Why Is U2 Not Promoting The Living Hell Out of Freaking Original of the Species???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2_Guy said:

I think it's a song who could have been made by many bands like Aerosmith, Beatles, Bon Jovi... It's bland and generic.

IF I READ ONE MORE BON JOVI COMPARISON I AM GOING TO EXPLODE!!!!
:mad:

not that i don't like Bon Jovi, but...
:wink:

U2_Guy said:

That's why they never made shitty songs, right?:laugh:

:)

You are the one who lumped them in as "sterile and bland" which is a bit different from saying they did some bad songs!

:)

I still have yet to see what is so great about the song. The song is likeable, but not the amazing groundbreaking song that people say it is. Heck, I'd go as far as to say it is a bit cliche' if anything.

ZigZag said:
I still have yet to see what is so great about the song. The song is likeable, but not the amazing groundbreaking song that people say it is. Heck, I'd go as far as to say it is a bit cliche' if anything.

i dont think its groundbreaking.... but its still my favorite on the cd..... all my non-U2 fan friends like it the best as well. i guarentee it will be the biggest hit off HTDAAB...:wink:

When people talk about well crafted songs (the usual reference to ATYCLB) OOTS fits the bill. Great guitar in that song... of course its not groundbreaking... but its catchy as hell (to me that is)... the echo-drenched guitar part that close the song (main riff I guess) and the subtle guitar bits during the bridge....

Last edited:
I think Bono's the best vocalist ever.

I think his vocals on HTDAAB are the best thing about the album and his best since Zooropa.

But his singing on the chorus of OOTS (specially the last 2 chorus) are terrible.

Sounds like he is constipated.

My second favorite after Sometimes...Bono sounds great on the album, and this song as well. He nails the choruses.

Well Bono says that OOTS is his favourite song from the album.

(About 45 minutes into the simon mayo interview aired on bbc 2 monday he talks about it)

its available on the bbc 2 simon mayo web page

This has the most amazing melody - the band has been searching for that perfect pop song (almost got it with staring at the sun, failed with wild honey) and with OOTS they have found it. The Beatles meet Phil Spector. I have been a fan since 1983 and this is already such a special song for me - I play this to 15 month daughter and shit it means alot. That chorus is pure beauty and line "You are the first one of your kind" breathtaking. Adult contempory radio will eat this song up and baby boomers will just fall over themselves in digging this song - just so radio friendly. A single for the Northern Hemisphere summer.

yes oots should be a single is by far the better song on the album and it's the song that could bring much more people to buy the album and become u2 fans, everyone i know that's not u2 fan love the song and by far the only one that makes them to listen the album.

brownda7 said:
Well Bono says that OOTS is his favourite song from the album.

(About 45 minutes into the simon mayo interview aired on bbc 2 monday he talks about it)

its available on the bbc 2 simon mayo web page

That's right. And if memory serves me right, Simon actually asked him, "Do you think it's the best song...EVER?" And Bono said, "Yes".

When u think about it, not all HUGE/REMEMBERED FOREVER songs are released as a 1st single, or even as a single at all. Particularly in U2's case, this applies to ONE, which wasnt the first single from AB, and didnt even get to no.1
The songs that stand the test of time, generally has some sort of Mystique to them, and are discovered by millions more people, a few years after its release.

Axver said:

There is no one specific story behind Streets like there is behind SYCMIOYO.

Yes there is, look it up. It's about something Bono experienced. Not heaven either. But like every U2 song, it has been ambigously implied to be about something else, and Bono has made allusions to it being about heaven in pre-song/intro adlibs.

I don't believe this song is even in U2's top 20 strongest songs ever. Definately not my favorite on the album, but as I mentioned in another review, much nicer as a musical nod than Wild Honey could be.

But it has grown a bit on me, I enjoy listening to it when I place it in the context of feelings about my own children coming of age.

I would offer that it will require editing for pop radio though.

OOTS: neither groundbreaking, nor overall catchy (couple little parts are). Least fav song of the album. I tried really hard last night to like it...gave it about 10 listens and nothing.

Standouts are still MD and ABOY...far ahead of the pack.

Judah said:
OOTS: neither groundbreaking, nor overall catchy (couple little parts are). Least fav song of the album. I tried really hard last night to like it...gave it about 10 listens and nothing.

Standouts are still MD and ABOY...far ahead of the pack.

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom