Why U2 is #1 for me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I've been away over the weekend, and as the easter weekend wore on, I started to get a bit more depressed. By Sunday night I was really down in the dumps. Then I got a phone call from a girl, and we got to talking. Sadly my phone cut out, cos of the bad reception, and her number was on private. Too stupid to ask for her name as well. So that all went down the drain, and by now I was feeling pretty damn shithouse. I drowned my sorrows a bit, then went to bed when I was less wound up.

The next day I was still pretty shit, so I got my iPod. Stay came into my head, so I put Stay on.

And it helped bring me out of my funk. And this is why U2 is the #1 band for me. As much as I love The Who, David Bowie, Pink Floyd and a few other bands and artists, none of them have this certain 'thing' that U2's music has. People put shit on U2, saying the music is boring, and nothing special at all, and put shit on me for liking them. Sometimes I can see their points. But no other music I've heard has this undefinable quality U2's music does. U2 has a song for every occasion, every feeling.

But enough now of the girly outpourings and back to Stay (Faraway, So Close!). Feeling shithouse was how I 'discovered' Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of. When I say 'discovered' I mean that in the past I've thought the song was good, even great, but nothing beyond that. That's how I felt about Stay. I didn't see what everyone else thought was so brilliant about it. But now you can add Stay to the short list. The vocals are terrific, and it also has a great bass line.

So what song(s) do this for you? Or am I just talking a whole load of absolute shit? Discuss.

Also, go do yourselves a favour and listen to Under a Blood Red Sky. It has some fantastic performances.

Stay is a beautiful song. It's definitely up in my top 2. I love it Studio, Electric Live, Acoustic live, I just love it.

I think that and City Of Blinding Lights has the same effect on me. U2 are the best band at cheering me up thats for sure.

COBL_04 said:

Also, go do yourselves a favour and listen to Under a Blood Red Sky. It has some fantastic performances.

That's what I grabbed on the way out the door this morning on my way to work and listened to in my car. It's fantastic.

Listening to almost any U2 always can make me feel better, and on a grander scale (cheesy/cliche yesIknow) U2 influenced a positive change in my life a few years ago too.

Last edited:
Just about all of U2's music has this effect. Really, although there are many other excellent songs and bands out there, the only non-U2 song that does this to me is Imitation of Life by R.E.M... although sometimes it just makes me feel sugar-high. :wink:

Chill Mike D said:
That's what I was curious about too. Are you too young to remember *69?

What is that??? Seriously if there's a way I can get the number someone let me know please lol.

pepokiss theres a story behind it, bottom line is being blind drunk is not always beneficial.

Many, many U2 songs do this for me...one that comes to mind is that the "I remember..." verse in Ultraviolet....if we're talking strictly studio then I guess to a lesser degree on the album (the album version is poorly mixed and isn't as spectacular) ...but during the Zoo TV Washington 1992 performance of this song....simply epic

The only other artist that I can think of right now is R.E.M.- songs like "Half a World Away", "You Are the Everything", "[Untitled]", and "World Leader Pretend"

oh and some Clapton songs maybe...:hmm:

Last edited:
How extraordinary, I was thinking, that you got talkin' with a lass and didn't know who she was yet for some reason she called you, and then you said that the reason was intoxication, and everything made perfect sense.

U2 is not only spirit-lifting music, but also a good cure for a hangover. What hurts is when you are either hungover or depressed, and you've got no access to U2 music and all you hear is ghastly music like Kiss or Nickleback everywhere you go....depresses me even more and although I might already have the booze outta my system, I'm still rushing to the toilet to chuck....

I can totally relate to that. U2's music bring out all kinds of emotions for me and hearing their songs always feels like my life is just taking a turn to the positive. It gives me hope and somehow, as strange as this may sound to some people, I have the feeling that I'm not alone when I listen to their music. It's like someone is always there and it's a very comforting feeling.

last unicorn said:
I can totally relate to that. U2's music bring out all kinds of emotions for me and hearing their songs always feels like my life is just taking a turn to the positive. It gives me hope and somehow, as strange as this may sound to some people, I have the feeling that I'm not alone when I listen to their music. It's like someone is always there and it's a very comforting feeling.

Spot on :up:

last unicorn said:
It gives me hope and somehow, as strange as this may sound to some people, I have the feeling that I'm not alone when I listen to their music. It's like someone is always there and it's a very comforting feeling.

For me, the music of U2 feels like home. Not in a nostalgic sense or in a "house doesn't make a home" kind of way, but in the homely sense that it is the music that is closest to me, the most familiar to me....like a partner of sorts maybe.

my favorite band ever, by far. i love so many other bands and i can say that bands like led zeppelin are musically better than u2, same with floyd, but u2 are always #1 for me.

they do soemthing for me emotioanlly no other band will ever do (i know cheesy...)

intedomine said:

For me, the music of U2 feels like home. Not in a nostalgic sense or in a "house doesn't make a home" kind of way, but in the homely sense that it is the music that is closest to me, the most familiar to me....like a partner of sorts maybe.

Same for me. I associate U2's music also with "home".

I completely agree. There's something about U2 that no other band has ever had. Their music, as lame it sounds, just speaks to the human condition like nothing else. There's always a song that's there to comfort me when I'm upset, to motivate me when I want to do something and it's just raw, real, and honest. No other band will ever be able to change the way I look at things like U2 has, and I will always be greatful.:love:

last unicorn said:

:hi5: That's exaclty what I was thinking. U2's music has certain way of making one feel like they are not alone. I think there is a song for just about any occasion and any feelings we may have. It's an awe inspiring feeling when you hear that perfect song at that perfect moment.

When I'm down I like to listen to Pop outside in the back of my truck at night. It really centers me and it gets me in a better mood.

Yeah, what they said!

"Streets" never fails to lift me up, no matter how crappy or down I feel.

The radio station I listen to on-line while I'm at work just started playing "Two Hearts Beat As One"--haven't heard that for ages!

gherman said:
For some reason So Cruel does it for me. It just bleeds.

:yes:

Sometimes the song aggravates me, but at the right time, it's superb. Probably why it's lower down for me in order of the songs on AB, because it can be aggravating.

I actually 'find out' alot of u2 songs by listening to them on accident on the computer. Thats what happened to the joshua tree, i knew streets i still havn't found but they were so hyped and loved that i didn't think they were all that special. Then one sunny summer day i was doing something on my comp and one tree hill comes on, at first it sounds a bit boring but then after about 2 minutes into it, i realized why the album was so good, songs i didn't even listen to like 'exit' (because i get bored quickly so if a song doesn't take off in a 5 seconds i skip it) and finally realized exit. Also happened with the song zooropa, the first 4 minutes are electronic sounds with bono talking about slogans and i usually switched it around there thinking the song wouldn't go much further than that, and then i heard "and i have no compass" and i'm like whoaaa a whole new song!

But yeah, thats probably just me since i can't force myself to listen to a complete album... (since i got all their albums in a week) i had so much to listen to i didn't know where to start. But very different from your experience about actually listening to the whole song and then finding a whole new meaning for it.

jd;fkdasfdj

And i ramble on.....

i felt there was a whole in me

giggity

and i was tryin' to fill that whole with all kinds of things

giggity

i just have to sit back and be punished by the penal system...

oh god!!

Kite live from Syndey from the WITS single. when times are hard, i play this, and it soothes me. especially the solo towards the end.

Back
Top Bottom