Will the next album really reflect what has been suggested?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Pop was supposed to be "dance/techno" and it really wasn't for the most part.

ATYCLB was supposed to be "rock" and it really wasn't for the most part.

With that, do you really think this new album will be the guitar-driven "rocker" they have suggested to this point?

While I'm skeptical, I think it could be. The success of ATYCLB gives the band a bit more freedom to do something not so "safe", that may not be as widely embraced by all.

Your thoughts?

I just hope it's something they've never really done before. Even if I don't absolutely love it, at least I'll be able to, you know, respect it.

What's so "daring" and "not safe" about being guitar-driven anyway? If anything the album has a bigger chance to be embraced by many if it -is- a rocker IMO.

I'm pretty sure that at most it will be closest to AB in terms of "rocking"; that is, it will have quite a few slow or mid-tempo songs just like AB does.

U2 always exagerrate and to an extent lie. They are also shrewd salesmen after all. So the new album will definitely not live up to the pre-release hype. No U2 album after the Joshua Tree has ever lived up to the pre-release hype anyway.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
U2 always exagerrate and to an extent lie. They are also shrewd salesmen after all. So the new album will definitely not live up to the pre-release hype. No U2 album after the Joshua Tree has ever lived up to the pre-release hype anyway.

Cheers,

J

Er, Achtung Baby anyone?

The last U2 album that had a "uniform" sound in my opinion was War. Every U2 album since then has had a pretty wide range of sounds and textures. That being said, there will be 3 or 4 songs on it that will be "Gone" or "Electrical Storm" like, and then 6 or 7 songs that are unexpected.

who cares what it sounds like.....i just want it to be released...then i can praise or criticize the album....
either way,
i think it will be great

Whats The Story? said:

Er, Achtung Baby anyone?

I stand corrected. You are right about Achtung Baby. And even Zooropa. I was just too dead set on R&H that I forgot there were two albums not so greatly hyped that exceeded expectations. But with POP and ATYCLB, it was all Bono's big mouth hyping the the nth degree, and even now he is also giving us hype about the new album. It will never live up to the hype I believe. It will hardly reflect was has been suggested. Besides, Bono always gives contradictory statements on what the album will sound like so that he can appeal to the fans of different genres of music. One interview he said ATYCLB was "joy". In another he said it was "titanium soul" - then in another he said it was just "4 musicians in one room." Well, we all know now it all turned out to be bullsh!t.

Cheers,

J

IT all turned out to be bullshit? i didnt think that we were supposed to use ignorant language in this forum jick. i remember that he said "joy" early on in the recording process for ATYCLB. i do believe that titanium soul and "four musicians in a room" can be used to describe the album.

RickFly said:
IT all turned out to be bullshit? i didnt think that we were supposed to use ignorant language in this forum jick. i remember that he said "joy" early on in the recording process for ATYCLB. i do believe that titanium soul and "four musicians in a room" can be used to describe the album.

Four musicians in a room was shot down when the album opened with a sequencer and a drum loop. ATYCLB is almost as synth-filled as POP and Achtung, but it isn't as obvious because they did some nice melodies and sing-along tunes in that album. Joy wasn't true, because there are a lot of sad serious songs in ATYCLB. Even Adam commented that they inserted Wild Honey in the last minute just so that the album would have another joyous upbeat song, meaning most of the songs weren't. As for titanium soul, pardon my French but up to now I still don't have a clue as to what Bono meant by that statement.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Four musicians in a room was shot down when the album opened with a sequencer and a drum loop. ATYCLB is almost as synth-filled as POP and Achtung, but it isn't as obvious because they did some nice melodies and sing-along tunes in that album. Joy wasn't true, because there are a lot of sad serious songs in ATYCLB. Even Adam commented that they inserted Wild Honey in the last minute just so that the album would have another joyous upbeat song, meaning most of the songs weren't. As for titanium soul, pardon my French but up to now I still don't have a clue as to what Bono meant by that statement.

Cheers,

J

U2 have been using synth-sounds and keyboards ever since UF, nothing new there. Still ATYCLB is way more organic sounding than their 90's stuff and that's what they probably meant by "four musicians in a room". Yes, the songs are serious but also it's probably their most uplifting album ever. As for titanium soul, in an interview Bono said to him "soul music was more about revealing than concealing", so he might have meant the lyrics. Then again, he could have meant the band's take on soul music in In a little while or Stuck in a moment.

Back
Top Bottom