Will U2, specifically Edge be overshadowed during the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame jam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
I'm sure all of you U2 fans love watching the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame show that will be televised on VH1. I for one enjoy the stuff, especially when the "rock n roll greats" and the inductees all get together to close the show and "jam" for themselves and the audience. Prince and Tom Petty on the same stage was cool. Keith Richards, Brian May, Dave Grohl, etc... playing together. Awesome stuff. Past shows were just as interesting, I'm sure.

But to be honest, I acknowledge (and I'm sure many other fans as well) the final jam is something of a wank fest with musical instruments... especially on guitar. I personally love, it and look foward to it. IMO it's not true guitar wankery but close to it.

With that said.... the jam for U2's RnR HOF induction will consist of some pretty heavy hitters...

Buddy Guy - Blues guitarist and some say the originator of guitar theatrics that Prince and Hendrix got a lot of their schtick from.

Eric Clapton - Not much of a guitar wanker since his days in Cream but still an intimidating presence on guitar and a guitar legend.

Bruce Springsteen - Bruce plays lead too and isn't half bad. Add to the fact that he looks like he gets real into it, you can't help but be distracted.

Neil Young - Influential guitar player (Edge likes his style) and he's known to hog the spotlight when he wants to.

B.B. King - Legend with his own distinct style and sound... Isn't as technically advanced as some of the above guitarists but his guitar play sticks out that you can't help but notice.

Now these guys aren't the same as playing together with Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai, Buckethead, etc. in a jam but they are notheless intimidating guys.

Do you believe U2 the band can pull it off or can the Edge pull it off enough that he won't get overshadowed... does it matter? I mean this U2's big night (RnR HOF) but I would think/ hope Edge would bring his A-game. So what do people think?

Last edited:
Ahhh Hendrix the master everyone else was his pupil! And the hall of fame induction, well to be honest when all different guitarists get on the stage together it always sounds a fucking mess. So whether Edge plays a blinder or not don't really matter cos you'll hardly be able to hear him anyway.

rjhbonovox said:
Ahhh Hendrix the master everyone else was his pupil! And the hall of fame induction, well to be honest when all different guitarists get on the stage together it always sounds a fucking mess. So whether Edge plays a blinder or not don't really matter cos you'll hardly be able to hear him anyway.

No... IMO the mix comes out clear and they usually let a guitarist come in and play lead... Like if Clapton were to play something the others would sort of stay in the background a bit. Maybe Buddy Guy would come in next, etc... unless guitar jams have changed that much.

Re: Will U2, specifically Edge be overshadowed during the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame jam?

Flying FuManchu said:
Now these guys aren't the same as playing together with Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai, Buckethead, etc. in a jam but they are notheless intimidating guys.

You're kidding, right? These heavy metal fretboard masturbators are nowhere NEAR as good as Clapton, B.B. King, Buddy Guy and Neil Young. The reason? All the spastic, lightning fast technique is no match for the soul these legends put into their playing. Which is why the people you think are the real masters will never get anywhere near the rock and roll hall of fame.

Unbelievable. I used to have albums by those guys. It was back in the late 80's, when I was in high school. I'll take a Neil Young extended jam on Like A Hurricane any day over one of Malmsteen's jerk off opuses.

laz

Edge will get overshadowed, because he can't really improvise. He can write and play amazing stuff, but not really on the spot. Neil Young will take this one, w/ Buddy. Neil plays CRAZY, not only his playing, but the way he spazzes and motions is awesome.

Who gives a fucks ass?
they may not even participate. Although I bet Bono will feel the need too.

Besides in a 'jam' session you always need a ryhthm section.

I think it would be lame if U2 did not participate... especially the Edge...

I remember U2 playing on the Robbie Robertson record a while back in the late 80s or so... that sounded "live" and interesting and that was a while back. I feel like Edge will get overshadowed but :shrug: ....

I sort of want to be surprised.

Re: Re: Will U2, specifically Edge be overshadowed during the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame jam?

lazarus said:

You're kidding, right? These heavy metal fretboard masturbators are nowhere NEAR as good as Clapton, B.B. King, Buddy Guy and Neil Young. The reason? All the spastic, lightning fast technique is no match for the soul these legends put into their playing. Which is why the people you think are the real masters will never get anywhere near the rock and roll hall of fame.

