Why Zooropa is genius...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that the top end of Zooropa can compete with any U2 release. Especially Stay, Lemon, and Zooropa. It becomes quite evident that the weaker tracks are there and that there are too many of them. Dirty Day is a good track, but really turns into a monster when it is played live. This is a song I wouldn't mind seeing make a comeback on the next tour. Bono was great this past tour and I think he could handle this song again.

Roland of Gilead said:
Dirty Day is a good track, but really turns into a monster when it is played live. This is a song I wouldn't mind seeing make a comeback on the next tour. Bono was great this past tour and I think he could handle this song again.

I have to agree with this. :up:

Sorry, its NOT a classic

Achtung Baby is a classic, Joshua Tree is a classic, Sgt. Pepper is a classic, Dark Side of the Moon is a classic, Zooropa? no, not a classic. Sorry:(

Last edited:
gherman said:
Sorry, its NOT a classic

Achtung Baby is a classic, Joshua Tree is a classic, Sgt. Pepper is a classic, Dark Side of the Moon is a classic, Zooropa? no, not a classic. Sorry:(

Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Magical Mystery Tour > Sgt. Pepper

Zooropa > Achtung Baby

Animals > DSOTM

So much for the classics. :drool:

LemonMelon said:

Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, Magical Mystery Tour > Sgt. Pepper

Zooropa > Achtung Baby

Animals > DSOTM

So much for the classics. :drool:

May be to someone who's on drugs:ohmy:

Last edited:
Roland of Gilead said:
I think that the top end of Zooropa can compete with any U2 release. Especially Stay, Lemon, and Zooropa. It becomes quite evident that the weaker tracks are there and that there are too many of them.

too many of them??

you just said dirty day is a good track...
the top half up to stay can compete with any other release...
the first time was good enough to make the greatest hits...
wanderer has some of bonos best lyrics....

that would leave 2. 3 counting babyface.
:huh:

gherman said:

Like your opinion matters:|

Does yours? :wink: EDIT: You deleted what was in your quote, so consider this part out of date. :yes:

I'm pretty sure there would be a good chunk of this forum that would agree with at least a couple of those, or at least that those "classics" are NOT the best albums from their respective artists. My point?

Classic does not necessarily equal perfection. Classic means that something has been a cultural staple for years and years and will be for years to come. Actually, the term "classic", as with music itself, is quite subjective. An album may be considered classic by legions of critics, but one single mix tape could be considered classic by one person because it has touched them for years and years and they may pass it on to their children and the legend will continue.

I could argue about the quality of those records for hours, but the fact remains: they're not classic to me.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

Does yours? :wink: EDIT: You deleted what was in your quote, so consider this part out of date. :yes:

I'm pretty sure there would be a good chunk of this forum that would agree with at least a couple of those, or at least that those "classics" are NOT the best albums from their respective artists. My point?

Classic does not necessarily equal perfection. Classic means that something has been a cultural staple for years and years and will be for years to come. Actually, the term "classic", as with music itself, is quite subjective. An album may be considered classic by legions of critics, but one single mix tape could be considered classic by one person because it has touched them for years and years and they may pass it on to their children and the legend will continue.

I could argue about the quality of those records for hours, but the fact remains: they're not classic to me.

Good for you

1. Zooropa - A great track, truley experimental for them. Sounds like U2 expanding on what they built with Achtung Baby. 10/10

2. Babyface - A song about masterbation with a falsetto and an early 90's R&B/Pop backing track. Dated and pointless. Gets a point for humor but otherwise, ach. 1/10

3. Numb - Edge raps to a guitar slide. What? 1/10

4. Lemon - Bono in Falsetto again. Song about his mom with more of the dated club backing tracks. 3/10

5. Stay - Brilliant song from Edge's riff to Bono's powerful vocals to Larry's off tempo drums. Great canonical U2. 9/10

6. Daddy's Gonna Pay - Another song whose lyrics are on the same plane as Babyface with again the pointless subject matter. Great drums, comes off well live. The Dr. Seus bridge is pretty cool. 4/10

7. Some Days - Reviled here and that surprises me. Other than Stay and Zooropa, it's the only track where Bono's using his full voice. Not Edge's strongest song, but lyrically it's clever and has a nice bass line. The C+C Music Factory back beat doesn't do it any favors. 6/10

8. The First Time - Stay's slower younger brother. And not just BPM slow; but hockey helmet slow. As borring live as it is on the album. Should have been a B Side. I'm sure the EMO'ers would love it, but for someone who fell in love with U2's music for it's energy & heart, it's hard to like a song without either. 2/10

9. Dirty Day - Another song that plods along on the album- but it does come off live fairly well. They missed the boat by not figuring out the Better Kiss mix until years later where it actually develops a hook. 4/10

10. The Wanderer - Okay, the only reason to like Johnny Cash is for his song writing ability. He's like Bob Dylan. Excellent songwriter but an aquired taste when it comes to his voice. I would have rather had it reversed; Bono singing a Johnny cash song rather than take up valuable album space and studio time with this Sci Fi homage to Gene Autry sung by the wrong era cowboy. Wim Wenders Soundtrack fodder. 0/10.

Total album rated by average: 4/10

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom