Why no U2 on American Idol?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

East 17

The Fly
This always confused me. They're huge in America... and clearly the Idol production company has permission to aire their songs, as the World Idol sang "Beautiful Day" in the finale. I know that American Idol discourages or even proscribes songs from some artists (I think I remember seeing Bruce Springsteen on that list), but I can't imagine that they consider U2 to be so far removed from the realm of pop, especially after ATYCLB, to deem their music ineligible. But what do I know?

I seem to remember one horrid auditioner singing ISHFWILF two seasons ago, but that's all I've heard of U2 on AI. Perhaps people on this forum prefer it to stay that way :) but I'm sincerely curious as to why we haven't heard more.

For future reference, please do not include the word U2 and the name of that ridiculously awful tv program in the same sentence ever again. My eyes are still burning.:mad:

:wink:

I'd hazard a guess and say most of the songs sung by contestants are by solo artists, whose songs naturally empthasize their voice-it's a natural fit. Most U2 songs are defined by Bono's passion rather then his natural singing ability and I also doubt many people think a softer melody like One would make an impression on the judges. Frankly, I'm ok with it- most contestants suck on the show anyways and I don't want another William Hung ruining Lemon or Discotheque or something.

Last edited:
I've wondered the same thing... I watched AI last year and the year before, I'm skipping this year since I now think it's a fraud. I just wonder why the American version of the show doesn't allow U2 songs, while the Australian version, Canadian version and the Norwegian version all have allowed U2 songs to be sung several times each during the finals of the shows. It seems especially weird since Simon Cowell has said he likes U2. Are they too cheap to pay for the rights? Is that why we get Nickelback or Lynrd Skynrd instead of U2? That's another reason I'm skipping this year... how many Whitney Houston and Celine Dion songs must we endure every year? I had enough. And while we're at it, why no U2 songs on Rock Star INXS? I waited and waited... but nothing. I thought that would be a great fit. Or are the INXS guys jealous of U2's success? After all, they were kind of neck and neck for "World's Biggest Band" status back in 1987. Might be some bitterness there. Who knows.

Good point, rileybug... I half expected someone to whip out Stuck in a Moment on Rock Star INXS. I thought they were all friends?

Just to clarify, I'm not torn up about U2's absence from AI... just confused. I wouldn't expect Lemon or Mofo to be covered, but gawd, four seasons and no ISHFWILF? Seems odd.

BTW, I heard Clay Aiken made WTSHNN a part of his concert rotation a while back. Haven't heard his version, but if the story's true, it shows that AI contestants don't categorically frown on U2.

rileybug said:
I've wondered the same thing... I watched AI last year and the year before, I'm skipping this year since I now think it's a fraud. I just wonder why the American version of the show doesn't allow U2 songs, while the Australian version, Canadian version and the Norwegian version all have allowed U2 songs to be sung several times each during the finals of the shows. It seems especially weird since Simon Cowell has said he likes U2. Are they too cheap to pay for the rights? Is that why we get Nickelback or Lynrd Skynrd instead of U2? That's another reason I'm skipping this year... how many Whitney Houston and Celine Dion songs must we endure every year? I had enough. And while we're at it, why no U2 songs on Rock Star INXS? I waited and waited... but nothing. I thought that would be a great fit. Or are the INXS guys jealous of U2's success? After all, they were kind of neck and neck for "World's Biggest Band" status back in 1987. Might be some bitterness there. Who knows.

You think the show is a fraud, too? :ohmy: I especially wanted to see the faux INXS cover tired U2 songs too. We must be twins.

East 17 said:
BTW, I heard Clay Aiken made WTSHNN a part of his concert rotation a while back. Haven't heard his version, but if the story's true, it shows that AI contestants don't categorically frown on U2.

This is something you DO NOT want to hear. I heard about this and found the MP3 on a Clay fan site... Dear God, it was the single worst U2 cover I have ever heard! Seriously, many times worse than any other U2 cover by anyone. HORRID, just GODAWFUL! It was like a psychotic Broadway version of the song... all real feeling and emotion sucked out of it... leaving a space for Clay to "showcase" his "voice"... UGH.

The reason is that artists must OK their songs to be used. There was a big tadoo a month ago when Kelly Clarkson--the first US Idol winner--wouldn't allow her songs to be used (she's since changed her mind). My guess is that U2, who very tightly control everything about their music's use, have not OK'd it for the show.

Well, we know it's not the boys objecting to it, since we've already established that other Idol shows around the world have allowed U2 to be performed.

My guess it has something to do with the fact that different record companies have the distribution rights to U2 in different countries. In the US, it's Interscope. In Canada, it's Universal Music Group. In the UK, it's Island, etc. They're all part of the same parent company, but I'll bet each regional spin-off gets to make the call for that country's Idol. For whatever reason, Interscope won't let American Idol do U2. The question is, why?

Thanks for the Clay Aiken link, though I think you'll understand if I wait until I have an empty stomach to view it.

U2 songs are not conducive to the American Idol format. Most of the songs are pop songs, hip-hop songs or classic songs (Bee Gees, Beatles, ect.).
Plus, most of the songs are sung a capella. It's tough to sing a U2 song a capella. Except for ISHFWILF, I can't think of a U2 song that can be sung a capella.
I am surprised that Simon Cowell likes Bono's singing. I always thought he likes the traditional pop or soulful singer, a la Whitney Houston, Celine Dion.

Windmilllane said:
Most of the songs are pop songs, hip-hop songs or classic songs (Bee Gees, Beatles, ect.).
I've never heard hip-hop or Beatles on American Idol.

Windmilllane said:

Plus, most of the songs are sung a capella.

Only the try-outs are a capella.

Haven't heard the Beatles on AI either... thinking Sony hasn't given them the rights.

I could at least imagine ISHF, Stuck, Sweetest Thing, and IALW on there...

NBC paid a SHIT load for the Olympics.
NBC is getting their ass kicked by American Idol in ratings.
NBC is owned by Universal.
Interscope is owned by Universal.
U2 is on Interscope.
Essentially U2's label and NBC are owned by the same people.

Basically, I don't think Universal is turning over any of their stuff to Fox/American Idol, but it's just a guess.

Utoo said:
The reason is that artists must OK their songs to be used. There was a big tadoo a month ago when Kelly Clarkson--the first US Idol winner--wouldn't allow her songs to be used (she's since changed her mind).

That was overblown actually, Kelly never really had a say.
The labels have the say.

But anyhow, I think she's trying to seperate herself, because it seems to me quite painfully obvious, that after five seasons, she's the only one with any real discernable talent outside of karaoke bars. Who else? She won the Grammy's from her peers because they see it as well. Teh average crowd won't give her the props, but she's better than the Fantasia tripe that show is spewing out these days. Detest the show all you want, it was Kelly's only realy way to get into the music biz, be honest. There aren't many indie labels looking for young female pop singers. They have deferred to the monolithic corporate labels for that.

She couldn't even get signed 5, 10, 20 years ago, not "pretty" enough, not the stereotype, at all. But she's got a voice that is pretty amazing.

I actually think she's kinda hot, and has an ass that Jlo would be proud of. Chikka-chik-check it out!

Last edited:
rileybug said:

I think you have your years wrong there.

JT was 1987.

The following year, 1988, "Kick" became a huge hit in the U.S.

So while U2 was all over 1987, INXS had their claim in 1988. It's debatable if INXS won, though, because JT was SO huge that it lingered on well into 1988, and then, by the year's end, "Desire" and R&H were released.

Regardless of the years, I think there's no U2 on AI due to a rights issue. This is the same thing iTunes is facing. Each country has their legal battles. Perhaps, for whatever reason, these Idol shows in other countries have the rights to U2's songs, but the U.S. doesn't.

That said, I think singing U2's songs would be very challenging. Current U2 is too popular - everyone's heard "Vertigo" and "Beautiful Day". As such, the singers would be compared to Bono/U2 and that's tough for any starting artist. If one goes back in time, say to the AB era - well... Bono purposely sang the songs on AB such that they weren't all that vocally challenging (note the whisper of "The Fly" or the near spoken voice of "Even Better Than..." or "Until the End of the World"). As this is a singing competition, AB songs won't really light up an audience or the judges. If we go back to the UF/JT/R&H eras, then we have Bono belting out songs - which is probably rather difficult for the singers to do. So my guess is that a lot of them might purposely avoid singing U2. I know I would (that is, if I could sing, were young enough to be on the show and were stupid enough to audition).

StlElevation said:
kelly is hot
th_bd248_kelly.jpg

ba-donk-a-donk

Back
Top Bottom