Why POPMart was U2's Best Tour....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Palace_Hero said:
Yep I was there, in the disabled section (my Dad's friend is in a wheelchair).

I remember it vaguely, but the experience itself will never leave me.

Plus with today's extensive setlist histories compiled on the web, I can look back and realise I will die having heard Bad live.

Yeah it was a so fucking loud, the loudest thing I have ever heard in my life, it made my chest wobble.
I couldn't hear my brother talk at all, so many times I would just give up trying to hear what he said.
My one regret of the evening was losing my voice early on, I left my wallet in the car at the Belmont racecourse so was not able to by water, and my voice suffered. I managed to sing ONE at the end.

I hope ya don't mind but I added you to the buddy list option here cause your from Perth

Cheers Mate

Zoo TV was like seeing the juggernaut coming towards you

Popmart was like getting run over

Hey Khanada, why don't you close this one too! And by the way I emailed you over an hour ago and you didn't respond! And that last thread you shut down wasn't a spin-off it was a protest. You are being more than unfare! And you haven't answered my question.
I think being a moderator has gone to your head. Sicy or HelloAngel, please intervene.

salim117 said:
Hey Khanada, why don't you close this one too! And by the way I emailed you over an hour ago and you didn't respond! And that last thread you shut down wasn't a spin-off it was a protest. You are being more than unfare! And you haven't answered my question.
I think being a moderator has gone to your head. Sicy or HelloAngel, please intervene.
umm, seriously what is your problem? i never received your e-mail, sorry. if i had i would've replied to it.

to answer your question, i don't know how you could possibly think the thread was NOT about pop. the word "pop" is in the title! i understood the point of the post and thought you had valid points really, but we can't have multiple threads on the same topic. granted we could have one about pop the album and another about pop the tour, but to have two threads about the album pop is one too many. you may not agree with this but i'm sorry, it's forum rules.

I saw the Sydney Popmart and it was simply amazing. I was in the very front row, right in the corner where the ramp meets the stage, so I didn't get much of what was going on on screen (like sitting with your face an inch from the tv) but it was awesome being that close to something so huge.

My favourite memory of it was actually driving past the stadium the day before on my way to pick up a friend from the airport. Sticking out over the top of the roof of the stadium - the tip of the arch.

Of course the end of that show will never be topped. That day in Sydney was fucking hot, ridiculously hot. It had rained earlier in the night, but cleared up by the time the concert started. The concert blasts away without a drop of rain..... and then, only 3 months after Michael Hutchence died, in his hometown, the city where he died as well, with his family, friends and INXS members in the crowd, Bono kicks into MLK alone right out at the end of the ramp, with those 'Warhol' shots of Hutchence on the big screen. "And if the thunderclouds......"

It starts to pour again. Absolutely bucket down, and there's lightning blasting away over the top of the stadium. Bono is on his knees at the end of the ramp in the rain, yelling something, not into the microphone. MLK makes it's way into One. Bono calls out for all the lights to be turned off in the stadium. All of them. The Popmart screen shuts down completely. There aren't even spotlights on the band members. Complete darkness in a massive football stadium except for lighters, the Exit signs over the doors and the lightning right above. A perfect moment. It stays dark as U2 fade from One into only a few lines of Wake Up Dead Man. The lights never return and U2 slide off stage and away as INXS' "Never Tear Us Apart" kicks in over the PA. 50,000 people sing along. The full 'house lights' come back up halfway through the song and no-one moves, everyone continues to sing along until the song is done. And I tell you, not a dry eye in the house.

Oh, and for most of the night Helena Christensen was standing right in front of me :drool: Best. Night. Ever.

Earnie Shavers said:
And I tell you, not a dry eye in the house.

That's cos we were fuckin' SOAKED! :wink: Just joking. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen when seeing a concert. I had seats up in the stands but we ran onto the field when U2 came on. It was worth getting drenched to see that!

Popmart, few pluses:

+played in parts of the world they never played before

+Miami-Bullet-Please-Streets, enough said

few minuses

-never saw it, not even on tv, but i have audio of Leeds popmart:drool: , that kinda saves the day

Originally posted by PopMart fans worldwide

Miami-Bullet

I've just remixed the Miami PopMart 14-11-97 soundboard recording version of Miami into Bullet so all you PopMart fans check the Music On The Internet forum in a couple of minutes.

I don't think Popmart has held up well, even though I had a blast at the Madison, WI concert I saw.

I was watching the Mexico City concert last weekend, and found myself getting bored. I haven't yet fully formed my argument for all of this, so I can't really put my finger on why it doesn't work for me.

However, I have really enjoyed listening to the bootlegs from some of the concerts (Sarajevo, Santiago), so there's something there. Maybe it holds up musically better than visually.

Two things I did NOT like, musically:

"I Will Follow" dragged in a horrible way. Plus, they chopped it.

"If You Wear That Velvet Dress" did not work in a live setting. While Edge's guitar lead-in was pretty cool, it lost all its sexiness and subtelty from the studio version. Bono sang the whole thing in his normal range (instead of that awesome low range he uses in album version), and that killed it.

But Pop Muzik/Mofo was AWESOME as an introduction, and I loved Please into Streets.

I cant agree more. I absolutely love POP and the POP mart tour. For me it was a different Bono. Shaved head, hooded sweatshirt, cocky in your face bono. I loved the whole show. The screens were amazing. Although I think the lemon was a bit over the top, i love it for the same reasons. I find myself watching the mexico city video more than the slane dvd. And the slane show is amazing.

SeattleVertigo said:
I saw Popmart in the Seattle Kingdome. Awful acoustics, and I thought the show was too much spectacle, not enough focus on the music.

Saw Elevation in Tacoma 2001 and thought it was much, much better.

I was at both of those gigs. I wouldn't say that Elevation was MUCH better, but it was better.
Funny thing about PopMart--I was at two of the shows that everyone says were the best of the U.S. shows-- PopMart Seattle and the two Boston gigs--and I wasn't that impressed. Good shows but not remotely comparable to the incredible ZooTV gigs or even Elevation. PopMart was definetly a letdown after ZooTV just as Pop was a letdown after AB and Zooropa.
They were still great though.

p.s.- The Lemon was a test--if you liked it you failed the test.
It was a moderately funny, moderately ironic gag that worked ONCE. On opening night. It got progressively less funny and less ironic with each passing shows. By the time I saw the first Boston gig people were openly rolling their eyes at the stupidity of it all.

Hawkmoon04 said:
I cant agree more. I absolutely love POP and the POP mart tour. For me it was a different Bono. Shaved head...

Bono with the buzz cut looked really cool. Bono with the bald head was alarming.

Bono should chop the mullett off and go with the buzz cut again.
Hi PLEBA!

I admit ... I HATED Bono's look. Actually, I hated all their looks. Well, okay, Larry didn't look much different. But it was like they were playing dress-up and doing this schtick, and looked really uncomfortable.

That's the feeling I had watching the Mexico show: this wasn't my band.

On Elevation and Vertigo, there's talk of the band feeling tense when they know the show's being filmed. Does anyone know if that was the case for the Popmart Mexico show as well? I'd love to see another Popmart show to see if it feels any different.

I remember 'cruisin' the strip', listening to a Pop boot, before U2's show in Vegas on the last tour and realizing that I prefer the Pop set list to the Elevation one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom