Why No Live Albums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
Live albums are just few and far between now with the development of DVDs.

Unless it's PJ selling every show without editing or mastering, smaller indie bands who need to release something but can't afford another studio album, or your a prog rock or jam band live albums just aren't really done anymore...

Yeah so CDs are getting a little passe but they weren't as much in say 2001. What's the big deal? THey are the best live band on planet earth with 2 (very old but awesome) live CDs to show for it.

J_NP said:
I've made few threads about this as well ....

Gotta go with ya ........... It's quite boring and all , u are in a music store and all , and look at live albums , it seems all the bands are there : Gun's Roses , WHo , lot of live retros ....... there's Forty Licks of Stones ....... and no U2 ...... ita kinda really pisses you . The closest thing we got is an EP , Red Rocks , coz u can't really call an 8 songs CD an album ....... besides only their first 3 albums ............

Yeah it hurts on this view ........ It's quite a shame , there's isn't a single full live thing with at least all the songs until UF and Jt maybe ? ......

Amen!

LMBLover said:

Yeah so CDs are getting a little passe but they weren't as much in say 2001. What's the big deal? THey are the best live band on planet earth with 2 (very old but awesome) live CDs to show for it.

I haven't read a direct quote from Larry, but Adam, Bono and Edge have said they have no problems with fans having bootlegs.

Fans getting ripped off for poor quality bootlegs, that they have a problem with.

"we'll find out where they park their cars."-Bono :p

I would love to get some good live albums from U2.

Ofcourse there are bootlegs but im sure live albums are going to have a better sound etc.

I would gladly pay for it.

schnumi said:
I would love to get some good live albums from U2.

Ofcourse there are bootlegs but im sure live albums are going to have a better sound etc.

I would gladly pay for it.

specially for those legendary concerts there's not known complete footage :ohmy: as St Patrick's Day 1982, Hattem 1982, Dublin 1985, Rock's Hottest Ticket Chicago 1987, Sidney 1989, Christchurch 1989, Dublin 1989 (the 26 December one, dedicated to Axver :wink: ), Rotterdam 1990 (dedicated to me :wink: ), Dublin 1993, etc, etc, etc

It's time for the U2 bootleg series Collection :drool:

One of these times I think I should yell :

"FUCK THE BOOTLEGS"

Wait a sec guys , i love them , but if that's the reason no live cds are out C'mon .......

This whole thing "There are so many good bootlegs outside there is no need for a live cd " :tsk:

C'mon I wanna be able to listen good u2 live music in car , without having to put a CD-R on it ...... It's one of the most ridiculous things to my mind , The fact that someone wants to hear Streets ( Disconsider the PopHeart EP ) live on the car , so they come to you and ask so ..... " how Do I do it , which cd I buy it ? " And then u look and say : "Look man , u gotta go a computer , download and then record a cd " ........ Otherwise go pay for a pirate recording ........
:|

Now look at otherwise , what happens with other bands , there's someone , like me starting to really like Stones , I come to a fan "Dude I love SFTD live , wanna have it " , he/she answers : "Go after Flashpoint Mate " ....... A Floyd lover "I wanna hear Time live " , A : " Delicate sound " ............ Queen : "Bohemian ? Go for Live Magic"

Then someone new comes here and ask " hi , I'm an absolute fan of the unforgettable fire album , specially the album title track , please tell me where I can find it live "

And we all
:reject: :|

Last edited:
Though live DVDs would always be preferred, I think U2 has a big enough fan base of people who would buy any U2 item they could get their hands on that it would be justifiable to make one. And anyway, what about the people who want live U2 to listen to in their cars? Can't do that with the DVD! I'd personally love a live album (especially one that was available even to the people that don't subscribe to U2.com, their newest limited release CD thing is a live mini-album). I think it'd sell really well. If they didn't want to release a totally live album, they could always do a dual-disc with this supposed greatest hits album that is coming out. I think a lot of people would pay the extra to have a live CD of greatest hits with it.

Maybe they're afraid people would realize how much better they sound live and the studio album sales would suffer. Seriously, in the 80s I knew a lot of people who weren't die-hard "buy everything" U2 fans that had UABRS rather than Boy, October, and War...

Technically, U2 HAVE released six live albums:

1981 Live from Boston (iTunes)
1983 Under a Blood Red Sky
1988 Rattle and Hum (half-live)
1989 Lovetown (iTunes)
2000 Hasta La Vista Baby! (fanclub/iTunes)
2004 U2 Communication (fanclub)

Does anyone know statistics on how live albums sell these days vs. live DVDs? With the record industry in a free-fall, I'm not surprised U2 is moving in the DVD direction -- but they do seem to continue to look out for the audiophiles among their fans...

Screwtape2 said:
Umm...good question. My guess is that they know there are bootlegs out there and believe that live releases aren't needed. I think at the end of thier career they will release some stuff from the vault.
In my opinion though, the shows that make it to video aren't the best shows out there. There are alot better shows than Sydney, Boston and Chicago. So if U2 were to release live albums, I don't think I would listen to them very much.

:yes:

Best of ZooTV=London 1993, show II
Best of Elevation=Cleveland, South Bend, any New York show post 9/11
Best of Vertigo=Minneapolis

Back
Top Bottom