Why no love for ATYCLB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I love this album. Why not love for it?? My least favorite is Zooropa.

Because it just hasn't got a lot of memorable songs in my opinion.

The only songs that are really interesting are Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite and When I Look At The World

Songs like Stuck In A Moment, In A Little While, Wild Honey and Peace On Earth are just ok songs. I've never had a feeling to play one of these songs. I only hear them passing by as a consequence of the shuffle mode of my Ipod.

Songs like Elevation, New York and Grace I usually skip, even on the shuffle mode.

I love it too, i always put it on when im feeling a bit urgh. Always cheers me up - its such an uplifting album!

Justin24 said:
I love this album. Why not love for it?? My least favorite is Zooropa.

Because the back side isn't at all worthwhile. I liked the first 4 songs, thought Kite and WILATW was OK, and that was it.

ATYCLB > HTDAAB

slightly overrated by critics, but very underrated here. ATYCLB has a very warm, comforting feeling to me at least. I love it.

AtomicBono said:
ATYCLB > HTDAAB

slightly overrated by critics, but very underrated here. ATYCLB has a very warm, comforting feeling to me at least. I love it.

:up:

I don't love it, but given the choice between ATYCLB and HTDAAB, I'd take ATYCLB.

I'd never expect the stuff on HTDAAB to uplift me anyday. :|

Well in HTDAAB Vertigo always uplifts me and City of Blinding lights

A very boring album, to me.
New York had potential to be good, but doesn't do it for me.
Beautiful Day is a great single, but is a song like Pride where I'm pretty sick of it by now.
Elevation is pretty bad, although I did enjoy it live on this past tour.
Grace is just too slow for me. It is tied in my book as worst closer since "Is That All?"
When I Look At The World is a good song, but still not great. Same goes for Kite.
I actually like Wild Honey and In A Little While, even though I tend to go for the more rocking songs on a U2 album. The trouble is, this album really has only two, and one of them is pretty awful (Elevation), and the other one is getting there (BD).
To summarize, I personally rank this as U2's worst album. Not an AWFUL album mind you, but on U2 standards I give it a 5, mayyybe a 6 out of 10.

Justin24 said:
Well in HTDAAB Vertigo always uplifts me and City of Blinding lights

yeah, HTDAAB has some uplifting stuff certainly, and Original of the Species ranks up there with U2's best. but when I listen to the entire album now (which honestly I don't usually do, I usually find myself switching to something else...I think having an iPod gives me musical ADD :wink: ), it doesn't give me the same satisfaction as ATYCLB. ATYCLB feels like an album to me; HTDAAB a collection of songs. Even Grace, which is a song I wouldn't typically put on by itself, feels very satisfying at the end of ATYCLB. Listen to that album on a beautiful day as the sun goes down and you'll find yourself smiling.

ATYCLB is better than 98% of the the music that came around that time.

That being said, it is an overall bland album by U2 standards. Given their history of great albums, we feel that they can do better.

But I love ATYCLB. I'm certainly not a hater.

It has a too commercial & "pop" like sound for me, kinda like AB. I don't care much for the lyrics either. Sometimes I like the album and other times I hate it. Top songs would be When I Look At The World, New York, Walk On, Beautiful Day. Though I really dislike Kite, Peace On Earth, In A little While And Stuck in A Moment. Rest is Ok.

Great album, more of return to a more organic U2 sound. Probably one of U2 strongest albums song wise, whereas every song had radio potential.

The only thing that suffers (and not much) is Bono's vocals on a couple songs. He was going through a difficult vocal period and his performance isn't as strong as it is on HTDAAB. But I'm not going to sweat the small stuff...great album.

Justin24 said:
Why not love for it??

Because it's a complete clunker, if you ask me. Barely a good song on it. I certainly never think to listen to the album. It seems bland, uninspired, weak, and dull, as if the band were half asleep. And the album is especially doomed due to the presence of not just Stuck In A Moment but In A Little While as well.

HTDAAB, in comparison, is half a good album in my opinion. Half of it is down on ATYCLB's level, but U2 lifted for some of the tunes and made some memorable stuff.

This was the album that made me love U2. It was my first album. Now it's not one of my favourites but I have a big respect for it... It has one of my favourite songs, Kite, and has other songs that I like a lot: WILATW, Walk On, New York... And I think Elevation was a good opener for the tour.
I just wished The Ground Beneath Her Feet was on it...

I'm a huge fan of in a little while actually, which is odd as im not a big fan of TTTYAATW (and for some reason i always think of those songs together).
I think its simple yet the tune is just, for want of a word, cute. None of the songs are particulary deep, but you dont always need that on an album.

Not a huge fan of it BUT must say that "Beautiful Day" single handedly brought U2 back to the world - the "comeback" single of all time really. "Kite" "When I Look At The World" "Stuck In A Moment " and "New York" are all pretty good songs. "In A Little While" and "Wild Honey" are fair to middlin. "Walk On" is a classic. "Grace" I could do without as well as "Peace On Earth".
"Elevation" I just cannot stand - worst U2 song ever although after seeing it live I guess it is a crowd pleaser so what the heck.
Overall - not a BAD album at all actually. It ain't The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby but it really ain't that bad.

Harry Vest said:
It ain't The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby but it really ain't that bad.

I think im the only person who prefers ATYCLB to achtung baby..:reject:

Back
Top Bottom