Will The "Original Of The Species" Single Improve On The Album Version?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigMacPhisto

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Considering what we've heard (and seen), it looks like "Original" is being mixed and prepared to be the next (and probably last) single from HTDAAB.

Personally, I think it can only improve on the album version, which hasn't really done much for me. I think the song would actually be better off if it was more stripped down (like the way they played it on the First Leg).....for the most part, I think U2 usually has only improved upon tracks when rerecording/remixing them, so I have faith that the OOTS Single will be more :drool: than :eyebrow:

I hope Original doesn't get relaesed as the next single...my gut feeling is that Love and Peace or Else has a much better chance of turning heads.

Maybe U2 went in the studio to remix LAPOE. With an edit, it would be a killer single. Just imagine the video for that one too...it's message is pretty timely right now too..much more than Original anyway...

uwwedoogie said:
LAPOE wont be released, is a brilliant song, just not single material..

I disagree. Many people I know who don't particularly like U2 think the song is great. It just might attract new fans

starvinmarvin said:

I disagree. Many people I know who don't particularly like U2 think the song is great. It just might attract new fans

Same here.

The album version of Original of the Species is perfect.

LAPOE would be a better single but on the other hand I'd like to see OOTS get released as a single for no other reason than so we can get a studio version of it in its stripped down form.

more simple arangement with an orchestra.
like piano starting out, then guitar joins, etc.

the album version seems to be front loaded if you know what I mean. The string section is right there at the first chorus, maybe they change it up, have strings just follow the song and have the big crescendo near the end instead of throughout.

I really like the idea of including an orchestra and making this a big tune, as I am not too keen on the album version. I remember hearing Metallica playing with an orchestra for the S&M album and the song "One" sounded incredible live and I think U2 could so the same thing.

I don't know why people want U2 to strip things down again, they have down that with ATYCLB and Elevation tour and to some extent with HTDAAB. I want to hear exciting, complicated tunes again or maybe big tunes with a big sound, maybe Original Of The Species could have that bigger sound with additional instruments.

I stated before they released ATYCLB that I'd like to hear U2 work with an orchestra and add something to their sound that 4 guys in a studio can't produce. Looks like they could be taking my advice after all:)

What's interesting is they actually worked with an orchestra for a more tracks on HTDAAB (or tracks that didn't make the album) but the sessions supposedly just got scrapped.....

I wonder if they may be remixing the 'Greatest B-Side Ever' as well. That would make this one killer single. :wink:

starvinmarvin said:
U2 hasn't really worked with an orchestra before. It could herald a new direction for the group.

Ever heard the live version of "One" which was a b-side on the Miss Sarajevo single? Magnificent. My favourite version of the song.

Of COURSE Original will be the next single. Bono already said ages ago that it would happen this way. Pay attention, people!

:wink:

The album version is nearly great, but it bogs down a bit lyrically at the beginning ("some things you shoudn't get too good at / like smiling, crying and celebrity..."). I hope Bono reworks that line into something a little less Oprah-esque.

Big string section sounds great, though -- it's an epic song and deserves to be recorded that way.

the album version is actually faboulous, i just think they're going to make the usual cuts to make it "radioperfect". so this means that i hope this wonderful song isn't going to be destructed like city of blinding lights. i would be happy if they wouldn't release any single anymore................if the price to pay is ruining the song

If they make it sound like the live versions they've been playing recently it will sound amazing

the tourist said:

Ever heard the live version of "One" which was a b-side on the Miss Sarajevo single?

No!! Can you post a link? Please?

As for the Original quesion...... :shrug: Time will tell.

Last edited:
if u2 wants to conquer some of the elton john audience, then original of the species is a good choice for a single

Yeah because Elton John invented the piano ballad..;) The Beatles must be pretty shit then. (fairly obvious who influenced OOTS and its not EJ.)

This song has as much potential as One...if not more.

Let the wise comments come raining down

Sleep Over Jack said:
Yeah because Elton John invented the piano ballad..;) The Beatles must be pretty shit then. (fairly obvious who influenced OOTS and its not EJ.)

OOTS does not sound like The Beatles. It sounds like U2-by-numbers.

Please explain how OOTS sounds like The Beatles.

I look forward to hearing the changes they make to the song....however I think they went in to rework" Bass Trap". I think hearing a string section in that song would easily make it U2's best instrumental ever :)

starvinmarvin said:

OOTS does not sound like The Beatles. It sounds like U2-by-numbers.

Please explain how OOTS sounds like The Beatles.

I soo wish I had some sort of musical vocabulary within which I could find the terms needed to say how I think OOTS sounds quite beatles-esque...but, as a thought exercise for one who thinks it's instead U2-by-numbers, what other U2 songs does it sound like?

I like the song as it is on the album, and haven't heard the newest live versions, but I also liked the stripped-down one they started with when they were first trying it out live on the tour.
I can also imagine it happily embellished with an orchestral arrangement...lots o' swelling strings, or maximizing the lullaby parts...somehow i'm hearing golden slumbers type dealies swirling...

cheers...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom