Will U2 play new material at the Clinton ceremony?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Do you guys think Bono and Edge will play any new songs at the Clinton ceremony this week? I'm kind of guessing that they play "Original of the Species," since they've done it recently and the lyrics work perfectly as an ode to Clinton's buoyant presidency, and "Angel of Harlem," since it's Clinton's favorite U2 song and he now works in Harlem. Any thoughts?

hmm. . . i'm hoping for Original of the Species, because i loved the IPOD performance, but hopefully they'll play an old song too. AoH would be great, or maybe Desire.

But i think in all likelyhood we can expect Acrobat, Bullet, and possibly Fast Cars.

I hope they show this on TV. I can't wait!

I have friends who are friends with other persons whose presence and peronality I don't like much. But, I do not think it's right to be upset at them for hanging out, just as there's no reason to be upset at U2 for playing for a personal friend. They've known Clinton for over a decade, now, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, regardless of political and personal preferences.

Don't get me wrong, I'm always up for a new U2 recording. My political idealogy dislikes Clinton. I'm sure he's a nice fellow (just ask any intern), but we disagree politically. I know that U2 leans to left. In a perfect world (for me), U2 would be playing for a Bush ceremony (that's never gonna happen!). :wink:

I dunno. Bono seems to lean left, but nevertheless I can see him doing a solo rendition of some song or other for Bush. But the Edge wouldn't let him do it.

Edit: wow, my original phrasing suggested that I was Bono... oops.

Last edited:
UnforgettableLemon said:
I dunno. Bono seems to lean left, but nevertheless I can see him doing a solo rendition of some song or other for Bush. But the Edge wouldn't let me do it.

I doubt it, but you never know. Stranger things have happened.

boosterjuice said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm always up for a new U2 recording. My political idealogy dislikes Clinton. I'm sure he's a nice fellow (just ask any intern), but we disagree politically. I know that U2 leans to left. In a perfect world (for me), U2 would be playing for a Bush ceremony (that's never gonna happen!). :wink:

a right wing canadian?? :ohmy: :ohmy:

Clinton and Bono are so similar it's eerie. No wonder they're such good friends.

Apparently 50,000 people are expected on Thursday: 30,000 at the ceremony and 20,000 outside, lining the streets, watching on video screens. And four presidents will be there, too. You just *know* Bono will create some fireworks somehow.

Don't you think that bono, Edge and George H. Bush in the same area is going to be a bit akward ?
Not to mention George W. - what with Edge's open dislike for the man.
still it should be interesting - bono seems to be more in rock star mode these days :)

discothequeLP said:
hmm. . . i'm hoping for Original of the Species, because i loved the IPOD performance, but hopefully they'll play an old song too. AoH would be great, or maybe Desire.

But i think in all likelyhood we can expect Acrobat, Bullet, and possibly Fast Cars.

I hope they show this on TV. I can't wait!

acrobat? wtf

as if they r gonna start playing it live!

i would pee my pants with excitement if they did though, its one dam awsomely cool song!

discothequeLP said:
But i think in all likelyhood we can expect Acrobat
"And you can swallow
Or you can spit
You can throw it up
Or choke on it"

Well, let's hope you don't choke on it.

Really, anything from Achtung, Baby would do here.

"Surrounding me, going down on me..."

"Did I disappoint you or leave a bad taste in your mouth?"

Man, Flanagan was spot-on.
boosterjuice said:
I hope they don't play. Not a Cliton fan.
Did you forget an "n" or did you just come out of the closet?

Last edited:
Remember when Larry and Adam played the 1992 inauguration as part of Automatic Baby? Now the two who missed out on that Clinton gig are going to be playing this event. President Clinton has now had the whole band play for him but never at the same time. Make of it what you will...

U2 and Bush 41 had a good natured thing going on. There is no hostility. Maybe they will do a cover song for Dubya.
Nirvana 's "You know you're right" :wink:

"Now understand I have nothing against U2, they tried to call me at the White House on their last tour. But when it comes to issues on foreign policy I will consult with John Major and Boris Yeltin and Bill Clinton can consult Boy George"- GHWB

He also mangled that last sentence.

[QUOTE/]"And you can swallow
Or you can spit
You can throw it up
Or choke on it"
[/QUOTE]

i think that little part kinda forces them not 2 play it, i playd it at school infront of my whole grade on assembly afew weeks back......... just me, my voice and an acoustic guitar, it sounded great but it wouldnt have been as good if id sung those lines lol, i changed it and sung the big about taking them cup and fillin it up twice instead of once lol

btw whats this clinton ceremony?

Last edited:
>> btw whats this clinton ceremony?

The Clinton presidential library is being dedicated on THurs. in Little Rock, Arkansas. Presidents Bush (both) and Carter are going to give speeches, Bono + Edge will perform, and then Clinton gives a speech. 50,000 expected to attend, live on C-SPAN.

Back
Top Bottom