Why Is It the U2 "Fan" thinks that they are entitled to-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the eyewitness account, Bonovation! I know what you mean about the outside tip, GREAT view of Bono and Edge, but yes, there is the squishing, the noisy ones, and the idiotic couple who tries to force their way through, I may have had the same ones behind me in DC!

Every show I was at, the venue always said they were not obligated to honor the fans' numbering system but in the end they always did. I don't know if the band was responsible for that or not. Oh, but in Atlanta, a security guy came out as we were lining up to go in, and yelled loudly 'get in line according to your number. If you don't have a number, GET OUT OF THE LINE, these people have been here all day!' and the crowd cheered. The numbering usually worked out well. At one show, a lady I had met in line the day before cut the line to be with me, and she sat in line with me, even though I was #73 and she was #312. I liked her and didn't want to run her off, but I was afraid we'd both be thrown to the back of the line. As it turned out, the couple ahead of me had saved a place for a friend who showed up and said she couldn't get a ticket, so they gave that girls' #71 to her, everybody got in just fine, and nothing happened.

I think sometimes I got a better spot than some people who were in front of me in line, and once a worse spot than those behind me, because I got a faster or slower wristband line after going in. I ran faster too, despite calls of 'slow down, don't run' like an elementary school safety patrol. Yeah, right. Everyone was running. U2 was waiting.

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

ouizy-
Where do I start?

First off I dont think you were at Bos.4.

If you want to have a dialouge w/me regarding Boston 4 please email -and before you do I hope you would of at least read my story before drawing ANY conclusions.
You can type in my "Open Letter To Bono" by typing this in---anthonydecker.com/bono and read it for yourself.
Apparently Bono was "OK" w/what I did and I have had subsequent correspondence w/Bono in semi-private, at other Elevation Shows and he recently pulled my kids up when spotting us at a show and played his guitar to my 9 yr.old and gave her his guitar pick before handing them back to me during the same encore song-"Walk On".
I was willing to take the risk with NO guarantees..and WHAT EVER would of happened I would of accepted the outcome.

Even Dr. Who has changed his rhectoric about me--the only problem Dr. Who had was I invaded his space a song or two before I leapt. Dr Who -(John) and I are, now friends.

Sterculus was there and gave a factual account of what Bono did for his fans that night..
I could go on but I wont.
Hope to hear from you-

My email is-diamondbruno9@aol.com

Sincerely
Diamond

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 03-31-2002).]

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
so much?
Help me out w/this one..
I find this irritating..

This coming from a man that rushed the stage

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

If U2 never do GA again all the greed, protests, & bitching, will be the reasons why.

If they DO decide to do an inner stage(heart) again they should consider selling special GA tix for it. Or make it random so waiting 20 hrs in line and saving spots would be useless.

Obviously, they don't want the same people, whose wallets greatly outweigh their life's responsibilities, up front night after night.

Maybe they should play open air sites like Merriweather Post Pavillion in MD or the Blockbuster in Camden NJ. There, the GA section is right where it belongs-- BEHIND the reserved seating.

[This message has been edited by Clark W. Griswold, Jr (edited 03-29-2002).]

In fact, reflecting on it further, I dont think the band did enough to discourage that pack of 50 to 80 spoiled shits from coming back. They should have fucked with them until they got the hint. So they lose less than 100 fans. They would have given how many thousands of fans -just as deserving- the chance to get up close.

I am entitled because I am young, rich, and spoiled! I am a child of the 80's; a product of the Reagan era and the 90's decade of affluence. That's just the way it is. On top of all of that, I have no idea what I'm talking about...so there!

Originally posted by u2utah:
U2utah is very confused
confused.gif

Yesterday while I was reading this thread I learned that the fans at the front of the line in Boston had no reasonable expectation that would be first into the building just because they were first in line. After all their tickets did not say ?first row? and there was nothing written or posted saying that the first person in line got to go in first. Also, the fact that all prior shows had been first come first served (with the exception of a few debacles brought on by brain dead security at arenas) gave them no reason to expect this line to work that way that day, and no right to be upset when other people were taken in first.

Hmmmmm. So, just because there was this long line that had been forming all day in Boston, the people at the front were foolish to assume they would be let in first. I thought this over and was dumbfounded. It appeared that I had been waiting in lines all these many year and, come to find out, this was completely unnecessary!
eek.gif

Armed with my newfound knowledge I went shopping at my local supermarket. I looked high and low and found no signs or written material of any kind that said one had to wait in line in the order you arrived at the checkout stand. Aha! I thought. I will simply go up to the front of this very long line. At first I was discouraged because the people close to the front wouldn?t let me in. Then I remembered that, based on the situation in Boston, it?s okay to lie about your intentions so as to not upset the folks in line. So I said ?excuse me, I would like to get one of the magazines up by the register.? Lo and behold, they let me in through. Victory!

