Why The Hell Can't U2 Do This....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
http://stores.allaccesstoday.com/p-903-live-exile-in-america-tour-usb-wristbands.aspx

C'mon. This is such an awesome idea (A Bit costly, but theres easy ways you could probably trade shows)

I know Pearl Jam and Tori Amos do very similar things to this......why can't one of the biggest bands of the last 25+ years do this as well?

Bloody perfectionists :wink:

I guess if it can't be overproduced, edited like shit its not good enough :wink:

But seriously?...U2 would make a further killing out of this.

The really awesome thing is, fan club members (well this is what my mum said, cause she is a matchbox fan club member) that they can pick them up after the concert for free!....I mean Seriously U2 think they are up and ahead of the pack of technology.....think again guys.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit crucifying U2 for something I'm sure they didn't have access to on the last tour...after all it was 3 years ago and technology changes almost overnight. Maybe they'll consider it for the next tour. I'm sure they're aware of what's available...give them a chance :wink:

And by the time they tour there will probably be something even better available.

It is cool though :yes:

Yeah you're right. I'm just being critical of the band and how it releases is music.

Bono was talking a bit about this and there were rumors a plenty about them doing a similar deal with iTunes for the last tour.

I think I just need a new album, like the rest of interference.

I guess more and more bands are doing it, and U2 will come with some wisbang awesome idea to do it eventually.

Acutally besides the USB part, the tecnology is there, and U2/PM hinted at iTunes downloads of shows, etc...in the past.

I wish they would do what PJ does, MP3s/FLACs/CDs after the show. The MP3s/FLACs might be available a day or so after the show and the CD's a few weeks later.

I hope U2 have an idea to do something like this for their next tour. I don't grab every show, but I would purchase close to a 3rd of their shows in some manner like this. Could you imagine ONE wristbands loaded with u2 concerts. U2 might not need the money, but they could certainly lend it to worthy causes in this fashion.

i saw the Pixies in 2004 on numerous occasions across the UK and you could download shows immediately afterwards on mp3, or send off for a CD if you wanted artwork and uncompressed music, this usually took a few weeks.

I believe the band employed a company called DiscLive(?) to oversee this, it wasn't without problems, but still worked really well in my experience. I'd love to see U2 do something like this, financially it must be worth it; plus hardcore fans would be ecstatic, and even the casual fan would probably like a souvenir.

I honestly believe that eventually this will become the norm in live music, almost like buying a t-shirt or programme...

$35 for a concert you just paid to go see? Sounds right up McGuinness's alley.

I'd be willing to throw in $15. But $35 (especially for Matchbox 20???) is pushing it. But I guess bands have to figure out ways to start making some money again.

Snippeting within live songs may prevent this from happening, as original artists might want a cut of any sales.....

bono_man2002 said:
http://stores.allaccesstoday.com/p-903-live-exile-in-america-tour-usb-wristbands.aspx

C'mon. This is such an awesome idea (A Bit costly, but theres easy ways you could probably trade shows)

I know Pearl Jam and Tori Amos do very similar things to this......why can't one of the biggest bands of the last 25+ years do this as well?

Bloody perfectionists :wink:

I guess if it can't be overproduced, edited like shit its not good enough :wink:

But seriously?...U2 would make a further killing out of this.

The really awesome thing is, fan club members (well this is what my mum said, cause she is a matchbox fan club member) that they can pick them up after the concert for free!....I mean Seriously U2 think they are up and ahead of the pack of technology.....think again guys.

While your comments are admittedy a bit harsh, I love the idea and thanks for bringing it up! :yes:

I've mentioned before that since:
  • U2 doesn't care that fans record their shows;
  • U2 prefer to only sell DVD's (and fans will buy those even if they have the bootleg show);
  • Pearl Jam and other artists have made numerous live shows available ;.
  • fans would love to buy a copy of the show they just attended (and it's a far better keepsake than the traditional tour T-shirt);
  • U2 could make a fortune off of this
that U2 should sell far more of their concerts.

Yes, U2 are perfectionists, but that's not the point of these releases. Have the DVD for their "perfectionist" side, but sell these soundboard releases. On the last tour, we were able to download shows sometimes mere hours after the concert ended! In other words, fans will always find a way to record the concert. So why not make some $$ and have a soundboard recording of the concert? There'll still be boots made, but with soundboard recordings, fans will be far happier and collectors will be living in nirvana! For a band that is famed for their live concerts, U2 have not released that much live material.

So please take advantage of today's technology and do this (or something similar to it). As I wrote, fans will record and release the concerts online anway - so may as well make some $$ from either these USB wristbands (which are not only great souvenirs, but can be used for storing other data once the songs are downloaded) or use iTunes more.

Re: Re: Why The Hell Can't U2 Do This....

pacemaker said:
$35 for a concert you just paid to go see? Sounds right up McGuinness's alley.

I'd be willing to throw in $15. But $35 (especially for Matchbox 20???) is pushing it. But I guess bands have to figure out ways to start making some money again.

I think $35 for a 2 CD SBD set of the actual show I saw, is a better deal than $35 for a tshirt that probably cost $2.00 to make...

doctorwho said:

While your comments are admittedy a bit harsh, I love the idea and thanks for bringing it up! :yes:

I've mentioned before that since:
  • U2 doesn't care that fans record their shows;
  • U2 prefer to only sell DVD's (and fans will buy those even if they have the bootleg show);
  • Pearl Jam and other artists have made numerous live shows available ;.
  • fans would love to buy a copy of the show they just attended (and it's a far better keepsake than the traditional tour T-shirt);
  • U2 could make a fortune off of this
that U2 should sell far more of their concerts.

Yes, U2 are perfectionists, but that's not the point of these releases. Have the DVD for their "perfectionist" side, but sell these soundboard releases. On the last tour, we were able to download shows sometimes mere hours after the concert ended! In other words, fans will always find a way to record the concert. So why not make some $$ and have a soundboard recording of the concert? There'll still be boots made, but with soundboard recordings, fans will be far happier and collectors will be living in nirvana! For a band that is famed for their live concerts, U2 have not released that much live material.

So please take advantage of today's technology and do this (or something similar to it). As I wrote, fans will record and release the concerts online anway - so may as well make some $$ from either these USB wristbands (which are not only great souvenirs, but can be used for storing other data once the songs are downloaded) or use iTunes more.

I've taped a few bands that did the live CD thing (Pixies, Who, Duran Duran...) I didn't bother to even transfer any of them since I was getting a SBD copy...The Duran Duran and Who ones where >$30 and the Pixies (MP3 only) was $12...

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Why The Hell Can't U2 Do This....

Chrisedge said:
I think $35 for a 2 CD SBD set of the actual show I saw, is a better deal than $35 for a tshirt that probably cost $2.00 to make...

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Here's the thing... U2 talk about wanting to use new technology, explore new ideas etc... but under the stewardship of Paul McGuiness they won't do this themselves by way of taking a risk, putting in their own money and time, and generally leading the way. Instead they play will play it safe and look for a big corporate to sign up with and then pass the whole lot over to the big corporate. In playing it this way they will never be at the forefront. So in this sense they aren't leading edge at all. Their talk is leading edge but when it comes to actually doing something they are too risk averse.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Why The Hell Can't U2 Do This....

Chrisedge said:

Best comment in this thread. We disagree on a lot but when we agree its usually 100%. :up:

Oh, and U2 could have easily done at least live CD's of each show and/or downloads on the last tour. They just chose not to. I have always said soundboards of every show would be a dream come true to me personally. Although there are people on another board I'm familiar with that think soundboards stink. :shrug:

AndrewCowley said:
Here's the thing... U2 talk about wanting to use new technology, explore new ideas etc... but under the stewardship of Paul McGuiness they won't do this themselves by way of taking a risk, putting in their own money and time, and generally leading the way.

:hmm: Steering away from the releasing live concerts for a moment, I think U2 just did this with their whole U2:3D project. They took a risk, put their money and time in and created the first live 3D movie. So I think your hypothesis doesn't hold for all their activities.

That said, it would be nice if U2 would release more live concerts.
:)

Back
Top Bottom