Why wasn't Bullet The Blue Sky included in the first Best Of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peter

War Child
I don't know if this question was asked before, but I just wanna know why this song didn't make it to the first Best Of CD. They play it every time and it has an obvious message in it. It's one of my favourites live.

Because it's a hidden track that is found if you take out your Best Of cd and replace it with Joshua Tree, you then spin around 3 times then put on track 4, and there you go.

Uhm, but really, I don't know.

david said:
Because it's a hidden track that is found if you take out your Best Of cd and replace it with Joshua Tree, you then spin around 3 times then put on track 4, and there you go.

While it was a smart ass comment......it was very creative:up: :evil:

I remember reading that Edge initially intended to place live versions of "Bad" and "Bullet the Blue Sky" on the compilation, but I guess they wimped out for some reason or another. An all-live Best Of would've been a fine idea.

Classics that are sorely missing from the first Best Of:

Gloria
A Celebration
Two Hearts Beat As One
A Sort of Homecoming
Bullet the Blue Sky

Classics that are sorely missing from the second Best Of:

The Fly
Lemon

I guess you can only put so many songs on a CD, ya know? If BTBS had been on there, another song would have been axed, and everybody would be asking why that song wasn't on there.

When a band has so much great material, some stuff is gonna be left behind.

I think I read an article about the time that Best Of was released that quoted Edge as saying that he didn't think the studio version of BTBS merited being on the Best Of. He much preferred the live versions of the tune.

Bonochick said:
I guess you can only put so many songs on a CD, ya know? If BTBS had been on there, another song would have been axed, and everybody would be asking why that song wasn't on there.

When a band has so much great material, some stuff is gonna be left behind.

There's enough room for another two songs. More if you take off a Rattle and Hum track or two (and I like Rattle and Hum, but the inclusion of four tracks at the end make the collection very awkward, especially with only one antebellum song present...it's criminal that "Gloria" and "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" were absent).

Last edited:
FFFfffFFFfffFFFfffFFFfffFFFfffFFFfffFFFfffFFF

Well , Bullet The Blue Sky , was never a commercial hit , it's a real rock song with hard lyrics , it's not a tune for cheesy compilation like first " best of " which is done for little puppies where BAD , Sweetest Thing , Without You ( these are all great songs , they 're just a little bit light and they all were big solid hits ) .

The same is with " best of numero 2 " , it's all about sales and airplay . :censored: :evil: :madspit: :madspit:

I've noticed that you prefer uncontrolled rambling, pinkfloyd
but saying that Bad and With or Without You are "a bit lite" is somewhat on the insane side even for you

Best of 1980 - 1990

1. Pride (In the Name of Love) (3:48)
2. New Year's Day (4:17)
3. With or Without You (4:55)
4. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (4:38)
5. Sunday Bloody Sunday (4:40)
6. Bad (5:50)
7. Where the Streets Have No Name (4:35)
8. I Will Follow (3:36)
9. The Unforgettable Fire (4:53)
10. Sweetest Thing (The Single Mix) (3:00)
11. Desire (2:59)
12. When Love Comes to Town (4:17)
13. Angel of Harlem (3:49)
14. All I Want is You (6:31)
15. October (2:20) - part of All I Want is You - starts at 2:20 before the end of the track.

SUBTRACT (28 minutes left over)
On a 80 minute CDR there is 14 minutes left to begin with
Sweetest Thing (The Single Mix) (3:00)
Approximately the last 2 minutes of violins of All I Want is You
Remove 1 minute of silence between All I Want Is You and October
Angel of Harlem (3:49)
When Love Comes to Town (4:17)

ADD (27 minutes)
One Tree Hill (5:23) available on Japanese Release and 12" Vinyl Only.
Running To Stand Still(4:18)
Heartland (5:02)
Drowning Man (3:51)
Gloria (4:13)
Out Of Control (4:13)

