why wasn't Miracle Drug a huge song? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:01 PM
why wasn't Miracle Drug a huge song?

in my opinion, this song is the best out of both HTDAAB and ATYCLB, almost no contest. this song has such a big sound, and its amazing. So why on earth wasn't it a single?

comments welcomed.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:01 PM
Well, at first I was wowed by the intro. It was one of the first tracks I listened to off HTDAAB, and it just had a great atmospheric, melodic intro.

As soon as it gets to the "freedom" part, though, it just kind of slumps down into paint-by-numbers U2.

That's just my thoughts, but I think a lot of people share the same opinion.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:01 PM
Why wasn't Miracle Drug a huge song? Good question. My personal opinion is that it starts off with a lovely, yearning guitar sequence that leads to a rather anti-climactic song overall. For me it never quite takes flight, although the lyrical direction is laudable and thought-provoking.

When I heard this song live, I have to say that I appreciated it more, especially with a lengthened intro that allowed Bono to dedicate it to health professionals everywhere. But overall I personally think it's one of the weaker songs on HTDAAB - although the band obviously valued it enough to work it into the setlist, I'd be surprised to see it return again on any future tours.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #4
War Child

Local Time: 06:01 PM
meh...
Old 10-24-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Personally Miracle Drug is one of my all time favorite songs.

I think the reason why it 'failed' success wise is because the song is a wee bit poppy at times. Which pretty much contradicts what I said about it being one of my all time favorites because I hate anything pop. (Except for 'Pop'.)

I agree that the live version helped me to appreciate the song more. Maybe because Edge sings lead in the song? With the exception of Numb, U2 songs don't have much success with Edge in the lead. I realize of course that he only sang in one section, but still, it's really the only thing I can think of - too poppy, and has the Edge curse.

Then again, I'm probably way off too. Just my $0.02.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It's because it's a boring song. In fact, I'd say that it's not poppy enough, nor is it interesting/non-poppy enough. It's not exciting until 2/3 through the song.

Lyrically, it doesn't wow me at all. The overall message says something, but there's no magic in most of the lines or phrases on their own---too many generic lines like "the songs are in your eyes," etc. Plus, I think any song that talks about science and medicine is doomed from the start.

All that said, it's not that it's a bad song. It just doesn't have any electricity to it. I usually start off thinking about skipping it, then end up singing with it, then at the end thinking it's not as bad as I thought. It's kind of like reading The Fellowship of the Ring---you have to get through a lot of tediousness before you can enjoy it and think it's worthwhile.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Fan101

I agree that the live version helped me to appreciate the song more. Maybe because Edge sings lead in the song? With the exception of Numb, U2 songs don't have much success with Edge in the lead. I realize of course that he only sang in one section, but still, it's really the only thing I can think of - too poppy, and has the Edge curse.
Edge sings the same bit in the studio version, too.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Utoo

Edge sings the same bit in the studio version, too.
Haha. I know this. My wording in my previous post was confusing. I had two thoughts running through my head and I merged them as one

My first point was the live version helped me to appreciate the song more.

My second point was maybe because the song wasn't a success was because of Edge singing lead.

Combining both in one paragraph I know makes it seem like I'm implying something else.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #9
The Male

Local Time: 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Morgoth321
that leads to a rather anti-climactic song overall. For me it never quite takes flight
I disagree. The Edge solo + verse does that for me every time.

I find the rest to be a tad mundane.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
Refugee

I personally love the song, being a nurse made me love it even more. I think it's really good.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:11 PM   #11
The Fly

It's actually Coldplay by numbers, performed by U2, it's ok, which just isn't good enough.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
Blue Crack Distributor

freedom tastes like cheerios and baby poop.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:31 PM   #13
The Fly

I just find Miracle Drug to be really boring and bland. U2 on cruise control. Its pretty much skipped every time on my cd player, I just cant get into it I dont know why.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I think Miracle Drug is an example of how the band need to work harder at song placement again. Having Miracle Drug second pretty much killed HTDAAB for a few friends, the same way having Stuck second killed ATYCLB for (mainly the same) friends.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

I like Miracle Drug well enough, but it doesn't take off until after the solo break and Edge's vocal bit. From that part to the end, it's a much better song.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Miracle Drug failed where Original of the Species succeeded. It lacked the power.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:10 PM   #17
War Child

because the song is soft and lame
Old 10-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

A couple things: I agree with the song placement thing. I personally don't mind it at #2, because I love the song. But it probably should have been All Because of You following Vertigo for the 1-2 punch.

The other thing is that I think it really would have benefitted from a video. To me, Edge's solo and lead vocal on that verus IS the big draw to this song, and they should have shown him on camera singing his part to sell that very aspect. If you don't know it's him singing (and you could EASILY mistake it for Bono), the whole effect of Edge handing it over to Bono, who then takes it into the stratosphere, is lost. But that moment, as Edge says "...you took me in" with Bono taking over on his final "the songs are in your eyes", it's just a great snapshot of the unity and brotherhood of the band.

As it as said above, the lyrics are weak, despite the interesting idea behind the song. But not any worse than the high school poetry of With Or Without You. It wasn't the reason this didn't hit with the public.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 07:01 PM
Nope, folks, this is a beautiful tune, even a huge one – at least for, what U2 have achieved in the '00s. Since ATYCLB I do have a slight (big?) problem with the way of song writing, my very favourite band approaches.
I read a thousand times (and it has been discussed here a zillion times, too), that Bono has wanted since then to say words more straightforward, more personal, more direct.
In other words: He left behind, his former more poetical, lyrical and intellectual way of songwriting, In other word: Instead of (longer?) periods to elaborate a song with words, he choses (shorter?) periods to put words together for songs.
Maybe it is because he really wants it that way, maybe he has lost interest in being one of the best rock poets on earth (which he definetly was), maybe he has lost the will to spend so much time on single tunes – whatever the reason is.
A lot of especially not that deeply rooted fans may ask: "So what?" But I do feel really sorry about this lack of really great song lyrics. Much more, because I do know Bono was capable of writing that way.
Take the lyrics of fine tunes like "Beautiful Day", "Walk On" or the mentioned "Miracle Drug" – and compare them with the lyrical (and thus also musical) landscapes of "The Unforgettable Fire", "One Tree Hill" or even "If You Wear That Velvet Dress". Bigger a difference couldn't be. I wish, Bono the poet would return ...
Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

It wasn't a huge song because it wasn't released as a single.