Will they be as big as they were with ATYCLB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Every time a band takes a multi-year break between albums, they face the challenge of having to build up hype, and push themselves back into the spotlight.

U2 has had this challenge several times in their career. They did a pretty amazing thing with ATYCLB being 40 years old, coming off of what some considered a "flop" with the Pop album and tour, and yet somehow managing to return to the spotlight.

Do you think this level of attention and popularity can be achieved again with the new album?

I don't know,I like what Neil M. said in his interview with @u2.com. After stating how great the new album was, this came up.

<Do you foresee it being as big as The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, or bigger than that?

Well, I don't know, because those moments create themselves. U2 were riding the crest of a wave -- it wasn't just to do with U2. Just as fame isn't about the famous person, but what the audience needs or wants from them at that given time.

I'm sure that U2 being the professional organization that they have, delivering -- you know, they try and make big records that speak to the world and that's what they've delivered. I'm sure their organization will spring into motion and try to make this a 10-million plus selling album. But, whether they will capture the zeitgeist in a way they did at the end of the '80s, start of the '90s and just reverberate through the whole world is something that no one can predict because some force of the world that will decide that.>

why not? it shouldn't be too hard to step on Brittany Spear's toes or to shove N Sync out of the way. In the end, the general population knows what's good (and by "good" i mean real musicianship, thought provoking lyrics, and excellent songwriting) and what isn't (and by "isn't" i mean vocally challenged singers w/ computer assistance & basic pop formulas).

no. but they will be big this time around. but not as big as last album/tour.

keep in mind, the Sept. 11th attacks had a lot to do with U2's increased popularity during that period. not denying that they were popular before the attack, but Sept. 11th really shot U2 through the roof as far as popularity.

I agree with Mikal. Their not going to be as big as ATYCLB, being that album sold over 10 million and was the second largest tour of all time. Kind of hard to top. But I got a feeling the album itself will be better and thats all that matters to me, the music. Not the popularity. Their still going to be huge and sell out all the venues.

They should have an easier time getting to number 1 in America first week this go around, as opposed to october 2000 when ATYCLB came out the same week as the new Outkast and Jay Z albums. Apparently Destiny's Child has an album coming out the same time that will certainly outsell U2 if it comes out the same day. AHHH, what U2 have to compete with in America...

I think that the new album/tour will be just as big as ATYCLB because U2 built up such a large fanbase last time and all of those people will automatically turn out in droves for U2's next installment.

However, if the new album isn't as catchy or popular as ATYCLB, the album that may end up suffering will probably be the album AFTER this new one.

mikal said:
no. but they will be big this time around. but not as big as last album/tour.

keep in mind, the Sept. 11th attacks had a lot to do with U2's increased popularity during that period. not denying that they were popular before the attack, but Sept. 11th really shot U2 through the roof as far as popularity.

Maybe this was the case in the US, although record sales wouldn't necessarily back this up, but they had already `recovered the ground' in terms of sales, concerts & publicity in ROW B4 Sep 11.

ATYCLB has now sold 12m and it will take something to match that, and what it will take are single releases that capture the imagination of the mainstream. U2 fans will buy the new album no matter what, and from past experience that means worldwide sales of around 5/6million within the first two months, but it is the floating/new fan who will decide whether the success of ATYCLB is matched or bettered.

Mike

Here is an update again of the listing of albums released since January 1, 2000 that have sold at least 10 million copies worldwide.

1. Beatles: 1 : 24,000,000
2. Norah Jones: Come Away With Me : 18,000,000
3. Eminem: The Marshall Mathers LP : 17,000,000
4. Eminem: The Eminem Show : 16,000,000
5. Britney Spears: Oops!....I Did It Again : 15,000,000
6. Evanescence: Fallen : 14,000,000
7. Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory : 14,000,000
8. Shania Twain: UP! : 14,000,000
9. Avril Lavigne: Let Go : 14,000,000
10. N'Sync: No Strings Attached : 13,000,000
11. Madonna: Music : 12,500,000
12. U2: ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND : 11,500,000
13. Dido: No Angel : 11,000,000
14. Limp Bizkit: Chocolate Starfish : 11,000,000
15. Shakira: Laundry Service : 11,000,000
16. Pink: M!SSUNDAZTOOD : 11,000,000
17. Enya: A Day Without Rain : 10,500,000
18. Shaggy: Hotshot : 10,500,000
19. Moby: Play : 10,000,000
20. Robbie Williams: Escapology : 10,000,000

I just hope this multi million dollar ad campain they have planned for the fall doesn't backfire and we end up seeing statues of the band floating down a river or something.

STING2: wasn't this chart published in 2003? Surely those numbers should be updated.

ATYCLB was released almost a year ahead of 9/11 and did great, in US and elsewhere. If I recall right, 7+ millions were sold by the end of 2000 alone.

To answer the question, I don't think so. The "older" they get, the harder it will be to reach such high sales - also consider rock music isn't what it used to be in the years of JT or AB; now pop, r&b and hip hop are the biggest genres (in the US). I could see them somewhere around 9, 10 millions.

To answer the question, I don't think so. The "older" they get, the harder it will be to reach such high sales - also consider rock music isn't what it used to be in the years of JT or AB; now pop, r&b and hip hop are the biggest genres (in the US). I could see them somewhere around 9, 10 millions. [/B]

True but there are other 'rock' bands like the Chili Peppers who are pretty much the same age as U2 who are riding the crest of their careers at the moment.

U2 are about the music baby.

They don't need to go for pure sales

This is thier "White Album" baby.

Vertigo will be their Let it Be.

Back
Top Bottom