I have read that many fans have felt that Rattle And Hum was over represented on the Best Of 80s and I agree particularly when it was at the expense of their earlier work. U2 could argue that early 80s work is significantly inferior musically lyrically and vocally to the later 80?s work. That is true but I would advocate that there is still some very good tunes and it also demonstrates their artistic growth. At the same time I am not over representing their early 80s work. U2 already decided to include One Tree Hill on it though only on the Japanese release ! Running To Stand Still is gorgeous song and a big favourite among U2 fans. I believe Heartland is superior to When Love Comes To Town and Angel Of Harlem. I can see U2 arguing that the ?atmosphere? of Heartland is similar to the song The Unforgettable Fire and the ?emotion? of One Tree Hill. But hey that?s what they were excellent at doing in the 80s. And I can see U2 arguing that When Love Comes To Town and Angel Of Harlem demonstrates better their artistic versatility and the experiment with ?American musical influences.? But we have the blues-rock of Desire and the country feel of All I Want Is You to represent that. Drowning Man is a hidden gem like Heartland. Never released as a single and never performed live. With it?s double interpretation of a faith and romantic song I thought it would flow well between I Still Haven?t Found and All I Want Is You. Gloria is clearly a faith song and sure U2 in the late 80s and especially during the 90s ? as Bono said in Flanagan?s Bible - is more into ?drawing the fish in the sand? approach to proclaiming their faith. However - their days of a more explicit revelation of their spirituality was a part of their history. Nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed by. Gloria is a very good rocker. Out Of Control is lots of fun ? lots of energy ? a very good rocker.
(Sweetest Thing (The Single Mix) was used to promote the album so it?s not necessary or is it appropriate. One could even argue that Angel of Harlem and When Love Comes to Town which were ?hits? were included to promote the album to casual U2 fans and non-fans.)

Best of 1980 - 1990 for U2 Fans

1. Pride (In the Name of Love) (3:48)
2. New Year's Day (4:17)
3. With or Without You (4:55)
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday (4:40)
5. Bad (5:50)
6. Where the Streets Have No Name (4:35)
7. I Will Follow (3:36)
8. The Unforgettable Fire (4:53)
9. Heartland (5:02)
10. One Tree Hill (5:23)
11. Running To Stand Still(4:18)
12. Out Of Control (4:13)
13. Desire (2:59)
14. Gloria (4:13)
15. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (4:38)
16. Drowning Man (3:51)
17. All I Want is You (4:12) AIWIY CD Single or (4:34)*
18. October (2:20)
Approx. time: 79 minutes
*I haven?t heard All I Want Is You (Short) (4:12) AIWIY CD Single. I hope it doesn?t chop off a lot of The Edge?s glorious guitar solo at the end.

Layton said:
I think I read an article about the time that Best Of was released that quoted Edge as saying that he didn't think the studio version of BTBS merited being on the Best Of. He much preferred the live versions of the tune.

I would agree with the Edge that this song was much better as a live version. What I wouldnt give to have it included on a best of live tracks album.......:p
I can dream at least.....

I agree with others Bullet is dying to be included on a Best Of Live. How about a Bullet EP - 1. R&H (ABC news - Hillstreet Blues - The God I believe in is not short of cash Mr.) 2. 93 Wembly 2 (Fuck Yous at the end) 3. PopMart (Hasta La Vista Baby CD) 4. Elevation Tour (Boston DVD - Mark Champan) ?

Except with the 1989/12/31 performance of "Bullet" instead of the Rattle and Hum version.

U2Soar said:
I agree with others Bullet is dying to be included on a Best Of Live. How about a Bullet EP - 1. R&H (ABC news - Hillstreet Blues - The God I believe in is not short of cash Mr.) 2. 93 Wembly 2 (Fuck Yous at the end) 3. PopMart (Hasta La Vista Baby CD) 4. Elevation Tour (Boston DVD - Mark Champan) ?

How about adding a "One" live from Sarejvo, I lovvvvveeeee that version....:p

david said:

Uhm, but really, I don't know.

:lmao: Maybe I'm just really tired, but that's brilliant!

"When Love Comes to Town" was a nearly Top 40 hit and was nominated for a Grammy. "Angel of Harlem" was a BIG hit. If anything, I'd choose these over "All I Want Is You" which I consider to be on the weaker half of the new songs from R+H. However, it's a great closer and works well on the Best Of.

The real problem is that there's A LOT of blank space on the first Best Of. The band needed to put at least one more JT song on there so it could catch up with R+H at least. R+H was their second most popular album of the decade, so I don't mind it having more songs than the rest of the material, but more than JT? That's criminal.

For me, the first Best Of was a good choice of song selection and such at first, but it's just kind of sad how the band's latest compilation has two more tracks even though the middle albums (Zooropa, OST1, Pop) had rather low sales when compared to the rest of the band's catalog. Even more annoying when the U.K. Best Of 1990-2000 will have FIVE songs from Achtung Baby when the first Best Of only had THREE from JT.......argh.......

Elvis Presley said:

How about adding a "One" live from Sarejvo, I lovvvvveeeee that version....:p

How about Miss Sarajevo from the same gig , what a great perfomance that was

" this ...song ...we never did before ( cracks ) as the ..euuuh band ..." , talking about fucked-ups :censored: :censored: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom