Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like it when songs have names that aren't included in the lyrics, big deal.

Honestly people, lets be realistic about how the radio and record industry works!! The song will succeed or fail based on the promotion for it by the label as well as how much money is somehow finding its way into radio staion program director's hands. If alot of money is spent on promotion....OOTS will be atleast moderately successfull at radio in the USA. Somehow, I think Interscope will not promote the single that much because they view the Bomb as having sold as much as its going to in the USA...they would only push the song hard if they believe it would result in alot more sales....this explains the fate of COBL on radio in the USA.

From @U2:

AN ORIGINAL 'ORIGINAL' HITS RADIO
November 10, 2005

"Original of the Species" arrived at U.S. radio stations today as the 5th single from HTDAAB. It's a 1-track CD labeled "single version," which clocks in at 4:29 -- about 10 seconds shorter than the album version. The song itself is different than the album version -- more strings, more guitar from Edge, and just generally louder and maybe "edgier" (bad pun). The liner notes indicate that strings were recorded at Wisseloord Studios, Hilversum, Holland (while the band was on tour in Holland in July).

Collectors will want to know that the single comes in a standard jewel case with catalog # INTR11595-2.

1035.jpg

the song will be picked up by radio as a result of the ipod commercial...

honestly, if the labels aren't willing to promote (and u2 isn't either... they never played COBL on any tv appearrances, Letterman, COnan, Today, etc)

the ipod commercial thing seems to be the only real way to get U2 attention to the masses (i.e. the "not fans")

look at vertigo

which video do people honestly think of when they hear the song, the desert one or the ipod one???

i have already heard a bunch of people ask me "what is that new U2 song on tv" as a result of the OOTS commercials

Axver said:

No. Wrong attitude, wrong sound. Even if they're a UF-era U2 ripoff, it's not as if they're making Indian Summer Sky or Wire.

To digress briefly, how did Wire ever get lost in the shuffle? Is their a better base line in their catalog?

Can we bring this one back into the set and let Adam do his thing...

lov12113 said:
Honestly people, lets be realistic about how the radio and record industry works!! The song will succeed or fail based on the promotion for it by the label as well as how much money is somehow finding its way into radio staion program director's hands. If alot of money is spent on promotion....OOTS will be atleast moderately successfull at radio in the USA. Somehow, I think Interscope will not promote the single that much because they view the Bomb as having sold as much as its going to in the USA...they would only push the song hard if they believe it would result in alot more sales....this explains the fate of COBL on radio in the USA.

Agreed. The commercial success will depend on how much money they sink into a marketing campaign. The song is brilliant, whether or not the title is in the lyric is irrelevant. This is strictly a case of promotional dollars...

Personally, I don't think they care one way or the other. They've done everything a band could possibly ever do. Having another number 1 song is obviously not a major priority. If it was, they could have turned half of the songs off Bomb into top 10 singles by now already...

Agreed. The commercial success will depend on how much money they sink into a marketing campaign. The song is brilliant, whether or not the title is in the lyric is irrelevant. This is strictly a case of promotional dollars...

Personally, I don't think they care one way or the other. They've done everything a band could possibly ever do. Having another number 1 song is obviously not a major priority. If it was, they could have turned half of the songs off Bomb into top 10 singles by now already...

Agreed!!!

Clawgrabber said:
the song will be picked up by radio as a result of the ipod commercial...

honestly, if the labels aren't willing to promote (and u2 isn't either... they never played COBL on any tv appearrances, Letterman, COnan, Today, etc)

the ipod commercial thing seems to be the only real way to get U2 attention to the masses (i.e. the "not fans")

look at vertigo

which video do people honestly think of when they hear the song, the desert one or the ipod one???

i have already heard a bunch of people ask me "what is that new U2 song on tv" as a result of the OOTS commercials

Bingo. All the iPod adds are genius. They also run them over, and over, and over. If U2 had simply let Apple's marketing team handle promotions for Atomic Bomb, all their singles would have skyrocketed...

They succeeded in luring in a younger audience with the Vertigo commercials - but instead of trying to seal the deal - they backed off with ABOY, Sometimes, and COBL, especially in the US...

They apparently were not thrilled with the results of these last three singles so what do they do? Turn right around and launch another campaign with Apple...

OOTS should now easily surpass the sales of their last three releases, never mind that it's a better song than either of them.
Selling records is simply a numbers game. Just check Itunes top 10 list on any given day, it sure as hell doesn't have anything to do with quality of product...

Back
Top Bottom