them. I think about them so much. God, when they perform live, it is so riveting, so incredible, so awe-inspiring. I can't think about them ever breaking up. I am starting to cry. Seriously.

:larry: :adam: :bono: :edge: :bow:

Hey, even if the band broke up, do you honesly believe that its members would completely drop out of the music scene? I'm sure that the band - at least Bono and Edge - would continue to create music for the rest of their lives, whether it's solo material, or collaborations with others, or music for films (I'd love to see Edge compose more soundtracks). Music is their passion, and is pretty much all they know how to do. They'd never be able to stay away from it. Personally, I believe that the end of U2 would really be the beginning of something new and probably equally fascinating. In any event, it's really not something you should fear, and is certainly not something to end it all over. I think you'd be missing out on some incredible new music by the very people you worship as a band.

Last edited:
i would definetely cry the day they retire........how could anyone say u2 is just a product......
as far as im concerned.....they have been such an integral part of my life for many years now i don't know how i'd cope with the fact that there is no more u2.

anyway.....i won't be suicidal as long as the Gallaghers are around!

it would be best if u2 didn't officially call it quits or didn't have an official farewell tour......

I need to see U2 in concert before they do that, I think every U2 fan should see them atleast once in their life.

I think U2 retiring would be more suitable than breaking up or simply fading away after an album or song.

I'll bawl my fuggin eyes out. I don't know what i'd do if i didn't have that carrot dangling in front of me that is the hope of seeing them live again. They changed my life when i first saw them live and continue to be the biggest inspiration if not influence in my music/ life. I fear the day i know i will never hear new U2 music again or hear them live again.

I would be dissapointed i won't hear anything new (like this great new bomb) but hopefully island will begin to raid the vaults like most other compnies do when a band has finished releasing new material. So we hopefully will see unreleased demos and live albums.

Back
Top Bottom