Will U2 ever product a LIVE album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UltravioletU2

The Fly
I know we have the concert videos and best ofs, but do you not think it would be so cool for U2 to have a LIVE album?

So many artists have done it and it has blown their studio stuff out of the water. Some that come to mind are Counting Crows and Tragically Hip.

Bands seem to have more energy when they play Live, and I think U2 is no exception (think Please, WOWY, etc.)

I was listening to Pop today, and I heard Please and thought, "I love this song, but it was phoenomical on the Mexico City DVD. Hmm...speaking of the video, I'd love to hear WOWY right now. I wish they had a live album."

Many bands do live albums, and I hope U2 does one day. I realize now would not be a good time with the scheduled release of the 90's Best of, but hopefully in the future they do. :yes:

im assuming you know about Under A Blood Red Sky.

they should release a trilogy of live shows from zoo tv, pomart + elevation 2001 to coincide with the best of. that would be sweeeeet.:up:

While I am all for live albums, it is hard to make a case when U2's B-sides and EPs are filled with live stuff. The new ES single(s)continues to show this. As long as they release live material in this manner, I am happy that there is more of an opportunity to release new material instead.

I wish U2 would go Pearl Jam on us and release bootlegs. I think the Who is doing so (with proceeds going to charity) this tour.

Yeah a live album should be awesome, and more if they did what pearl jam did. Of course you can always rip your elevation dvd and create perfect sounding CDs from it hehe. Hope they release popmart and zootv on dvds soon, to do the same thing.

* MoFo * said:
im assuming you know about Under A Blood Red Sky.
except most of the songs aren't even from red rocks. :mad:

they only picked eight songs anyway, surely there were eight good songs that day? i've got the boot of the concert and he sounds fine to me.

With today's technology (DVD's) why bother with a live album? If one were released, we'd all want to see the video that goes with the music.

I would love to see ZooTV and PopMart on DVD soon.

nbcrusader said:
With today's technology (DVD's) why bother with a live album? If one were released, we'd all want to see the video that goes with the music.

I would love to see ZooTV and PopMart on DVD soon.

Exactly.

Edge was asked on his webchat prior to the Notre Dame show last year if they would be releasing a live album from Elevation. Edge's response was that the DVD was the live album. So I think that will be U2's perspective going forward in regards to live albums. They will release DVD's instead.

I also agree that the Zoo TV and Popmart shows need to be put on DVD. Unfortunately the prevelant rumor is that Popmart will not be but Zoo TV will be at some point. I would also like to see Under A Blood Red Sky on DVD at some point. Maybe put back some of the songs that were deleted from the video of the show as a bonus. Wont happen, but I can dream.

Blue Room said:

Edge was asked on his webchat prior to the Notre Dame show last year if they would be releasing a live album from Elevation. Edge's response was that the DVD was the live album. So I think that will be U2's perspective going forward in regards to live albums. They will release DVD's instead.

This is true. I think ever since Zoo TV, U2 has looked upon live performances as an audio/visual experience. Now with DVD's you get CD quality sound, there is really no need for a separate live album. Plus, there are a gazillion bootlegs out there. Still, U2 has put out several live tracks out on CD singles and there was Hasta La Vista Baby for fan club members. Other reasons why they may not want to put out live albums is that they will take away from the current studio album sales, and also it would place longer time between studio albums. DVD's are perfect for U2's live performances IMO.

One thing I always thought would be cool....though I can seeing it happening for another 10 years or if U2 breaks up:ohmy:....is putting out archive releases through U2.com. maybe 2 or 3 releases a year. This way fans can get quality live albums & U2 don't have to worry about sales or compete with their worldwide releases. I know groups like The Doors, The Dead & Hendrix do this. But imagine something like this in a typical year....

U2.COM Records-All double CD's $16.99

Feb 2012-U2 Complete Red Rocks 1983

July 2012-Popmart Brazil 1998

Nov 2012-Lovetown New Years In Dublin 1989

It may happen one day. I'm sure they have the tapes. But I'm not going to start giving away my boots just yet!
:shrug:

Hawkmoon1021 said:
This is true. I think ever since Zoo TV, U2 has looked upon live performances as an audio/visual experience. Now with DVD's you get CD quality sound, there is really no need for a separate live album. Plus, there are a gazillion bootlegs out there. Still, U2 has put out several live tracks out on CD singles and there was Hasta La Vista Baby for fan club members. Other reasons why they may not want to put out live albums is that they will take away from the current studio album sales, and also it would place longer time between studio albums. DVD's are perfect for U2's live performances IMO.
true. besides, since seemingly every concert is bootlegged, i'm sure the concerts that they did officially release on cd would be bootlegged anyway. U2 seems to be one of those bands that doesn't mind bootlegging of their concerts, so that tied in what the whole audio presentation you get at their concerts, i too doubt they'll every release a live cd.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom