will u2 ever play a festival again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kingofsorrow said:

it would remove the safety net off playing in front of your rabidly loyal fans. at a regular u2 gig there's nothing to prove, everyone there loves u2.
at a festival they would actually have to work to get the crowds favor. which would be great. just look at the old shows from when they were younger.

yeah, thats the thing about festivals. you cannot expect the audience to love you, just because you're u2.

indra said:
What would the benefit be of playing a festival?

a) for the band

b) for the fans

I just can't see that it would offer near the experience that a regular U2 concert does.

It challenges the band to play to a new audience. Thye did this quite well at the Tibet Festival gig in June 1997.

It forces U2 fans to actually attempt to like other groups. Rather than U2 only fans booing opening acts like Bjork, Pearl Jam(1993) and PJ Harvey.

u2fp

Further news on Glasto & world's biggest band!!

'on Thursday morning, he said the act he had been referring to was "a modern band" who had got in touch following the announcement that Kylie Minogue was too busy to appear.

Mr Eavis refused to be drawn further, though he reiterated his earlier denial that Irish band U2 would perform.'

The only bands that I can think he is referring to are either Radiohead/Muse/The Killers

there were other updates about The Who and Arcade Fire being or about to be confirmed

Back to the subject but I would love it, just love it, if U2 would play an outdoor gig(festival maybe) again with a similar backdrop to the mid 80's concerts i.e. no frills, just the music and raw emotions engullfing absolutely everyone from the stage, to the tops of the stands right down to the last person right at the back.

Goosebumps just thinking of Croke Park 85..... whoa

I'm sorry, I can't help myself:

JessicaAnn said:
25806.fakecoachellaposter.jpg

Stolen from B&C :lmao:

I think it would be a great thing to see now that I think about it... But I think that this whole thing about playing to a new audience with people that are not necessarily fans wouldn't happen. I think that even at a festival, almost everyone in the audience would be a fan. Everyone would run for teh tickets. But it would be very different from their shows anyway. They wouldn't have their own stage and their scenario would be limited, so they would have to work really hard...

annie_vox said:
I think it would be a great thing to see now that I think about it... But I think that this whole thing about playing to a new audience with people that are not necessarily fans wouldn't happen. I think that even at a festival, almost everyone in the audience would be a fan. Everyone would run for teh tickets. But it would be very different from their shows anyway. They wouldn't have their own stage and their scenario would be limited, so they would have to work really hard...

It depends if tickets are sold before or after u2 has been announced for a hypothetical festival. I don't think there is much of a secondary market for tickets of Uk Festivals.

^^ Oh ok I didn't know that... I think the tickets here are on sale only when at least the main bands are anounced. But I could be wrong... I only buy tockets for festivals when I have an idea about what I'm going to see. They're not usualy sold out that fast anyway.

ur i's make a O said:
Further news on Glasto & world's biggest band!!

'on Thursday morning, he said the act he had been referring to was "a modern band" who had got in touch following the announcement that Kylie Minogue was too busy to appear.

Mr Eavis refused to be drawn further, though he reiterated his earlier denial that Irish band U2 would perform.'

The only bands that I can think he is referring to are either Radiohead/Muse/The Killers

there were other updates about The Who and Arcade Fire being or about to be confirmed

Back to the subject but I would love it, just love it, if U2 would play an outdoor gig(festival maybe) again with a similar backdrop to the mid 80's concerts i.e. no frills, just the music and raw emotions engullfing absolutely everyone from the stage, to the tops of the stands right down to the last person right at the back.

Goosebumps just thinking of Croke Park 85..... whoa

it's probably guns n's roses

U2 played the Tibetan Freedom festival in 1997. I watched the videos on youtube, they are there. Please and Until the end of the world are really good. It was Popmart era U2 without their stage, without their popmart outfits, just playing 5 songs to a crowd that seemed as though they were not diehard U2 fans. Check out the videos, it's really interesting to see.

THAT THAT will be doing it this year, they are the group/band of the moment.

I adore their latest release and there new single is well catchy , video is amazing too.

Strangely enough I was just thinking about this the other day. There's no reason U2 SHOULDNT ever play a festival again. And if anything it would only help to promote themselves to new fans and demographics. And that's not to say it would be any less than a regular U2 concert. Far from it actually. Just look at Radiohead's Bonnaroo performance. 27 songs, and the highlight of the festival...one of the finest performances of the career even.

So, basically, all I'm saying is....I want U2 to play Bonnaroo. :wink:

arcade fire is set for glastonbury, it seems.

so they must be the biggest band of the world.

U2 should give the Big Day Out a go. Other huge bands have done it. If the organisers can deal with the rabid Tool fans this year, they'd be fine with the U2 diehards.

Meghan said:
U2 should give the Big Day Out a go. Other huge bands have done it. If the organisers can deal with the rabid Tool fans this year, they'd be fine with the U2 diehards.
Are you serious? The BDO is for the kids and their favourite bands like The Killers, Jet etc... Now these are all cool bands, I like many of them myself, but the thing is they go hand in hand with the young audience. Next time U2 are touring again, after the next album, they will be nearing the age of 50 and I can't really imagine any band that old fitting in with the whole BDO thing no matter how much "cred" U2 may still have by then.

Greenlight said:

So who does he think "the biggest band in the world" is if it's not U2 or is it them and he's just stringing everyone along?

I doubt it'll be Oasis after their performance there last time ( :yikes: ). I don't think I'd describe Pearl Jam as "The biggest band in the world" as were/are they ever that popular in the UK? But I could see it being RHCP especially given how well received Stadium Arcadium was here.

kingofsorrow said:

it would remove the safety net off playing in front of your rabidly loyal fans. at a regular u2 gig there's nothing to prove, everyone there loves u2.
at a festival they would actually have to work to get the crowds favor. which would be great. just look at the old shows from when they were younger.

i was just remembering the superbowl, which were not all U2 fans for sure. even though it wasn't a festival, the U2 show was considered one of the best superbowl half-time shows ever. the crowd loved them.

U2girl said:
They already did that. :shrug:

sorry, i didn't mean it in the sense that they should do the superbowl again. I meant it in the way that if they did a festival in front of a crowd that is not totally U2 diehard fans (like they have at their concerts of course) that they can pull it off. look how well they did at the superbowl.

although if i had my wish they would be my top pick for superbowl half-time show every single year. :D

Last edited:
thankyou said:

i was just remembering the superbowl, which were not all U2 fans for sure. even though it wasn't a festival, the U2 show was considered one of the best superbowl half-time shows ever. the crowd loved them.

They were great at the Superbowl, they were great at "Tibet '97", They were great when they did appearances at the Brits/MTV Euro 2001/Grammys 2001/SNL 00+04 ans they were also good at Amnesty 86. Brooklyn 2004 was probably not their regular audience or "Yuppies '87"

What's also interesting is that they only did Tibet '97 because they were allowed to play in the middle of the day rather than last. It should also be noted that they were given a very generous amount($10mUSD????) to appear at the 2002 Superbowl.

I think U2 get corny(at least Bono) when they play to the same audience. Remember when they insisted that the Conan 2005 TV appearance be only u2 fans in the audience. TV talk shows only do that on very rare occasions.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

Remember when they insisted that the Conan 2005 TV appearance be only u2 fans in the audience. TV talk shows only do that on very rare occasions.

u2fp

where did you read or hear that? that totally doesn't sound like something they would request.

thankyou said:

where did you read or hear that? that totally doesn't sound like something they would request.

They had the entire audience lineup out front. Usually it's advance tickets and some stand-bys that view the show. It may have been a way to ensure it wasn't only "Family & Friends of NBC" in the audience.

U2FanPeter said:

They had the entire audience lineup out front. Usually it's advance tickets and some stand-bys that view the show. It may have been a way to ensure it wasn't only "Family & Friends of NBC" in the audience.

My impression was that the only way to be fair about it was to have an audience line. Otherwise, tickets would have gone up for sale on Ebay and Craigslist and it could have gotten out of hand. I don't think he was looking for only U2 fans, but he got many diehards.

thankyou said:

sorry, i didn't mean it in the sense that they should do the superbowl again. I meant it in the way that if they did a festival in front of a crowd that is not totally U2 diehard fans (like they have at their concerts of course) that they can pull it off. look how well they did at the superbowl.

although if i had my wish they would be my top pick for superbowl half-time show every single year. :D

No, not Superbowl. I meant they did play festivals circa War and UF era.

Back
Top Bottom