Wild Irish Rose appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnytakeawalk

Refugee
In a field by a river
my love and I did lie
And on my naked shoulder
she too proud to cry
She said that I must leave her
an icy tear she froze
How could I melt the heart
Of a Wild Irish Rose

Well a gypsy she has made of me
A servent of the street
And back to bed I've travelled
To taste a love as sweet
Well the heart it knows no reasons
And reason never knows
As I lie with them I'm thinking
Of a Wild Irish Rose

Well I saw the city of angels
It brought a devil out in me
And Hell's hotel on Sunset
Showed a whore no mercy
As the orange sky was screaming
From the roof I let her go
These are the dizzying heights that brought me
My Wild Irish Rose

Now red is the rose
That she layed on my grave
A life is what she wanted
And a life I surely gave
Like a hundred men before me
They lay lying here in rows
Young men, bloody
As a Wild Irish Rose

:drool: :drool: :drool:

How georgous is this song?! Both the melody and lyrics are stunning!

Obviously it sounds like nothing U2 have done before and that's why I love it! I reckon it'd be great if U2 would do a whole album with traditional Irish sounding songs like wild irish rose

jonnytakeawalk said:
I reckon it'd be great if U2 would do a whole album with traditional Irish sounding songs like wild irish rose

I would like to see this as well, U2 seemed to be quite into trad in the late 80s but they don't seem as interested in the genre any more.

Do you have a link to download this song or do you know where I can get it?

Tenth best U2 song ever, in my opinion. I love everything about it - not only are the lyrics great, but Bono sings them with such power. It is a tragedy this was never properly released, not even on iTunes!

Axver remember when you said I would probably hate this song because I don't like the moody Passengers stuff and 'Alex Decends' so you decided not to let me listen to it...

Well I listened too it... it's pretty good. :wink:

catlhere said:
Axver remember when you said I would probably hate this song because I don't like the moody Passengers stuff and 'Alex Decends' so you decided not to let me listen to it...

Well I listened too it... it's pretty good. :wink:

:shocked:

Didn't expect that from you.

FungusAmongus said:
this is gonna sound stupid, but did bono write this song?

Yes, I believe it was inspired by some time he spent in Los Angeles.

On my version of the song Bono talks during a bit of it, telling the story of how the song came about. Is this on all the versions or is there a version without that?

Lemonfix said:
On my version of the song Bono talks during a bit of it, telling the story of how the song came about. Is this on all the versions or is there a version without that?

There's a version without it. That's the version from a documentary. There's a clean version too(not clean as in uncensored though).

namkcuR said:

There's a version without it. That's the version from a documentary. There's a clean version too(not clean as in uncensored though).

Is it a fan edited version? Because I've never heard of a real version existing...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Is it a fan edited version? Because I've never heard of a real version existing...

I don't know...it sounds professional, you can't hear any cuts or anything. It sounds official.

I understand the edit was made by a (very talented!) fan. The documentary version has Bono talking over a verse and I don't think that verse appears in the 'clean' version.

I just heard this song for the first time last week, I think its one of their best. I loved it :heart: It sounds like an old irish tune. I can' believe that Bono wrote it. Just Beautiful.

As an Irish person with an appreciation of both U2 and traditional Irish music I think Wild Irish Rose is completely embarrassing. It sounds like a experiment that went very badly wrong IMO. Sorry :(

jonnytakeawalk said:
I reckon it'd be great if U2 would do a whole album with traditional Irish sounding songs like wild irish rose

I don't know about the wild irish rose song, but I was definitely gonna start a thread on this topic a few wks ago! :lmao:

I just think their "back to roots" record, pt 2 might be more successful if this time they got back to the roots of their own country. *cough* :wink:

Tomorrow was a good song & live too, and didn't Edge take pipe lessons forever ago? yeah...that is my secret wish...or maybe a Chieftains collaboration album or something

Back
Top Bottom