Why No Live Albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMBLover

The Fly
a place that has to be believed to be seen...
Hello!
Okay I know this revelation is not new, but really, why has U2 released no live albums since Rattle and Hum? I was watching Live in Boston today, wishing so badly that I could play it in my car as well but, nope. They're the biggest band in the world, it's not like the CDs wouldn't sell. Lots of bands release live CDs with a DVD version included or available. What are your theories on why there have been no live CDs in forever?

Because of the videos. Simply, you can't expect people to buy both, and clearly, the videos do more justice.

Umm...good question. My guess is that they know there are bootlegs out there and believe that live releases aren't needed. I think at the end of thier career they will release some stuff from the vault.
In my opinion though, the shows that make it to video aren't the best shows out there. There are alot better shows than Sydney, Boston and Chicago. So if U2 were to release live albums, I don't think I would listen to them very much.

Screwtape2 said:
There are alot better shows than Sydney, Boston and Chicago.

Sydney was a great show. Bono still had a voice and Edge's guitar was ON that night.

Agreed on the other two.

phillyfan26 said:
Because of the videos. Simply, you can't expect people to buy both, and clearly, the videos do more justice.

I disagree. A band like Dream Theater with a much lower profile and fanbase than U2 can quite viably release a DVD and a CD at the same time (that's been the pattern for the last few Dream Theater live releases). So I don't see why U2 can't do it. Plenty of people would buy both.

What would be really cool is if buying their live DVDs meant receiving a coupon with which you could download the audio of the DVD from iTunes or some such digital outlet.

I don't really see a CD/DVD combo for anything other than a Live Retrospective or something... and that would have to be a box-set.

Plus, its always cool to get a different concert for the DVD and CD versions of a release (see: Sunny Day Real Estate's live releases from their "How It Feels To Be Something On" tour).

While I agree that the shows released on DVD aren't necessarily the best performances, it is of course possible to rip the audio from DVDs and turn them into CDs etc. The one advantage of doing this is that the audio quality tends to be superb, even better than SB quality bootlegs (Rattle and Hum, for all it's flaws, has a wonderful audio mix).

I guess the iTunes idea was just a pipedream

we've plenty of pretty damn good audience and various other recordings over the years , and no need for live albums.

U2 are "perfectionists" when it comes to offically releasing stuff (although just look at the Chicago DVD :wink: ), before you flame me for that, Its NOT TERRIBLE, just what happend to the days when U2 would wait for a tour to be fully (or more) developed before they released a Concert Video.

bono_man2002 said:
U2 are "perfectionists" when it comes to offically releasing stuff (although just look at the Chicago DVD :wink: ), before you flame me for that, Its NOT TERRIBLE, just what happend to the days when U2 would wait for a tour to be fully (or more) developed before they released a Concert Video.

I agree, it seems like they record a show early on the tour when the songs seem to be alot better near the end of the tour. I like the Chicago DVD but a later show would have been better, say Milan! They should release DVD's with an indoor show and an outdoor show.

Itunes AAC is crap but i would buy any official live suff if it was in Apple Lossless Format

Metallica had great idea with their livemetallica, many shows from multiple tours avaible both in mp3 & flac formats

Last edited:
Live albums are just few and far between now with the development of DVDs.

Unless it's PJ selling every show without editing or mastering, smaller indie bands who need to release something but can't afford another studio album, or your a prog rock or jam band live albums just aren't really done anymore...

Axver said:

I disagree. A band like Dream Theater with a much lower profile and fanbase than U2 can quite viably release a DVD and a CD at the same time (that's been the pattern for the last few Dream Theater live releases). So I don't see why U2 can't do it. Plenty of people would buy both.

It would make sense (I'd love to have it be really simple to download, say, Electric Co. Live from Chicago, right off a CD to iTunes, without doing any "conversions" or anything). But they don't see it. They released that little one to members of U2.com but that's because you're paying $40 and they have to throw you a bone. I think they feel it's not worth it.

As long as there are DVDs (you can rip audio from those) and bootlegs, no point in doing that.

Unless they do it Pearl Jam-style and release all shows in CD format.

I've made few threads about this as well ....

Gotta go with ya ........... It's quite boring and all , u are in a music store and all , and look at live albums , it seems all the bands are there : Gun's Roses , WHo , lot of live retros ....... there's Forty Licks of Stones ....... and no U2 ...... ita kinda really pisses you . The closest thing we got is an EP , Red Rocks , coz u can't really call an 8 songs CD an album ....... besides only their first 3 albums ............

Yeah it hurts on this view ........ It's quite a shame , there's isn't a single full live thing with at least all the songs until UF and Jt maybe ? ......

1. Video's are much better
2. Why buy a bootleg when you can download?

I was in FYE just the other day and I saw a CD version of Slane Castle. I swear it, I did.
I was a bit shocked, because I didn't think there was such a thing.

I hope U2 takes out of their vault some more Zoo TV dvd's from indoors, USA outdoor and Europe outdoor....that would be awesome:drool:

BlackElectric said:
I was in FYE just the other day and I saw a CD version of Slane Castle. I swear it, I did.
I was a bit shocked, because I didn't think there was such a thing.

Saw the thing you were looking at, it's actually the DVD in a smaller case. Thought it was CD at first, but checked it out.

phillyfan26 said:

Saw the thing you were looking at, it's actually the DVD in a smaller case. Thought it was CD at first, but checked it out.

Oh is it really? :huh:
Well that's weird.
Nevermind then.

I think they should just release a full 3-5 disc live 1980-2006 anthology.

Anyway, it's pretty easy to rip the audio from the UABRS/Popmart Tapes(Hasta La Vista has a bunch of the Popmart tracks too) and the ZooTV(soon!)/Boston/Slane/Vertigo DVDs - they are our live albums.

J_NP said:
I've made few threads about this as well ....

Gotta go with ya ........... It's quite boring and all , u are in a music store and all , and look at live albums , it seems all the bands are there : Gun's Roses , WHo , lot of live retros ....... there's Forty Licks of Stones ....... and no U2 ...... ita kinda really pisses you . The closest thing we got is an EP , Red Rocks , coz u can't really call an 8 songs CD an album ....... besides only their first 3 albums ............

Yeah it hurts on this view ........ It's quite a shame , there's isn't a single full live thing with at least all the songs until UF and Jt maybe ? ......

How about the Best rock n roll album ALIVE by KISS... We hear all of these rock stars saying how they were inspired by that album, also notice my Ace frehley avatar:wink:

well there is U2 Communication and the live Popmart cd that were both released for fanclub members

I'll take dvds over cds any day. :yes: Audio bootlegs are easy enough to come by. I'd rather have the band put their official efforts into some professional-quality material that really gives you the full experience---like video.

That said, I'm hoping that this greatest hits compilation thing is either false altogether or a compilation of their greatest live tracks. Even though we have most of those songs spread out on singles and fanclub discs, I can't think of any real greatest hits compilation I'd like to see from the band right now.

Anyway, back to this thread.... I'll take dvds over cds any day! :wink:

I just don't think there's the market out there for a live show CD. Most of us hardcore seem happy with our boots and others satisfied with their studio albums. The only market left would be those fans that went to a released show and I can't imagine the uptake being that high.

Best Of LIVE CD would probably be a big hit though.

Back
Top Bottom