Wild Irish Rose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irishteen

Blue Crack Addict
So does any one else like this song, when i first heard it I hated it then I removed the radio bits and started liking it. And the other day made abit of a mix and now I love this song, when you mix 2 songs you like you get a brillant song.

This song is truly amazing. How it failed to make an album, I do not understand.

likewise:huh:

hmm is there a song by somebody else called Wild Irish Rose? the name is very familiar..:scratch:

Great song with beautiful lyrics ... :applaud: :drool:

Wild Irish Rose

In a field by a river my lover and I did lie
On my naked shoulder she too proud to cry
She said that I must leave her, an icy tear she froze
How could I melt the heart, of a Wild Irish Rose

Well, a gypsy she has made of me, a servant of the streets
From bed to bed I've travelled to taste a love as sweet
Well the heart it knows no reasons, and reason never knows
As I lie with them I am thinking of a Wild Irish Rose

We all fall, ran down, slow down, skip ... and all's love was stale
But with all that I found on C street, I thought I'd found my grave
All night and day she is, and I dance under the glows
And all that time of dancing from a Wild Irish Rose

Well, I saw the City Of Angels, it brought a devil out of me
In Hell's hotel on Sunset, showed a whore no mercy
As the orange sky was screaming, from the roof I let her go
These are the dizzy heights that brought me my Wild Irish Rose

Now, wild is the rose that she laid on my grave
A life was all she wanted and a life I surely gave
Like a hundred men before me, they lay lying here in rows
Young men, bloody, as a Wild Irish Rose

Axver said:
How it failed to make an album...

Really? I didn't know that... actually i don't have any information about the song :| Is the song from the ATYCLB era???

I just listened to it. Thanks, Azor!
I've never heard it before in any form or by anybody that I can remember.
Isn't it a classic Irish song?
I thought it was awesome.

Irishteen said:
So does any one else like this song, when i first heard it I hated it then I removed the radio bits and started liking it. And the other day made abit of a mix and now I love this song, when you mix 2 songs you like you get a brillant song.

Can I hear your copy w/o the radio bits? I've always loved this song.

Azor said:

Is the song from the ATYCLB era???

Actually, the first time I heard this song was on a program called
Irish Music And America ... it was back during The Joshua Tree era
and it was performed by Bono and accompanying him on guitar was The Edge ...

Thanks Azor...love it hmm i came across a site saying it was from the time they spent at the Million Dollar Hotel?

the person who has posted the lyrics on the site mentioned Bono saying this:

"This is based on a...on the time we spent in a hotel called the Millon Dollar Hotel in Los Angeles, which is downtown Los Angeles. It's like a half-way house hotel for bums and people thrown out of hospitals under the Regean era. And I was being taken through this hotel--I was doing some filming down there--and I noticed that the cheap liquor that all the bums drank was called Wild Irish Rose. So I started with the line, 'The city of Angels/Has brought a devil out in me', and developed it on from there. The Rose in Ireland, as you know, is a sort of romantic image of love, obviously, but it's also an image of Ireland itself. That is an image I thought would be nice to subvert."

LJT said:

"This is based on a...on the time we spent in a hotel called the Millon Dollar Hotel in Los Angeles, which is downtown Los Angeles. It's like a half-way house hotel for bums and people thrown out of hospitals under the Regean era. And I was being taken through this hotel--I was doing some filming down there--and I noticed that the cheap liquor that all the bums drank was called Wild Irish Rose. So I started with the line, 'The city of Angels/Has brought a devil out in me', and developed it on from there. The Rose in Ireland, as you know, is a sort of romantic image of love, obviously, but it's also an image of Ireland itself. That is an image I thought would be nice to subvert."

Bono also mentioned that in an interview on the "Irish Music And America" program, besides him and Edge performing the song Wild Irish Rose ...

I'm sure I used to have some video of this. It wasn't an actual "video" in the usual sense. I remember a very scruffy-looking Bono talking about the song, and then it being played. I lost it, and a bunch of other goodies, when my computer croaked a while back.:( Does any else remember this, or am I going prematurely senile?

I think it was from 1990, if I'm not mistaken. 'Night and Day' era.
in between Lovetown and Berlin.

I found the VHS it's on, released in 1991.

it's possibly a few years older than that, who knows for sure. 1987 at the earliest.

Last edited:
It's a lovely, ambient trad is how I'd describe it, here's to U2 eventually making the Irish traditional record I dream of at night:wink:

Its a brilliant song- another one to add to the collection of unbelievably left-off album tracks including North and South of the River, Electrical Storm, Sweetest Thing (until Best Of 80s) Mercy etc. It appeared on the BBC programme Bringing It all Back Home screened in 1990 and was played live only. A Double CD was released with many of the featured tracks, but unbelievably WIR never showed up on it. At the time there were many rumours of U2 splitting up post-Lovetown as Bono had spoken about "going away, dreaming it all up again". The British Music Press, especially the NME which seemed to have a post Achtung Baby Damascene conversion but at the time HATED U2 with a passion, used the track, along with the Night and Day cover, as proof that U2 had failed to make the transition from 80s American style stadium rock to 90s Euro dance crossover irony. They were talking up at the time bands like the Happy Mondays and the Stone Roses, the latter of whom were meant to inherit the mantle of worlds best band while U2 made one last pale imitation Joshua Tree album before retiring on their royalties. The rest, as they say, is history...

Thanks so much!

It's been years since I heard this song (on Irish Music in America). I love it (I wish I still had the VHS but it disappeared on me years ago) and it's great to hear it again. Thanks.

There was another song with the same title:

My Wild Irish Rose
Traditional
Words and Music By: Chauncey Olcott

My Wild Irish Rose,
The sweetest flow'r that grows,
You may search ev'rywhere,
But none can compare
With My Wild Irish Rose.
My Wild Irish Rose,
The dearest flow'r that grows,
And some day for my sake,
She may let me take
The bloom from My Wild Irish Rose.

echo0001 said:
There was another song with the same title:

My Wild Irish Rose

Well, not quite the same, as the U2 song does not have 'My' in the title. </pedantical>

echo0001 said:
Thanks so much!

It's been years since I heard this song (on Irish Music in America).
(I wish I still had the VHS but it disappeared on me years ago)

Sorry to hear that, but I know what you mean ... :sad:
I have a copy of the Irish Music And America program,
but it's definitely showing it's signs of wear-and-tear ... obviously, I have played that U2 segment "wayyyyy too much" over the years :tsk:
Since, it's my only copy of that song, I had GOOD reason ! :drool:

Ronan2standstil said:
The British Music Press, especially the NME which seemed to have a post Achtung Baby Damascene conversion but at the time HATED U2 with a passion, used the track, along with the Night and Day cover, as proof that U2 had failed to make the transition from 80s American style stadium rock to 90s Euro dance crossover irony. They were talking up at the time bands like the Happy Mondays and the Stone Roses, the latter of whom were meant to inherit the mantle of worlds best band while U2 made one last pale imitation Joshua Tree album before retiring on their royalties. The rest, as they say, is history...

Just wondering what was NME's review like of Achtung when it came out?

biff said:
I'm sure I used to have some video of this. It wasn't an actual "video" in the usual sense. I remember a very scruffy-looking Bono talking about the song, and then it being played. I lost it, and a bunch of other goodies, when my computer croaked a while back.:( Does any else remember this, or am I going prematurely senile?

Yeah, he's reading the words out of a notebook as he sings then he tells some stories or something?

BTW in answer to LJT's question, the NME swallowed its pride and said that U2's album was "not too bad". They hated saying this because they hated U2 previously, like they hated all successful bands. I think they gave it 3/5 or something. They did reserve some ire for Wild Horses which they said sounded too like U2, and questioned some of Bono's lyric-writing skills. Ever since they have been U2 lovers. This is what Bono is talking about when he bemoans the old UK indie scene which ended the Smiths, Clash etc. BTW I rememeber one of their writers quoted "Bono liking the Stone Roses" as one of his "Worst Things of the Year- 1989"

Back
Top Bottom