Unbelievable. I used to have albums by those guys. It was back in the late 80's, when I was in high school. I'll take a Neil Young extended jam on Like A Hurricane any day over one of Malmsteen's jerk off opuses.

laz

It was an example.... Any guitarist would feel lost in that guitar chops fest... Edge is not playing with those guys but guys who do the "feel" thing primarily and they also have good chops.... however a lot of these guitarists are into theatrics... Neil Young does spazz when he plays. Buddy Guy does theatrics alah Prince did on his RnR HOF jam. I'm not expecting Edge to start doing the windmill on the guitar while then all of sudden playing with his teeth but I'm hoping for something nice. The part where Lillywhite mentioned soso improvisation skills was a little disconcerting with the jam coming up.

Re: Re: Will U2, specifically Edge be overshadowed during the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame jam?

lazarus said:

laz

That's great but it's still your opinion. BB King can play with soul or whatver but he's boring.

Steve Vai is, if not the best, one of the best guitarists around. Watching him improvise and jam is an awesome experience.

Never underestimate genius of The Edge.
Wouldn't it be interesting to hear Buddy Guy, Bruce, Neil Young's or any/all of the others take on the beginning of "Streets??
How good would that be Turn it up loud, captain.
Just a thought.. :wink:

most of the BTBS solos are improvised to an extent. i'm sure Edge will do something good, he'll beat everyone in the effects department

probably sufficed to say that U2 will be the last of all the inductees to perform, and if there is a jam it likely be a jam of one of the songs from the earlier inductees who is either dead or doesn't have a "backing band".

And again, who cares? With Eric Clapton and Neil Young, I am quite sure Edge would gladly just play the chords.

There isnt a singer on the bill who will outshine Bono, why not ask if Chrissie Hynde will be overshadowed? It's sort of sily to ask about the others isnt it?

Maybe Edge with the other great axemen is an interesting proposition, but I wouldn't think too much of it, Edge was on stage in the 90's with someone? and he barely stood out at all, actually didn't at all.

It's not in his nature to stand out. As a matter of fact it would probably be an embarassment FOR him if he did. he doesn't want to stand toe to toe with Clapton, they dont come from the same vein, Edge is not a jammer, but I bet he could do pretty well, all depending on the song. There is nothing set in stone that even Clapton or Young will be out there, is there? it could just be the Pretenders with U2 and a few others.

Nothing says inductors will play, Edge inducted the Clash and didnt play, for one. Eddie Vedder inducted the Ramones and didnt sing or play. Gwen Stefani inducted the POlice and didnt sing, there are 100 other examples, just because Bruce is inducting U2 doesn't mean he will.

I'll repeat what I said in my previous post: There is nothing set in stone that even Clapton or Young will be out there, is there? it could just be the Pretenders with U2 and a few others.

But it would be cool to see if Edge would wail a little, even if it's a big indulgent cock fest.

U2DMfan said:
Who gives a fucks ass?
they may not even participate. Although I bet Bono will feel the need too.

Besides in a 'jam' session you always need a ryhthm section.

Ah so the real pressure is for Adam and Larry then?

MrBrau1 said:

Do you think Jacko felated Slash after they played together? Or do you think Slash was the giver?

your so nasty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i actuall have that clip on video and it kicks arsss.

slash also played beat it on the same show and its fucking great and that guitar solo :drool: (eddie van halen played the guiatr on the studio clip of beat it) but slash played some mean blues licks !

MrBrau1 said:
Edge will get overshadowed, because he can't really improvise. He can write and play amazing stuff, but not really on the spot. Neil Young will take this one, w/ Buddy. Neil plays CRAZY, not only his playing, but the way he spazzes and motions is awesome.
:rockon:

Neil can dominate anytime he wants to. Hope he plays.

In the U2 At The End Of The World book, I think, the Edge came over to the US to take part in some sort of award/hall of fame ceremony. He was participating in the all star jam at the end of the show with the likes of Neil Young. It was Edge's turn to play but no sound was coming out when he played. It ended up a roadie or a tech was plugged in instead and played the solo while Edge stood there laughing as he did not care to be there!

^
Lol, Edge can improvise pretty well if you ask after I've listened to loads of different versions of Bullet hell he can whatever he likes and to Fu Manchu surely you know the players that will be there all own the likes of Vai et al, technically no but in playing something that sounds good they miles above and beyond those shredders, Edge will be fine the only problem is he doesn't care for the showy side of guitar playing, hes a an amazing player in all categories of guitar, if a jam happens with Edge and he brings his A game though he'll be great , he's been playing for so long now he can't help but do that, of course he really doesn't care for all the added overblown ceremony but he's THE EDGE, do it EDGE do it,

( Puts on Lovetown Dublin All Along the Watchtower and leans back saying to himself, that dude can play)

Last edited:
I don't think Edge will be overshadowed, he will let others take the lead and just play along with what they're doing in his trademark chimey, sing-songy guitar lick style.

Back
Top Bottom