Will the full band version of In God's Country make a comeback ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doubdtful. Bono commented in the past that he had problems with the timing and singing on the full band version. Its why it was dropped from the Lovetown setlist early. Would be awesome and you never know, but unlikely.

Blue Room said:
Doubdtful. Bono commented in the past that he had problems with the timing and singing on the full band version.

Really?... He didn't seem to have any kind of problem in the r&h movie version, which by the way is amazing.

bedouin fire said:

Really?... He didn't seem to have any kind of problem in the r&h movie version, which by the way is amazing.

He can do it (obviously), he just didnt enjoy the song because he had to concentrate on it so much. He has also said in the past he had no idea how to sing a song like In God's Country live and didnt like trying (this was in 1989). Look at the bootleg of JT from LA on that song. You can tell he is just focused on the timing and nothing else. He stares straight forward and barely even looks around. Even on R and H he is a little bit. I'am not saying its impossible or that he cant do it. Based on what he said though he doesnt like doing it and I think a full band version is unlikely as a result. Maybe he will try it again and find he is better at it now, who knows, other than U2. But I doubdt it, I would love to be wrong on it though.

Last edited:
I think the acoustic version gives us a tiny bit of hope. Also, with things being so far in the future, they'd probably change things around a little bit so Bono doesn't have the problems Blue Room is talking about. After all, this is fifteen years on since it was last performed full band, times have changed.

well... Blue Room is right... In God's Country, at the R&H speed, is quite a task... it's too damm fast, and trying to go along with guitar, that's the tricky part... it's really difficult

It would be cool if they played it again but actually, for the first time ever, I would like to see Bono and Edge playing the acoustic version because I really, really loved the harmonica, it fits the song really well. But they should bring Exit back too, it would be interesting.

I read an interview w/ Edge and Bono around the Zoo TV era in the Best of Propaganda book. One question asked was what song did they hate to most to play live. Edge said Two Hearts Beat As One and Bono said In God's Country. Bono mentioned it was tough for him to sing. Too bad, it's one of my favorite songs the band have played live.

Back
Top Bottom