Then, a funny thing happened, people behind me got very angry. I was glared at and rudely told to get to the back of the line. I informed them that there were no signs that said that the first person in line got to go first, it wasn?t written anywhere. That didn't help. The cashier got into the action next and told me I had to go back. I tried to point out that the first person in line appeared to be of questionable character and, besides, she had 11 items when this was clearly marked as an express aisle with a 10 item limit. I only had 3 items and was clearly a much nicer person, so shouldn?t I go first? It just got worse from there with a near riot breaking out before a manager was called.

I explained to him about the lack of written instructions, to which he said, ?Written instructions? Are you nuts?? And he threw me out on my caboose
frown.gif

Where did I go wrong? :confused;

Just giving y'all a hard time.
wink.gif

Have a great weekend folks
biggrin.gif

Your analogy, while very humorous (and I would have let you cut in the checkout line because you are so adorable - not like that BEAL person), is also erroneous in that the situation is not the same.

Instead of being a check-out line, let's pretend people camped out all night to get an item in a store. It's a hot new toy, weeks before Christmas, and you HAVE to get one for a child. So you camp out. The store doors open. You hope that because you had camped out all night and were one of the first people in the store, that you'd get a toy. But will you? Is it guaranteed that you will?

In other words, you put yourself in a situation such that you had a good shot of getting that toy, but there was never any guarantees that you'd get it. The same is true with this GA line. People camped out with the hopes of getting in the heart and/or getting a good place in or around the heart. But there were no guarantees.

I waited in GA lines for hours. Neither time did I think I would actually make it into the heart - in fact, both times I fully expected the line to end right as I got there. LOL! But I made it - and that alone was great.

Did I wish I was closer? Did I wish I could see Bono's sweat or have the Edge walk right by me as he played? Well, it turns out from the heart, you COULD have both. You didn't have to be right up front to see the Edge up close or see Bono sweating. So, again, I don't see how people can complain about not being right against the stage.

Perhaps I'm too pragmatic - but when I waited in the GA line, all I knew was that I was putting myself in a position to be in the heart. That's it and that's all. I always knew there was a chance I wouldn't make it, for whatever reason. But I did, and I was happy.

Therefore, for those who complained, not only do I not comprehend their complaints but I simply disagree with their perspective. And having been at one of those Boston shows, I think they are flat out wrong too.

So there. BEAL and I have spoken. Issue resolved.
biggrin.gif

Even Dr. Who has changed his rhectoric about me--the only problem Dr. Who had was I invaded his space a song or two before I leapt. Dr Who -(John) and I are, now friends.

Sincerely
Diamond

Actually Diamond, it was more than a "song or two." LOL! I think it was about half the show - and, despite how big I am, you somehow managed to repeatedly block my view and step on me.
biggrin.gif
But at least I had a great view of you jumping on the ramp as you tossed those poor girls aside (into little heaps in the heart
wink.gif
), and then I got a great view of you getting tackled hard. So it was all good. ROTFLMAO!

Chris
Stormy
Spiral
MBH-
and others thank you for your comments.

D
B

Uhhhh, I am a little confused here. I have not posted anything in this thread(until now) because it really didn't effect me in any way and I am apathatic toward it(as of now).

I noticed my name and was curious to what you were referring to. Please let me know.

Thanks,
MBH

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 03-28-2002).]

DoctorWho, you must have much better eyes than I do. From the center of the heart, and the back, I could not see any details on the faces of the band members, and if I didn't know it was a U2 concert I wouldn't have known for sure it was them. From the back of the heart, I did see the blue in Bono's eyes as he walked past on the heart ramp. Oh yes, of course, it's better than the nosebleed seats but not better than being up close. It's like, okay, so we are much better off than those starving children in Africa, but that doesn't mean our lives are as good as U2's! Okay, extreme analogy, just trying to say that there is always someone better off and worse off than you, but when it's you personally, it doesn't make you feel any better.

