Will this Song make it to the next Best Of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think so, since "Kite" is from ATYCLB, and they already included ATYCLB songs on the latest Best Of.

It's one of my top three fave U2 songs though. :)

I think U2 played it a little safe with ATYCLB and not including all of the songs from it that they could have for the 1990-2000 Best of...my guess is that they saved 'Walk On', 'Elevation', and 'Kite' for the Best of 2000-2010...because we will probably only get two more albums from the band between this period, though I would welcome more, but I'm not thinking there will be. Plus, we see 7 years passing before the next Best of comes out, while the second installment was only 4 years after the first one...so I think it was smart of U2 to hold on to a few songs from ATYCLB for the next Best of.

Chris

Bonochick said:
I don't think so, since "Kite" is from ATYCLB, and they already included ATYCLB songs on the latest Best Of.

It's one of my top three fave U2 songs though. :)

But, "Walk on" and "Elevation" weren't released as singles until 2001, so that means that it would have no place on the best of 1990-2000. It'll be on the best of 2000-2010. I reckon U2 will do 3 albums in this decade. One in 2003, one in 2006/2007, one in 2010......then the best of will come out a few years later. Sad to say, we're nearing the final stretch of U2 here.

uh, kite is a good song and all, but how can we even possibily worry about the next best of?

and who cares?

The_acrobat said:

But, "Walk on" and "Elevation" weren't released as singles until 2001, so that means that it would have no place on the best of 1990-2000.

They may not have been released as singles until then, but they were on an album that was released in 2000. Therefore, those songs are songs from 2000.

U2 gave themselves an option to include songs from All That... on 2 separate Best Ofs. An album dated "2000" can have songs on a 1990-2000 Best Of or a 2000-2010 Best Of. It was a smart move to only include 2 songs from it on this Best Of. Now they could choose to include (or not) 2-3 more songs from All That... on the next Best Of. The option is there, but it does not necessarily mean that it has to happen.

Kite is a great song. As Bad made the first Best Of and End of the World made the second Best Of, I could see Kite on a future Best Of in this same manner.

Roland of Gilead said:
U2 gave themselves an option to include songs from All That... on 2 separate Best Ofs. An album dated "2000" can have songs on a 1990-2000 Best Of or a 2000-2010 Best Of. It was a smart move to only include 2 songs from it on this Best Of. Now they could choose to include (or not) 2-3 more songs from All That... on the next Best Of. The option is there, but it does not necessarily mean that it has to happen.

Kite is a great song. As Bad made the first Best Of and End of the World made the second Best Of, I could see Kite on a future Best Of in this same manner.

I second Roland?s opinion. :up:

Bonochick said:

They may not have been released as singles until then, but they were on an album that was released in 2000. Therefore, those songs are songs from 2000.

Yeah but this was in fact the band's reasoning. Edge stated (in the billboard interview I think) that those two ATYCLB songs were included because they were released as singles in 2000. Thus leaving the others for a future best of. :)

The_acrobat said:

But, "Walk on" and "Elevation" weren't released as singles until 2001,

Speaking of which, I was wondering why "Stuck..." made it to the latest Best Of, when it was a 2001 single. :confused:

I think Stuck in a Moment was included because even though it WAS released as a single in 2001, the single version was the same as the album version which was of course from 2000. Elevation and Walk On were released as singles in 2001 and were different versions than on the album. Mind you having said that Discotheque, SATS, Gone and Numb were all new versions from 2002 than the originals so I don't see why Elevation and Walk On couldn't have been included.

Perhaps a lesson for all of you followers of U2:

The only thing that's for sure is that nothing's for sure.
Let's not jump the gun and try to guess when U2 will stop. Hopefully, with U2 over the years, people have learned to sit back, watch, listen and enjoy. Many formidable rock acts have been able to continue viable careers into their 50's and 60's. If Bono and Co. can go, they go! Besides, U2 will never stop or end or whatever. We'll pass them on for generations to come, if possible.

I'll amend that slightly by saying U2 is in the RnR HOF in 2005!

Back
Top Bottom