Will Vertigo be as big as Beautiful Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miggy D

War Child
I say no.

It may be as good, or even better than Beautiful Day, just in terms of overall song quality, but I do not think it will become 'bigger' than Beautiful Day, just in terms of popularity, and overall exposure. Why, you ask?

Beautiful Day looks to be the more anthemic of the two, and can apply to far more situations than Vertigo.

Just bought a new car? Well, it's a beautiful day!
Just got married? Well, it's a beautiful day!
Just got laid? Well, it's a beautiful day!

Just got your car smashed by a truck? Well, it's a beautiful day!

Beautiful Day can not only apply to good situations but also to bad ones. Sure, your dog was just accidentally shot by your best friend in a hunting trip gone horribly awry. But look at all of the wonderful things the world has to offer anyway? It's a beautiful day, even without your dog. It's an uplifting, optimistic, and anthemic song that can really be used whenever, wherever.

I just don't think Vertigo is going to be as versatile, at least meaning/content wise. I don't see Vertigo being used as the next Olympic theme. Because of this, Vertigo may very well turn out to be a fantastic rocker, and may surpass Beautiful Day in terms of quality, but I don't think it will reach the same heights of popularity.

Thoughts?

-Miguel

or

-Mike

Take your pick.

In a weird way, I kinda hope it isn't as big as BD in terms of exposure, I got kinda sick of BD for a while as everywhere was playing it. Once things quitend back down I started to enjoy BD again. Outwith that, I don't think it'll be as big as BD, but I'm cool with that.

I agree, I doubt Vertigo will be a bigger song than Beautiful Day. However, i do think the other songs on htdaab will overall be better than atyclb. 7 1/2 hours to go...............

I agree with you Nuke. I was disappointed with ATYCLB on the whole. I basically play the first 5 tracks, sans Elevation. The rest maybe get one play for every 10 plays a song like Walk On would get on the iPod.

"Vertigo" may not be as big a crossover hit as "Beautiful Day," but we've still got 10 other tracks that could still be when a few of those go on to become singles themselves.

Last edited:
why not? if they can recreate the hype they made with ATYCLB/Elevation and if the album will be received well, I think Vertigo can become a bigger hit than BD

Personally, I got a lot more excited when I heard Vertigo than four years ago with BD

Gee, its a tough ask being as big as Beautfiful Day, i hope it is but i dont think it will....

Could it win a grammy?

Vertigo could not possibly have the same commercial appeal as Beautiful Day. It's absolutely impossible in my mind. Beautiful Day was a song for all occassions, anytime, anyplace.

i dont think vertigo will be as big as BD, and in a weird way i hope it doesnt because i felt the singles that followed BD on ATYCLB were anti-climatic- BD was probably the best overall song on that album (kite a very close second IMO) but 'walk on' or 'stuck' didnt seem to up the bar if you get my drift. i'd love to hear the 2nd or 3rd single be THE song off the album that really knocks everyone out. that really helps the life of the album on air and helps it stand the test of time- best example being JT.

Like Miggy said, BD could be used anywhere, but Vertigo could to.

You feel pressured? You're at a place called vertigo.
You're getting married? You're at a place called vertigo.
You just got back to school? I'm at a place called vertigo.
You just got to the local record store called Vertigo? I'm at a place called vertigo!

Now that everyone's actually heard it, what do you think?

I think it could easily do better. It's certainly a better song...

I think only time will tell. I wasn't around for the reactions in 2000, but I would imagine people then thought Beautiful Day was cheesy and wouldn't catch on. Look what came of that.

Axver said:
I think only time will tell. I wasn't around for the reactions in 2000, but I would imagine people then thought Beautiful Day was cheesy and wouldn't catch on. Look what came of that.

exactly, all these comparisons when vertigo is not even a day old are getting to me.

Beautiful Day was by no means the track that really made me feel I got my money's worth out of ATYCLB. I mean, it's a nice track and everything, but it didn't resonate with me like um... Kite (which feels more familiar to me).

In fact, I remember very well when my college art faculty had planned a trip to New York in my first year of art school. I literally fell asleep with the New York itinerary in hand on 9/10 with ATYCLB playing through the stereo on repeat. I woke up to New York buzzing through the speakers, turned on the TV, and tuned to CNN.

*mouth gapes open*

In the case of Vertigo, I don't expect the other tracks to be better, but I certainly hope they are close to equal. Vertigo is a better song than Beautiful Day, imho. I think the lyrics for Vertigo are less schmaltsy (I know it's not a word) even if I don't totally understand them. And, the music sounds more cohesive, more united, and so, better executed.

I don't know which song will recieve more radioplay. Honestly, I rarely listen to the radio because of all the garbage that passes for music. I'd be more interested to see which album sells better. :)

It won't come anywhere close to the popularity of BD, but it'll be a sizable rock hit, probably easily topping the rock radio charts.

Back
Top Bottom