Why no love songs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niceman said:

I literally and sincerely don't understand what you mean. What do you mean by a "love song?"

A song about a relationship that is happy and wonderful all around. No "Bono" thoughts of wanting, missing, not having etc.
Some of the posters mentioned All I Want Is You, A man and a woman etc.

But aren't the greates "love songs" about heartbreak, missing, longing, separation etc. I guess that's where most art comes from. Bono has said many times that he has a "hole in his heart", and that's what drives him, happy marriage or not.

last unicorn said:
But aren't the greates "love songs" about heartbreak, missing, longing, separation etc. I guess that's where most art comes from. Bono has said many times that he has a "hole in his heart", and that's what drives him, happy marriage or not.

Yes, true. but my question was regarding the traditional, love song(happy type).

blm said:

A song about a relationship that is happy and wonderful all around. No "Bono" thoughts of wanting, missing, not having etc.

Well, apparently he has written those types of songs...

I don't remember whether I read this article myself or if someone else quoted it in another thread, but he has said that he has written those types of "love songs"--but the only person who will ever hear them is his wife! (He described them as being 'vomit-inducing' to anyone besides her!)

Judging from the nature of the average "love song" these 'vomit inducers' could be Top Ten hits!:wink:

blm said:

I think that's a pretty limited and unusual definition of what a love song is. usually when people talk about love songs, they seem to just mean songs about love!

I mean, MOST people would call One and With or Without You love songs, wouldn't they? And it doesn't get more conflicted and emotionally complicated than that...

Yes, Niceman, i would normally agree with you- but my question was specifically about the "vomit inducing " type only, and Kimby answered as to why we don't hear those . I am aware of his exceptional writing talents, and various types of "love" songs, and i wouldn't argue that he has many and many types of love songs. I wasn't trying to get complicated about it, it was a simple question, i thought!! :shrug: :)

Kimby, I'd love to find out where that info is from. And yes, I am sure we (plebans) would love to hear them. But I guess he has the right to save something special for Ali!!:wink:

blm said:
I'd love to find out where that info is from. And yes, I am sure we (plebans) would love to hear them. But I guess he has the right to save something special for Ali!!:wink:

I can't find the source for that anymore, but I also remember that quote quite clearly. He said he had written plenty of "love songs" but that he feared they would induce projectile vomiting in anyone other than the woman for whom they had been written, and that he wouldn't want to have his face reddened by hearing them on the radio. He also said that in his opinion the best love songs needed to have a bittersweet or melancholy element to them.

blm said:
why hasn't he written any REAL love songs? They are always filled with angst, pain, ambiguity, desire, searching, wanting, etc.
Has he ever been asked this ?

Those are the REAL love songs.

I've never experienced love without all those things.

No, they don't have many, a lot of their songs are more in the heartbreak/unrequited/immoral sort of vein.

All I Want is You is probably their only true love song.

With or Without is not an out-and-out song, you can tell straight from the title.

How about Elevation, or Big Girls are Best.

I think those are pretty positive love songs :)

U2 has plenty of "love" songs really.

The fact that the 'love' songs include these other meanings, for me, just underlines my love for U2. There's always something more, there's a million different ways every song can be interpreted.

COBL_04 said:
All I Want is You is probably their only true love song.

Ahem, no. It's not. It's also 'only' bitter-sweet, filled with a amell of desparation:

All the promises we make ("the love clicheé") ...
All the promises we break ("the naked truth"),
from the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you.

Because of the different perspectives, because lyrics show both sides of love, that's why U2's 'love songs' are not simple plain, but full of meaning & mixed emotion. Hope, that won't change ever ...

Originally posted by Niceman
With or Without You
The Sweatest Thing
Luminous Times (Hold onto Love)
Wild Honey
Babyface
Mysterious Ways
So Cruel
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?
Ultraviolet
Do you feel loved?
All I want is You
Love Rescue Me
Be There
All Because of You
etc.

If these aren't love songs, then I don't know what would be!
Drowning Man needs to be on that list too. :up:

Originally posted by kingofsorrow
isn't drowning man a love song?
With the emotional 'passion' within those 'heartfelt' lyrics !! :yes:

ZOOTVTOURist said:

Ahem, no. It's not. It's also 'only' bitter-sweet, filled with a amell of desparation:

All the promises we make ("the love clicheé") ...
All the promises we break ("the naked truth"),
from the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you.

Because of the different perspectives, because lyrics show both sides of love, that's why U2's 'love songs' are not simple plain, but full of meaning & mixed emotion. Hope, that won't change ever ...

Wisely stated. That is why also, so many of their songs bring that funny feeling to my stomach-they hit that spot. and mean something personal to us.

Aygo said:

"Love Rescue Me" and "All Because Of you" are not real man-woman (or whatever) love songs. These are songs about God and transcendence, but some lines can be interpreted as love songs.
I'd switch those for "A Man and A Woman" or "Wild Honey", for instance.

no,wild honey is about bono loving the monkey

major_panic said:
IN A LITTLE WHILE

Ahem, no. It's not. It's also 'only' bitter-sweet, filled with a amell of desparation: "In a little while – this hurt will hurt no more ..."

God Part III said:

WTF.

There's a U2 song I don't know about?

Where's this from?

From @U2:

"Be There"
You don't have to break your heart in two, my love
You don't have to play a part, it's you I love
You don't have to hide from yourself
You don't have to be someone else again
You don't have to rescue me
You don't have to watch me drown
You don't have to give to me
All I want is you

Be there, my love
Be there tonight
Be there, my love
Be there tonight

You don't have to dress yourself up or stay the same
You don't have to smile if I say smile
You don't have to be the best
You don't have to give me rest
All I want is all you have
Nothing else, nothing
Be there, my love

Just be there, my love
If you want the whole of me that's all you'll get
I'll sing this song
I'd give my health, give it all
You don't have to

Ah, she comes on by
She says, I need you, my love
She says, all I want is you

You don't have to play your little game if I fall apart
You don't have to work those strings or do those things
You're enough in my heart
You don't have to hide from yourself
You don't have to be someone else
All I want is all you have
All I want is you

Be there, my love
Be there tonight
Be there, my love
Be there tonight

(This song is from the Unforgettable Fire era and was never released, although it was played live once)

I have a really muffled-sounding version of this somewhere. It's quite lovely. I've always suspected that the reason it wasn't recorded was because the lyrics seemed so very personal.

Wow, cool.

If anyone would care to upload it, I'd be very thankful.

I've haven't heard a "new" old song for about 2 years.

I'm technologically-challenged, so no uploading, but if I can find it I'd be happy to try to figure out how to send it to you. What's your addy?

+ 1 in my U2 library ;)

Back on topic though, I have a hard time finding songs by any artist that doesn't stray away from the topic "love" like most U2 songs do.

The only song on love itself I can think of is Dylan's "I Threw It All Away".

Oh, and "Be There" is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom