Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quite honestly, I don't think any song off of the album is going to make a difference in the U.S. There just hasn't been any more promotion - it's like the label has decided to move on. And it's reflected in the numbers, unfortunately.

Perhaps an actual commercial release of a song with some unreleased stuff would make a difference. Lord knows record companies here don't know what the hell a single is anymore.

The single releases in the UK have been awful and I'm on about the other tracks on them. The b-sides are the worse they have ever released and I, as a collector, expected more. That is one reason why I am dreading another single release with god damn awful b-sides on it. Let me see now, the next one might have a remix or five on it maybe. Great stuff, can't wait!:wink:

Re: Re: Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

Arcadion said:
OOTS (the best song on HTDAAB said by even Bono and The Edge) is perfect for the radio!
As for the song title, yes it IS a minor point. what was that hit called that goes, "time goes by, so slowly, and time can do so much" Had no idea what song i was singing after One at Cardiff :huh:

or one of the greatest songs of all time, "mama, life had just begun, but now i've gone and thrown it all away"

Totally forgot what that one is called! :rolleyes:

Song after One: "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers

Great song: "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

Re: Re: Re: Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

LemonMacPhisto said:

Song after One: "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers

Great song: "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

Everyone knew that, which was the poster's point.

Oh God no, not OOTS.

u2 are without a doubt heading towards 'dad rock' they might already be there with the choice of releases from HTDAAB since Vertigo. For the last two albums most songs have been a ballad or mid-tempo, very unintresting and uninspiring indeed.

starvinmarvin said:
Original of the Species is a poor choice for the next U2 single. For one thing, it sounds way too adult contemporary to stand a chance of getting any airplay. However, one of the biggest problems with the song is its title. Nowhere in the song does Bono actually using the words "original of the species." This may seem like a minor point to some, but how are the masses supposed to remember what the song is called? The song doesn't stand a chance.

I completely agree there. I have never once said that OOTS should be the next single. It's main downfall will be the title.

shaun vox said:
u2 are making music for old people so this songs fits right in!! they are in their 50s right?

You're an idiot.

And for the record, Adam and Bono are 45, Edge and Larry turn 44 later this year.

shaun vox said:

shut your mouth!! all you talk about is UF and JT !! so shut up!!
and i can tell that your old too!! idiot

I'm actually eighteen.

I must say I love the arguments of people like you, where you bitch about U2 making 'old people' music and then turn around and say it's obvious HTDAAB and Vertigo are shit because they're popular with young people.

Get your arguments straight. Oh, that's right, you're just so stuck in your dumb nineties biases that you can't think clearly.

Lo-Fi said:
Oh God no, not OOTS.

u2 are without a doubt heading towards 'dad rock' they might already be there with the choice of releases from HTDAAB since Vertigo. For the last two albums most songs have been a ballad or mid-tempo, very unintresting and uninspiring indeed.

Good job I was a dad at the age of 26 then.

Lo-Fi said:
Oh God no, not OOTS.

Vertigo, Elevation, Beautiful Day, COBL are all ballads and mid-tempo songs.........:|

Some of U2's best songs are not exactly full-on rockfests...Bad, One, Streets, Pride............:madspit:

there is nothing wrong with mid-tempo rockers..look at what lillywhite said about them......

U2 don’t see themselves as a rock band. They find rock the most difficult thing to do. Mid-tempo ballads with big washy things are what they’re great at. ‘Vertigo’ feels like a piece of gold, now. But we didn’t recognise the gold at the time.

Meghan said:
I didn't think U2 were ever a heavy-metal, hard-rockin' band. :shrug:

Well I heard the new album is gonna be punk rock from venus, so there!! :madspit: :wink:

I actually thought U2 were a heavy metal band when I was a kid, and that stopped me from listening to them :lol: I don't know why I had that idea, but all such notions were dismissed when I heard Discotheque and replaced with everlasting devotion. :D

I think Original of the Species is insanely catchy. It would do especially well if it were made in the 60's by a band called The Beatles :wink: seriously though, it's very catchy, and my personal favourite off the album, but I don't know how it will do on radio...I would support the release of Love and Peace or Else as a single, personally. U2 needs something more "rocking" after Sometimes and COBL, and a way to connect to the younger crowd, the people that may have became interested with Vertigo, but not interested enough. I put LAPOE on a mix CD I gave to people at my school and I had multiple people come up to me and say "I don't normally like U2, but that song is cool!!" I think Love and Peace or Else has a better chance of attracting new fans. But I'm not gonna complain if Original is a single, it's quite a brilliant song, better than LAPOE imo.

I would have had LAPOE, Vertigo, Fast Cars and SYCMIOYO as the singles from HTDAAB..each would would have something offer and 3/4 of the singles aren't the archetypal U2 ballad formula.

Lo-Fi said:
Oh God no, not OOTS.

Oh yes, U2's been nothing but a full-on rock band with songs like New year's Day, Pride, WOWY, I still havent' found..., One, Stay, Staring at the sun.

While I would prefer Kite and In a little while over Walk on and Elevation, I think the singles this time around (except All because of you) are perfect.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Oh yes, U2's been nothing but a full-on rock band with songs like New year's Day, Pride, WOWY, I still havent' found..., One, Stay, Staring at the sun.

While I would prefer Kite and In a little while over Walk on and Elevation, I think the singles this time around (except All because of you) are perfect.

Far from it.

LAPOE
Vertigo
Sometimes
Fast Cars
OOTS

That's better.

Swan269 said:
there is nothing wrong with mid-tempo rockers..look at what lillywhite said about them......

U2 don’t see themselves as a rock band. They find rock the most difficult thing to do. Mid-tempo ballads with big washy things are what they’re great at. ‘Vertigo’ feels like a piece of gold, now. But we didn’t recognise the gold at the time.

Oh God what a horrible quote that is, the more I hear Lylliewhite the more I dislike him. U2 are far greater than 'mid-tempo ballads with big washy things' (what the fuck...). I would hate to be summed up as that. Fair enough, they're not a hard rock band, but U2's work through the '90's especially shows they're better than that diatripe of a summation.

namkcuR said:

Far from it.

LAPOE
Vertigo
Sometimes
Fast Cars
OOTS

That's better.

Fast cars isn't even on all editions of Bomb so it's unrealistic to make it a single - plus there's lots of better single material on the Bomb.
Vertigo doesn't work as any other single but the first one, and the album doesn't need two rock singles, in a row at that. (remember what happened to All because of you?)

Diversity is the key with the singles.

Last edited:
OOTS...I mean, I like the song, but I don't understand the band's obsession with it...it's like every quote from Bono is a rave about the song structure, etc...like they invented it...and the iPod performance..."this is the part where it becomes a hit"...COME ON Bono...why the obsession with this song???...do you honestly think this is the greatest thing you've written in the past decade???...

Zoocoustic said:
OOTS...I mean, I like the song, but I don't understand the band's obsession with it...it's like every quote from Bono is a rave about the song structure, etc...like they invented it...and the iPod performance..."this is the part where it becomes a hit"...COME ON Bono...why the obsession with this song???...do you honestly think this is the greatest thing you've written in the past decade???...

not sure about this past decade, but I'd wager to say it's the best thing they've written past 2000...

except for Mercy. but I guess that was "too good" for the album...

Zoocoustic said:

Well I think it's the best from any album since AB.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

Axver said:

Everyone knew that, which was the poster's point.

lol, sarcasm gets lost with me :wink:

I think U2 have completely forgotten the point of singles and completely take their fame for granted. Back in the day, they tried to release singles that grabbed people's attention, got stuck in their heads, and made them want to purchase the album. Now U2 seem to be using singles as a way to promote their tour, such as using a live video for COBL and a performance video, showing fans' reaction to U2, for the terribly chosen second single ABOY. This is why they would never release L&POE as a single, and if they do, they will NEVER EVER make a video for it, and they would never let it get any airplay.

I think U2 need a reality check showing that they are still a band and not just a touring machine.

well in fairness to the band, if the public doesn't buy into ABOY, then they aren't buying into U2 as a rock band anyways. U2 haven't made a more pure rock and roll song, maybe ever.

So what exactly are they supposed to do?

OOTS is not reinventing the wheel, but perhaps those people yet to be intrigued by HTDAAB are wanting something more melodic, sweet and poppier than an abrasive, almost annoying Vertigo, COBL which sounds like U2 doing U2 and Sometimes, sentimental thoughts aside is seen as another ballad from U2 as an aging rock band. They don't have that many options. Love and Peace or OOTS are the only viable options, IMO.

They've got to grab the attention of an apathetic music buying public who already have formulated an opinion about this album and U2 long ago. So what should they do? Well a re-worked OOTS as a single is not the worst idea I could think of. It's got a better chance than the others, besides possible LAPOE.

Re: Re: Why Original Of The Species Will Fail

You're wrong...I'm in Canada and get a lot of U.S radio...U2 songs are played much more regularly on Mainstream Rock Radio, Classic Rock Radio and Modern Rock Radio formats with the exception of maybe SYCMIOYO....especially AB, JT and their earlier stuff...and Vertigo is played regularly on all of them. U2 may have some appeal to the AC crowd, but they are not by any means considered an AC band (except maybe by 14 year old teeny boppers)

BigMacPhisto said:

Um, it's the Hot AC, Adult Contemporary and Triple A stations where this band gets most of their airplay in the US. So the song fits perfectly for that.........agreed however that it won't make the Billboard 100.

Swan269 said:

:confused: Did Steve Lillywhite recently have a concussion or something? How can a band that gave the world Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, Bullet the Blue Sky, God Part II, Like A Song, The Fly, Desire, Acrobat, Until the End of the World, etc., etc. not see themselves as a rock band? Sure, they have a lot of great ballads too, but the rock songs are a huge part of who they are.

Back
Top Bottom