Will U2 Release Any More Singles From HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
XHendrix24 said:

:up:

If they did release another song, it would be Love and Peace.

.....But they're not going to release another single.

yeah 6 songs is pushing it. that's over half the album.

I do think it'd be smart of U2 to put Fast Cars on some big movie soundtrack and release it as a single. It's a brilliant song and I think it would get people's attention because it's different than U2's other singles (and, of course, it's catchy!)

well the album has been out for about 14 months now. The tour is winding down. As mentioned above six singles would be alot.

I dont see the need. What is left to promote. Any shows that are left are sure to sell out without another single.

Yes... If we count IGWSHA and Mofo as separate singles... The Pop album has 6 singles...

I totally agree with the Fast Cars idea about becoming an outside-promotion single. That's the type of song that everybody would like to hear in the radio or watch in the tv.

As I have already said in this forum, I wouldn't mind to see U2 releasing a final "double A-side" single like Original Of The Species / Yahweh (acoustic studio)

and remember of course that 'fast cars' isnt commerically avalible in america. possibly a HoldMeThrillMe/Sweetest Thing/Electrical storm. ''gap filer' there?

I heard on the radio here in Australia the other day that 'Original of the Species' will be an official Asian-only release (ie a REAL CD available in the shops) to coincide with the tour.

No release date was given, but with the tour hitting our shores in mid-March I guess we'll know either way in a couple of weeks.

If it happens, that will make it the 5th single available as a physical release.

And hopefully we might get some unreleased material as b-sides, although more likely it will be tracks from the Chicago DVD......

If you count the UTEOTW promo thing, Achtung Baby had 6 as well (EBTTRT, One, WGRYWH, The Fly, Mysterious Ways), right?

Aygo said:
I totally agree with the Fast Cars idea about becoming an outside-promotion single. That's the type of song that everybody would like to hear in the radio or watch in the tv.

As I have already said in this forum, I wouldn't mind to see U2 releasing a final "double A-side" single like Original Of The Species / Yahweh (acoustic studio)

Great ideas!!!!

The thing is, have any of the singles aside from Vertigo even been remotely successful...or is it only in the US that they're not thrving? I mean, at least with ATYCLB, I would see the videos for Elevation, Walk On, and Stuck, and hear them on the radio, but not once have I heard SYCMIOYO, OOTS, ABOY, or COBL on the radio...or seen the videos on tv...just once I had a friend tell me they saw OOTS and that was the day it premiered, so it wasn't really a surprise.

in the UK Vertigo was 1, SYCMIOYO was 1, COBL was 2 (kept off by crazy frog, who also kept coldplay off the previous week) and ABOY was I think 4?

That is a good record here in the UK

bono_212 said:
The thing is, have any of the singles aside from Vertigo even been remotely successful...or is it only in the US that they're not thrving? I mean, at least with ATYCLB, I would see the videos for Elevation, Walk On, and Stuck, and hear them on the radio, but not once have I heard SYCMIOYO, OOTS, ABOY, or COBL on the radio...or seen the videos on tv...just once I had a friend tell me they saw OOTS and that was the day it premiered, so it wasn't really a surprise.

The music industry is so different now. Even from just 4-5 years ago. Everytime I tune to MTV its reality crap. Everytime I tune to VH-1 its celebrity crap. And Clear Channel has ruined commercial radio. U2, like many other true rock bands, don't have a channel to get their music to new listners. I think thats part of the reason they decided to go the Ipod route. I do hear their new material on Sirius and the DJ's on those stations praise U2 alot. Its not so much their singles are failures, its just the way the music industry is at right now in the US.

zoopop said:

The music industry is so different now. Even from just 4-5 years ago. Everytime I tune to MTV its reality crap. Everytime I tune to VH-1 its celebrity crap. And Clear Channel has ruined commercial radio. U2, like many other true rock bands, don't have a channel to get their music to new listners. I think thats part of the reason they decided to go the Ipod route. I do hear their new material on Sirius and the DJ's on those stations praise U2 alot. Its not so much their singles are failures, its just the way the music industry is at right now in the US.

Totally agree. You can see U2 videos on VH1 - You just have to be up at 3 AM to do so. ABOY and COBL were both very common on their over night shows; as common as Coldplay, Mariah Carey or Dave Matthews. And you do here the new U2 singles on various Sirius channels and they're common here in Mpls on the adult oriented rock station as well.

Why not have another single? So what if U2 still wants to promote How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb? In my opinion, this album is excellent, and should keep going.

But for the love of god not Love and Peace or Else as a single.

Just to add more fuel to the fire, I heard "A Man & A Woman" while shopping at a store the other day. Sounded commercial, kind of like a hit single...:shifty:

bono_212 said:

Here in the Netherlands the singles were played very often, even on mainstream redio. On tha charts (including airplay) the singles did very well: vertigo 2, Sometimes 4, City 3 and ABOY 6. I think a 5th single will do very well, at least in the Netherlands.

I think OOTS is a better choice to release as a songle than Love and peace. Love and peace is more the Until the end of the world from HTDAAB, while OOTS is more the classic song.

Here in Portugal, the Vertigo, Sometimes and City went all to #1 in the radio charts (of course that only Vertigo got in the MTV Portugal charts because they only air american hip-hop shit like in the US), only ABOY didn't succeed here... It feels that the same happened in the rest of Europe.
Someone here said that the album not suceeding in the US was a reason to stop promoting. Well, by the Pop album era, only Discotheque went to #10 and SATS to #26 there, after that nobody heard about the Pop singles in the US, but they kept on releasing other singles that got in the top 10/top 20 in Europe... so...

Pero said:
It deserves another single

Exactly. IT deserves, no matter how much singles they have released in past albums. Personally I'd choose Miracle Drug.

I don't see how they couldn't release Miracle Drug, what with Bono's little sidegoal for the tour IMO

Further to all of the above, this morning on Today FM (Ireland) Ian Dempsey played Original Of The Species and announced it as the new U2 single. Of course, there's a massive chance he's just wrong, but....

Back
Top Bottom