will Bono sound like shit on this new album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, i was just saying that U2 wanted something different, I mean Pop was quite rock-like, disco/do you feel loved/mofo/LNOE/Gone/starin at the sun.

and Achtung/zooropa bfore that, well, zooropa wasn't nearly as rock as Achtung, but it was all in the 2nd part of that tour so...

All i was saying is that it isn't crap just because it's different.

********Oh, and Shaun Vox i was wondering, do you like those songs i mentioned? BD/ele/new york/when i look...etc.. just curios, lol!!!!

anyway, i think we'll be impressed by the new stuff, they show the current so called "rockers" what its all about and why they are the biggest band on earth, again! LOL!!!!!

I also agree they need to crank up the amps!!!

I think this album will be more of a return to their earlier stuff (boy/war) than ATYCLB. I think it'll be kinda like an updated/current sound of boy/war.

Why the HELL are you slaggin off Bono's voice Shaun Vox!!! I haven't noticed a slight change in his voice!!! :mad:

How can you come on here and pradict that his voice is going to be shit!!!!!

HE HAS THE SWEETEST VOICE!!!

I get hate mail off the moderator for my coments whats make you soo special, not fair!!!!! :mad:

Headache, you're not "dum" but ATYCLB was U2's "we're established, but we need to stop experimenting and get a broad audience back" album. While it is one of my favorites I have to admit the fact that my wife loves it so much takes off some of the sheen (she's avidly stand-offish with U2). There are some great songs on it, and there are some semi-safe songs on it, but all-in-all it's a very good album.

I agree that it doesn't consistently "rawk" but it's definitely one of their best album of "songs", and almost all of the songs are strong on their own. And that makes it a very good album.

i was watching slane dvd last night and his voice is very scratchy right from the start(BD) now i love the new years show(Joshua tree erra) very powerfull and clear vocals. its like a different person! and i dont think somking fucked bono,s voice up because many rock&roll singers smoke and do drugs and they still have the power in their voice. Chris cornell for exp.(only the smoking part) and he can still screem. also if you watch the unforgettable fire documentary and listen to the vocal solo by bono. it is clear that bono has lost his vox.:sad: he still can sing(no doubt) but he is not going to be the best rock singer.he was in the 80 early 90s but not any more. some might say he should spend more time with his vocal coach and less with politicians but when it comes down to it its all what he(bono) wants.
ATYCLB is not a bad album its just not rock&roll!

so i cant wait for their first single, will it rock, will bono hit any insane notes, only time will tell:drool:

Kate1 said:
I get hate mail off the moderator for my coments whats make you soo special, not fair!!!!! :mad:
well, mods don't send hatemail

but anyways
we hardly ever moderate content because of freedom of speech
yada yada

we do warn people who post in a provocative manner

when people are just here to talk crap about U2 that will be considered trolling though
and trolling is a reason to get banned

it's a beautiful day indeed

shaun vox said:
i was watching slane dvd last night and his voice is very scratchy right from the start(BD) now i love the new years show(Joshua tree erra) very powerfull and clear vocals. its like a different person! and i dont think somking fucked bono,s voice up because many rock&roll singers smoke and do drugs and they still have the power in their voice. Chris cornell for exp.(only the smoking part) and he can still screem. also if you watch the unforgettable fire documentary and listen to the vocal solo by bono. it is clear that bono has lost his vox.:sad: he still can sing(no doubt) but he is not going to be the best rock singer.he was in the 80 early 90s but not any more. some might say he should spend more time with his vocal coach and less with politicians but when it comes down to it its all what he(bono) wants.

I think Bono spent many years kind of stumbling his way into his singing style, without any professional training. That in turn probably messed his vocal chords up in an irreversible way. That coupled with the smoking (which has lowered his voice tremendously) has changed his voice. And as far as smoking NOT fucking up one's voice -- sorry, simply ain't the case. Blow some smoke into a paper towel and see the residue - now imagine that lining your throat after smoking a few cigarettes a day. Now multiply that by how many times one has been smoking and yeah, it's gonna have some effect on the voice (Sinatra, anyone?)

Anyways, I think Bono's been really smart in trying to find new ways to use his voice the last few years and the new album will prbably be in the same vain. He won't sound like shit, he'll sound like Bono.

Also, on a related topic, I heard that Bono will actually take a shit on the new album (I think it's track #4)

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Headache, you're not "dum" but ATYCLB was U2's "we're established, but we need to stop experimenting and get a broad audience back" album. While it is one of my favorites I have to admit the fact that my wife loves it so much takes off some of the sheen (she's avidly stand-offish with U2). There are some great songs on it, and there are some semi-safe songs on it, but all-in-all it's a very good album.

I agree that it doesn't consistently "rawk" but it's definitely one of their best album of "songs", and almost all of the songs are strong on their own. And that makes it a very good album.

:up:

it's very good, but not their "3rd masterpiece" IMO,
I think that title was handed out a little hastily.

Shaun Vox, not to be rude, just trying to help you out, heck you might even enjoy the album more because os this....

ATYCLB is rock and roll. I'm taking "Popular music in popular culture" at university right now and R'n'R is defined by the instruments used:
-electric guitar
-drums
-base
-vocals

these are the conventional instruments of rock and roll. These are used on ATYCLB. Also, any inclusion of supplementary instruments is just for embellishment, artistic expression, and to complete the sound of the song.

The second, and very important element of R'n'R is the backbeat. Notice that in virtually ALL R'n'R songs the drums go, "one-TWO-three-FOUR" in the background along with some other little drumming bits, which make the songs unique.

check if the songs on ATYCLB have this, I did, and they do. That's why slower songs, ex. one, are still considered R'n'R, they have the backbeat.

I bet if you listen to the songs while reading the lyrics a couple times, you'll enjoy the album a little more. I mean R'n'R doesn't have to be smashing drums and cranking up complicated guitar riffs and solos.

R'n'R is an idea that music can make you feel something, rock and roll, it's supposed to 'move' you, doesn't have to be fast, doesn't have to be slow, just move you, spirit moves you, she moves you, mysterious wayyyyyyss!!!!!!!

shaun vox said:

so i cant wait for their first single, will it rock, will bono hit any insane notes, only time will tell:drool:

I thought fans were in general agreement Slane was a great Bono night - by current standards and circumstances, of course.

You have to consider he's been singing incredibly high notes for over 20 years - for a not trained singer - that alone must have cost him something, plus smoking didn't help either. Yes it's scratchy and it might not be the same in the high regions, but tough luck if you miss the old days (yet he can still sound real good; Kite or ES are proof), also remember that was in the middle of a tour, his voice is now rested. He's learned to work well with his limitations IMO.

Did you expect him to sound the same throghout his career? Impossible.

What is a best singer, anyway? Someone that can scream like a maniac? Putting emotions across and touching millions of people is worth more IMO, and I don't think Bono has any serious competition there.

U2girl said:
I thought fans were in general agreement Slane was a great Bono night - by current standards and circumstances, of course.

You have to consider he's been singing incredibly high notes for over 20 years - for a not trained singer - that alone must have cost him something, plus smoking didn't help either. Yes it's scratchy and it might not be the same in the high regions, but tough luck if you miss the old days (yet he can still sound real good; Kite or ES are proof), also remember that was in the middle of a tour, his voice is now rested. He's learned to work well with his limitations IMO.

Did you expect him to sound the same throghout his career? Impossible.

What is a best singer, anyway? Someone that can scream like a maniac? Putting emotions across and touching millions of people is worth more IMO, and I don't think Bono has any serious competition there.

Well said.

I can definitely relate with hitting high notes and not being trained to do so-I was in choir for two years in high school-hadn't taken any singing lessons prior to that, and the choir teacher the very first year put me in the soprano section, and it was discovered that I am not meant to hit notes that high-I was straining my voice and all that, and I think that did do a bit of a number on my voice in regards to singing. So that would certainly make sense with Bono.

But personally, be his voice gravelly or raspy or smooth or whatever, I think he sounds great. A lot better than some of the singers I've heard as of late.

Also, LOL at Rafiennes' comment at the end of their post. :laugh: :p.

Angela

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

Well said.

I can definitely relate with hitting high notes and not being trained to do so-I was in choir for two years in high school-hadn't taken any singing lessons prior to that, and the choir teacher the very first year put me in the soprano section, and it was discovered that I am not meant to hit notes that high-I was straining my voice and all that, and I think that did do a bit of a number on my voice in regards to singing. So that would certainly make sense with Bono.
aye

I ruined my singing voice by having to sing tenor for way too many years because of a lack of men who want to be caught anywhere near a choir

Last edited:
Let's see...... younger Bono, older Bono; "War" Bono, "ATYCLB" Bono; studio Bono, live Bono...what do these things all have in common? Only the SEXIEST d*mn man to have ever poured a Guinness down his gullet! :love:
You see, unless you've made a pact with old Beelzebub :mac: , we're all going to get older. And quite frankly, that's part of the band's appeal to me; they're older, they're grayer, their foreheads are getting larger (LOL), and even their vocal cords are aging. But that only means they're human and therefore subject to the same laws of time and space as me - which helps me relate to them that much more.
Nobody (living) gets to stay young forever - and not even those in the public eye should be expected to. ;)

I have a feeling that they'll go out on top - they won't stick around forever and become a shadow of themselves. They are way too aware of their own legend for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom