Why ZooTV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
probs summet to do with Zoo station. I think they named it TV because of the Iraw war was getting like 24/7 coverage at the time and that was a big deal.

Zoo: Zoo Station

TV: A reference to media overload. In the early 90s, the line between news and entertainment had begun to grow very thin. With satellites everywhere, you could get live covarage of anything, from the brutal (war coverage) to the idiotic (celebrity antics, and the like).

I'd also like to think that the "Zoo" bit was a reference to the chaoticness of the entire tour. It was a bit of a circus :wink: And you must admit, ZooTV is a fantastic name for a tour.
Maybe we could get some insight from some of the older fans here, but at the time, for those that didn't know anything about Zoolog Garten and the inspiration for Zoo station, did the tour name conjure up an image of well, a zoo? :p

there is a train station in berlin near where they were recording named Zoo Station, and it is on the "U2" line on the Berlin Metro.

u2_zoo_station.jpg

Last edited:
DreamOutLoud13 said:
Zoo: Zoo Station

TV: A reference to media overload. In the early 90s, the line between news and entertainment had begun to grow very thin. With satellites everywhere, you could get live covarage of anything, from the brutal (war coverage) to the idiotic (celebrity antics, and the like).

I'd also like to think that the "Zoo" bit was a reference to the chaoticness of the entire tour. It was a bit of a circus :wink: And you must admit, ZooTV is a fantastic name for a tour.
Maybe we could get some insight from some of the older fans here, but at the time, for those that didn't know anything about Zoolog Garten and the inspiration for Zoo station, did the tour name conjure up an image of well, a zoo? :p

Thanks! :D

Speaking of ZooTV. Does anyone know wich song they played before U2 went on stage on the tour?

Sonic said:

Thanks! :D

Speaking of ZooTV. Does anyone know wich song they played before U2 went on stage on the tour?

Depends on the leg

Wasn't it also a reference to the "Morning Zoo" radio shows (which ZooTV was in some ways the AV version of)?

So you know the answers to the other 8 questions in the u2.se competition? :wink:

Not that there is anything wrong with asking here, it helps me as well :whistle:

It pretty much is taken from the song ZOO Station, whichof course is taken from the station in Berlin. In the U2 bible, Bill flannagan describes that at the end of WW2, the Berlin Zoo gets bombed and all the wild animal escape, so as the Berliners are trying to flee from the Russians and from allied bombs they also have tigers and rhinos etc to deal with.
It's so cool that Zoo STation itself is on the U2 branch of the Berlin underground. I also love the map of the Berlin Underground, which is in the Achtung Baby booklet next to the Zoo Station lyrics.

tommycharles said:
Wasn't it also a reference to the "Morning Zoo" radio shows (which ZooTV was in some ways the AV version of)?

Yes, absolutely. In broadcasting this is also known as open mic radio.

Zoo station came first, as the Hansa Studio was based near it in Berlin, but there's no doubt whatsoever that the broadcasting term was chosen for the tour as it fitted in perfectly with what it was all about. All quite cooincidental.

Television, the drug of the nation...breeding ignorance and feeding radiation!!

Bono was also reading a Dr.Seuss book called , " If I ran the ZOO." I think that was in the book you mentioned //

Back
Top Bottom