Will you cry the day U2 retire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jamila said:
Actually, I think U2 would appreciate it better if we would throw a party in their honor in respect for everything that they have given us through the years.:up:

no tears, no regrets.....U2 lives forever! :wink:

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

Now that's the right idea!:drunk:

Last edited:
i will surely cry, because the world won't be the same again with or without them, but now like the fly on the wall because noone can catch them

While I would respect their wishes and be happy for them...I think I'd still cry, since I am just an oversensitive cry baby. And I know, whether or not they are making music they will still be looking for ways to impact this world, Bono especially....

Now the horrid thought of one them passing away, naturally or otherwise (breaks hand banging on wood) will be a very sad moment for me...:sad:

I just don't think they will "retire" in the normal sense of the word. I can see them not touring all over the world, Edge collaborating on other albums with other bands, the band putting out all their yet unreleased live dvd's etc. Larry doing movies and Bono with his most important world AIDS activities.. :heart:
But I guess that's what retirement is. I love living in denial.:wink:
But it's just because I will miss seeing them in all their excitement of a new album, new music etc. Mine too..and yeah, knowing me.. I will cry.

I don´t think they will ever "break up"...
They will shurely tour less, and there will be longer between the albums, but I don´t think they will ever say that: "This is it, we´re breaking up", there would be no need to... They are, have been, and will always be friends. U2 is just 4 friends playing together, and you don´t stop that kinda thing.

Merry Christmas everybody!

:hug: starsgoblue and bonosbaby, I was getting worried for a second there that I was gonna be the only blubbering fool :)

intedomine said:
Dont know for sure. But I think I will be pissed off more than anything.

Being only 19 and only really being a fan since 2002 (because I didnt realise those wonderful songs on the radio were all by the same band), I feel like there was a musical journey I would have loved to experience with the band.

I wish I cared for u2 when albums such as War, UF, Achtung and POP were released, but I didn't.

I wish I was at ZooTV or Lovetown, yet I was merely a child still in single figures.

I don't think I will cry though, just feel angry that it took me so long to discover U2 and I am too young to experience U2's journey like others have been able to.

No I don't think I will cry. It will be sad. But despite how much I love the music, respect the band and treasure the history of U2, I will not truly be attached to U2 enough to cry. Had I been a fan for maybe another 8 years, I probably would be reduced to tears.

I feel the same way, I was just too young for a lot of the older albums...I think I would be severly disappointed, but I can't tell you if I'd cry or not. Death *knocks on wood as well* would be way more traumatic.

My silly responses earlier aside, I wouldn't cry at U2's disbandment. I'd actually be happy for them.

However, I probably would be a bit depressed. As the members of U2 and I are very close in age, their disbandment would signify a certain mortality. I'd realize a time in my life had passed and is now gone forever. And for that reason, I think I'd be bummed - not because U2 has disbanded per se.

Had U2 disbanded after JT, I'd be upset. I would have felt that there was so much more music they could have done. Many fans were upset, for example, after the Beatles disbanded for the same reason. The Beatles produced a lot of music in a short time, but they had a lot more left. Fortunately, we got some of that in their respective solo careers.

U2, however, are not the Beatles. I don't think Bono, Edge, Adam or Larry would have had any success as solo artists as they do together as U2. In other words, if U2 disbanded in the late 80's, I think that would've been the last we heard from them and that would have upset me.

But that, fortunately, didn't happen. And, as such, at this point in U2's career, I consider each new album and each new tour a treat. Each time I wonder if this is the last time U2'll tour. And one of these days, that answer will be "yes". When that day comes, while I'll be happy that U2 can now retire and relax, it will be a sad moment in my life . As I wrote above, I'll then realize I've lived through an era and have more of my life behind me than in front of me.

No, I won't. Every once in a while I'll really miss the live shows and I'll wish for a new tour or a new song or a new album, though.

I'm beyond sure that I'll cry. Shit...I cried like a BABY when Emmitt Smith broke Walter Payton's all-time NFL Rushing Yards record.

A lot of people seem to be saying things like, "I won't cry because they'll have earned it," or, "They've made enough good music that there isn't any reason to cry," and so forth. Now, I agree with those statements, in part. I do think that they've already earned the "right" to retire or quit or whatever, so to speak (though I don't really like that sort of language--they could have quit 25 years ago...), and I agree that they've made a TON of outstanding music, as time has gone on.

My crying wouldn't be in protest or anything, though...they wouldn't be those kind of tears. I wouldn't cry and say, "Those bastards!! How could they abandon us?? How could they abandon ME???!!!!" Nothing like that. I would cry because the end of U2 would be a sad thing for me. I'll always have the old music and that'll always make me happy...but there's something wonderful about new U2, isn't there?

I mean...I don't think that the new album is great. I think it's pretty good, but no more. I'm not even sure if it's on my Top Ten list for this year. But it's still a wonderful experience. The tour, even if it's weaker than past tours (which I assume it will be, unfortunately), will still be AMAZING and tons of fun for all.

There's just...that "something" that comes out with the release of a new U2 album. Sure, I've listened to the new record over 250 times since the leak...but you know what? I bet I've listened to the old stuff even more...!!! I'm never as passionate about U2--never so connected to the past, so focused on the present, and so compelled by the future...all at once--as when a new U2 record comes out. It is a thrilling period of evaluation, re-evaluation, and speculation...it is a period which I will miss with all of my heart. Months like these, moments like first hearing "Vertigo" on FM radio, realizations like the one when the new album was suddenly online.....all of those brilliant things will be no more. The memories will always warm my heart, but I'm sure that I'll never feel quite so intoxicated by U2's majesty as I feel during the times when their new albums come out. After their last album drops, they will still be my favorite band (well...fave non-Beatles band, anyhow :wink:), but I don't think that I'll ever feel it THIS strongly, you know?

Wordsworth wrote a lot about the potency of memory--"...that inward eye," he called it, "which is the bliss of solitude." I agree that memory is powerful...sometimes moreso than experience itself. But I will still miss the experience; I will forever love my memories, but that tangible emotion...that outward eye which sees bliss not in solitude, but in companionship (the companionship, in this case, of a new album)...I will forever miss it.

The fact that I won't have quite as powerful feelings about the band and the fact that there won't be such regular events which will focus and fine-tune my love, appreciation, and respect for the band is depressing. U2 are a dominant element of my personal past...but they're still a part of my future, too. I wish that could forever be true.

Sorry for rambling...

I won't cry. U2 is just a product to me. When the product life cycle is over, its simply just time to move to the next product or find a substitute product.

Cheers,

J

I don't know. Probably mixed feeling, disappointed if they retire and I never had the chance to say them in concert, a little sad on what might have been if I started listening to them earlier rather than only this yr. ??:huh:

jick - what a response!

There is a real core of truth in what you say - I wonder what U2 would think about it.

But for me, there will never be a substitute for U2.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:up:

I feel so soft now - I was sure that more people would be as upset as I would be. Don't get me wrong I don't think it would be right for them to "do a Stones", but I think it will be a really sad day when they finally do hang up their guitars:sad:

If you shout... said:
I'm beyond sure that I'll cry. Shit...I cried like a BABY when Emmitt Smith broke Walter Payton's all-time NFL Rushing Yards record.

A lot of people seem to be saying things like, "I won't cry because they'll have earned it," or, "They've made enough good music that there isn't any reason to cry," and so forth. Now, I agree with those statements, in part. I do think that they've already earned the "right" to retire or quit or whatever, so to speak (though I don't really like that sort of language--they could have quit 25 years ago...), and I agree that they've made a TON of outstanding music, as time has gone on.

My crying wouldn't be in protest or anything, though...they wouldn't be those kind of tears. I wouldn't cry and say, "Those bastards!! How could they abandon us?? How could they abandon ME???!!!!" Nothing like that. I would cry because the end of U2 would be a sad thing for me. I'll always have the old music and that'll always make me happy...but there's something wonderful about new U2, isn't there?

I mean...I don't think that the new album is great. I think it's pretty good, but no more. I'm not even sure if it's on my Top Ten list for this year. But it's still a wonderful experience. The tour, even if it's weaker than past tours (which I assume it will be, unfortunately), will still be AMAZING and tons of fun for all.

There's just...that "something" that comes out with the release of a new U2 album. Sure, I've listened to the new record over 250 times since the leak...but you know what? I bet I've listened to the old stuff even more...!!! I'm never as passionate about U2--never so connected to the past, so focused on the present, and so compelled by the future...all at once--as when a new U2 record comes out. It is a thrilling period of evaluation, re-evaluation, and speculation...it is a period which I will miss with all of my heart. Months like these, moments like first hearing "Vertigo" on FM radio, realizations like the one when the new album was suddenly online.....all of those brilliant things will be no more. The memories will always warm my heart, but I'm sure that I'll never feel quite so intoxicated by U2's majesty as I feel during the times when their new albums come out. After their last album drops, they will still be my favorite band (well...fave non-Beatles band, anyhow :wink:), but I don't think that I'll ever feel it THIS strongly, you know?

Wordsworth wrote a lot about the potency of memory--"...that inward eye," he called it, "which is the bliss of solitude." I agree that memory is powerful...sometimes moreso than experience itself. But I will still miss the experience; I will forever love my memories, but that tangible emotion...that outward eye which sees bliss not in solitude, but in companionship (the companionship, in this case, of a new album)...I will forever miss it.

The fact that I won't have quite as powerful feelings about the band and the fact that there won't be such regular events which will focus and fine-tune my love, appreciation, and respect for the band is depressing. U2 are a dominant element of my personal past...but they're still a part of my future, too. I wish that could forever be true.

Sorry for rambling...

Shit, I almost cried just reading that post! :sad:

I'll cry. I'm a crybaby. And I'll be upset, like many others, that I didn't have the audacity at age 4 to go to ZooTV tour :D Or LoveTown as a one year old. I should have been more forceful :p Hell, I actually just barely missed PopMart... if I had been a little more on top of things I could have seen them at age 9, when I first heard Pop. That record changed my life and made U2 a permanent part of me. Thankfully, that record will always be there, and all their past albums... but the day U2 stops making music and touring will be a sad day indeed, inevitable as it is. At least afterwards we'll get a whole bunch of previous unreleased material, live stuff, ect... that's one of the really cool things about liking older bands like The Beatles and The Velvet Underground. Really, there's always gonna be SOME new U2 material, y'know? I'd be consoled by that thought at least...but yeah, I'll be sad as hell.

There was a thread awhile back about what would be the last song U2 would ever play, and someone posted a description that made my eyes water just reading it... the band doing 40, War Tour style, and leaving the stage one by one til just Larry's left, then he leaves while the entire audience continues to sing "How long...to sing this song..." waiting for the band to come back, and continuing to sing until they all realize eventually that the band's not coming back, and it really is the last show ever. What a damn beautiful image...I hope I can be there, at that last concert.

u2valleygirl said:
If they played Acrobat live before they retired it might ease a little of my pain.

GREAT IDEA!!
Hope no one said this yet but I won't cry when they break-up, 'know why? Because they never will. I'm not saying that they'll make music when they're in their 90's, (who knows?) but I really don't ever see them officially breaking up unless some sort of crazy thing happens. Bono's endured the death of both his parents and I'm sure The Edge, Adam, and Larry have endured their share of personal problems and up to this point they've all stayed together.

Just for sake of argument though, if they broke up, like someone else mentioned I'd be mad. Tears might follow :sad:

Back
Top Bottom