why lemons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtunganton

The Fly
i mean, i know lemon was written b/c bono's mom wore a yellow dress, but why did the lemon stick and become so prominent in u2's image in the 90's? the mirrorball lemon, the lemons in last night on earth, the constant lemonage(new word)...is there any reason behind it?
*a*

Because lemons are freaking awesome :drool:

But seriously, I imagine it went like this: Bono wrote Lemon based on his mother's dress, then when PopMart came along, they drew the connection because:

1. lemons are freaking awesome
2. the song Lemon is freaking awesome
3. the tour theme was of a supermarket and lemons are sold at supermarkets
4. the whole stage setup was so over the top, that once they decided they wanted a giant mirrorball something on the stage, a lemon seemed like an obvious choice for a shape for it, to fit the recurring theme
5. once they'd decided on the mirrorball lemon, everything thereafter (such as the lemons in the Last Night on Earth video) fit perfectly

Also, don't forget, they also had an olive :wink:

....and I put too much thought into that.

Why lemons? Because when Bono went to buy a mirrorball fruit, lemons were on special and pears weren't.

Maybe you can see a connection between Lemon and Mofo, where Bono talks about his mother. Maybe they wanted to capture that Lemon theme during the Popmart Tour to pay a tribute to Bono's mom. When they got lifted with the Lemon, it could have been a will of Bono to reach his mother, by the mean of the colour of a dress of her. I don't know if it's so, but I think there's a higher emblema hidden behind the simple figure of a lemon

Well here must be the reason, this also explains the what made Edge dance so strange in the Lemon video.

lblkljuice.jpg

U2's lemon is basically the equivalent of Pink Floyd's flying pig. Some bands like to hold on to a recurring cryptic symbol like that and make it their own.

Zootlesque said:
U2's lemon is basically the equivalent of Pink Floyd's flying pig. Some bands like to hold on to a recurring cryptic symbol like that and make it their own.

well said :yes:

Zootlesque said:

Except the lemon's disappeared post-Popmart while Roger Waters still has a pig. :(

Oh, and for the record, the Pink Floyd pigs are so much better than a lemon. When was the last time lemons went flying over Battersea Power Station?

Lemon is easier to rhyme than orange :wink:

The design of Popmart was very grounded in pop art, and pop art often relied on very simple objects and images (think Warhol's Campbell's soup can, or his banana). The lemon was probably one of the simplest images from a U2 song in that era (even if it was left over from Zooropa).

Maybe if some Pop songs reappear on the next tour, we'll get some more cool pop art-esque video images, or the second coming of the giant lemon! You've got to wonder whatever happened to that thing.

Axver said:

Oh, and for the record, the Pink Floyd pigs are so much better than a lemon. When was the last time lemons went flying over Battersea Power Station?

I really should be studying right now, but I couldn't resist:

lemons.jpg

Lemons are the ideal mode of transport, seating a family of four comfortably.

Im not sure that a pig is better then a Lemon:

Pig, see-through in the sunlight.
She wore a Pig, see-through in the daylight.
She's gonna make you cry, she's gonna make you whisper and moan.
When you're dry she draws water from a stone.
I feel like I'm slowly, slowly, slowly slippin' under.
I feel like I'm holding on to nothing.
She wore a Pig to colour in the cold grey night.
She had heaven and she held on so tight.

And clone a pig and a lemon dosnt seem rigth either
ELF67.jpg

Last edited:
Peterrrrr said:

:drool:

A Plushy Lemon that would be a nice idea for the next tour. Since the guys are getting older, this will be less dangerous and they cannot hurt themselves. It would be soft and cosy, and in case the Lemon breaks down and they get stuck inside, they can still have a lovely nap in there.

:lmao: Steph, the flying lemon is brilliant!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
They showed up in the US version Stuck video.

I thought Interference had collectively disowned that video. :wink:

last unicorn said:
A Plushy Lemon that would be a nice idea for the next tour. Since the guys are getting older, this will be less dangerous and they cannot hurt themselves. It would be soft and cosy, and in case the Lemon breaks down and they get stuck inside, they can still have a lovely nap in there.
:hmm: Now I wanna make a small plushy lemon. I don't think it would be too hard. I'd just find some fuzzy yellow material, make a pattern, sew and stuff it, and as a finishing touch: stitch the word "POP" on the side in silver :drool:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

They showed up in the US version Stuck video.

:uhoh: What video could you possibly be referring to...there is no US Stuck video...it's all a myth...

Back
Top Bottom