Why isn't Mission impossible on best of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP-ROMANCER

War Child
'This is original from clayton and mullen isn';t it? Well why isn't this song on best of 1990-2000? Miss sarajevo is also on the album and that is a song from 'passengers' not u2. That were both projects outside u2. They could have put it at least on the b-sides cd as a bonus track or someting. I think it's a beautiful song and everybody knows this song!

The Passengers involved all four members of the band plus Eno. It was originally to be released as a U2 album.

"Theme from Mission: Impossible" only had Adam and Larry, it's a cover, and the original version is better known.

Might've been a neat thing to kick off the B-sides disc with (might've spared us a horrible remix or two), but it definitely didn't belong on the A-sides disc.

I figure Walk On will be on 2000-2010. I mean, All That You Can't Leave Behind did come out in 2000, so that means it should fall into the next decade too....

Yes true, i am sure that might be the logic, but Beautiful Day and Stuck are on there. Perhaps Walk On wasn't released as a single until 2001, I can't recall. Makes sense though. Elevation must not be one of the greatest of the greatest. No argument here.

Hard to believe we are already half way to the 2010 point. Hopefully two more albums to draw from.

Last edited:
Hopefully! Maybe late 2006 and late 2009? I'm thinking Walk On and Kite will be on 2000-2010; as for Stuck and Beautiful Day, it was also 1990-2000. So the album lands in that era, too. Therefore, it should be on both 90-00 and 00-10. :)

It's not a U2 song or a U2 cover song. It has Adam playing bass and Larry playing the drums but you won't hear Edge's guitar or Bono's voice there. It was a side project from Adam and Larry. It would be a nice B-Side though.

Windmilllane said:

Yeah, they forgot to put Holy Joe, Walk On, Elevation

I believe the thinking was that in Europe, the two ATYCLB singles ("Walk On" and "Elevation") weren't released until 2001. Hence, they will appear on the next "Best Of" compilation. In contrast, "Beautiful Day" and "Stuck..." were released - again in Europe - in 2000, which is why they made it onto the CD.

However, not including "Holy Joe" is indeed a big mistake. Not only is this a great b-side, but one of the original b-sides of the "Pop" era. Why it was left off cannot be explained.

I only bought the U.K. version of the CD, which includes "The Fly". I refused to buy the U.S. version. I felt "The Fly" was crucial to the "Best Of" from that decade. And I feel the CD is better off with it. As a result, I rather enjoy the main CD. I like the remixed versions of the song - especially the remixed "Numb". The a-side should've included "Lemon" - but I guess they had to make a a cut somewhere. However, the b-side disc is sorely lacking. It's full of remixes and even missing a few songs. Given the abundance of remixes on it, I see no reason why "Mission: Impossible" couldn't have appeared there (given it was the biggest U2-related hit on U.S. charts that decade).

Walk On, Elevation, Vertigo, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, City Of Blinding Lights will all likely make it onto the best of.. COBL is a maybe-maybe not depending on the quality of the rest of the decade. Kite is also another song that probably has a good chance to make it on the best of

Perhaps it had to do with licensing rights. Even if it wasn't all the U2 members, it would still qualify as Best Of because two were involved and it made a very high chart position in the USA.

Check out U2 with Miss Sarajevo - it's not exactly their song - too much Eno input, they did it as Passengers (which was a 5-man band and not 4) and it had Pavarotti. Yet they inserted it. Blaze of Glory was a solo project by Jon Bon Jovi yet it made the Bon Jovi Greatest Hits collection. So there is no reason for Mission Impossible to be excluded other than licensing problems or U2 feeling that it did not stand the test of time.

Cheers,

J

Remixes don't bother me that much. What bothered me was remixes of songs that were already on the first CD. Couldn't they have at least found different remixes if the felt they had to include so many remixes?

JimmyChicken said:
Remixes don't bother me that much. What bothered me was remixes of songs that were already on the first CD. Couldn't they have at least found different remixes if the felt they had to include so many remixes?

I agree completely. I don't mind remixes at all - I find some refreshing. Heck, sometimes a remix helped me enjoy the original! And there are a few times I liked a remix MORE than the original! :ohmy:

However, why have SO many remixes on the b-side disc while leaving off some crucial songs? Even if "Mission: Impossible" had copyright issues (and I can't see why it would given that Larry's and Adam's remake became a huge hit), why exclude songs like "Holy Joe"?

In terms of a-sides, I actually like the 90's "Best Of" more. I enjoy the new songs and the reinterpretations of several songs. However, the 80's "Best Of" easily wins in terms of the b-side disc.

Back
Top Bottom