I think the main point that may have been missed here, I think I did see a couple of people touch on it, is that some of you are trashing people who feel a need to be close to the band, because YOU think it's silly and it doesn't matter to YOU, therefore they must be crazy and wrong. That's not really fair to judge them by your standards, if it means something to them, if being a few feet instead of several yards from the band makes a big difference in their lives, then it does. Don't call them names and preach about how it shouldn't bother them. It DID bother them. If it doesn't/would't bother you, fine, but don't make definite statements based on YOUR standards, because they feel just as strongly about the way they feel as you do about your opinion. Some people NEED that contact and some do not. I do find it ironic this topic was started by, of all people, a man who needed direct contact with the band so much that he rushed the stage!
eek.gif
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

One more thing, about that 'camping for toys' theme- though I never 'camped' I did arrive at sunup several times to wait for the latest, rarest Beanie Babies. Everyone was very respectful of each other's place, and even though I did see the SAME faces in the FRONT of the line EVERY time, I didn't resent them or call them names, I only thought that if they wanted it that much that they were willing to sleep on a sidewalk, let them have first pick.

After several months of doing it like this, the store got tired of it because the other stores in the strip mall were complaining about the campers taking all the parking places and keeping business away from their stores. So you know what they did?

During the last 'camp', just before the store opened at 10, the owner came out and stood on a stool with a megaphone(she was a very tiny, quiet girl) She announced:

"Attention: we have done this for a long time now, and I consider you not only my customers but my friends, so I think it's only right to tell you, we won't be able to do it like this anymore. Starting next time, don't show up until 9, everyone will be given a raffle ticket, and the line order will be determined by your number. DO NOT come here early and camp, because you WILL NOT earn your spot that way. Just thought you should know that. Thank you very much, and I want you to know how much I appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future"

That was FAIR. The people had been camping because they expected to be taken in first come first serve as always. Well, the owner of the store had to change the procedure, but, SHE LET THEM KNOW AHEAD OF TIME!! She didn't wait until it was time to go in and then trick them and lie to them. That really does make a difference more than whether or not you got a Beanie Baby. It was called common courtesy and decency and honor. That's the way all things should be.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 03-30-2002).]

Ms Desire-
Nice pts.
One thing-
What if I told you my main motivation was not to do it for myself? It was purely an opurtunity for Bono to show his compassion as I witnessed him do "live" for 2 decades?
I was willing to take that gamble or risk
w/a premonition that everything would turn out ok. It did. Actually it turned out better than anyone could of imagined.
I was completey humbled by the event.
Only at a U2 show.
What was I thinking?
And no, I dont ever plan on doing it again.

Sincerely-
Diamond

I went to one Elevation show
I was nowhere near the heart
I had one of the greatest nights in my life

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Ms Desire-
Nice pts.
One thing-
What if I told you my main motivation was not to do it for myself? It was purely an opurtunity for Bono to show his compassion as I witnessed him do "live" for 2 decades?
I was willing to take that gamble or risk
w/a premonition that everything would turn out ok. It did. Actually it turned out better than anyone could of imagined.
I was completey humbled by the event.
Only at a U2 show.
What was I thinking?
And no, I dont ever plan on doing it again.

Sincerely-
Diamond

Oh how nice of you Diamond to give Bono that opportunity!
wink.gif

Dr. Who-
John-
First off Iam glad you are a scientist and NOT a mathamatician.
I was by you for no more than 1-2 songs.
I was all over the Heart that night.
However as an avid fan that you are, it probably felt much longer -as your ire was arising w/my antics..interrupting your view ect., inwhich I was oblvious to-at the time. I would add one thing though G.A. means "general admission" and sometimes a fatheaded fan (such as myself) may get in your way or your toes might get stepped on inadvertently.

A shorter female fan approached me and said I was blocking her view--I responded and politely said she was more than welcome to go in front of me. Her spot was 15-20 ft. BEHIND me on the rail no less. She said "No!" that I was in her "line of vision" I politely yet gently explained to her that general admission was general admission- not assigned seating and SHE WAS STILL MORE THAN WELCOME to move ahead of me.
She called me obnoxious.
"Oake Doke then"- I responded.

Would I encourage anyone to do what I did-leaping the stage?- NO.
-I lost a designer watch,
-suffered a sprained Knee
-sore ribs
-a sprained pinky finger
-and got a ripped up shirt.

Diamond

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 03-30-2002).]

In San Paulo Brazil Bono rescued /pulled the girl up during 'With or Without You'..
They both wept together. The girl put Bono's head in her lap, stroked his hair, and kissed him on the forehead repeatedly--this was NOT part of the ticket price.

In fact she kissed him on his ears...repeatedly, poor Bono, LOL. You know, it?s funny you mentioned that scene Diamond because everytime I see that part of the video I try to figure out what that girl was trying to get...and also what a foreigner might think of her behaviour...or the behaviour of Brazilian female fans in general
biggrin.gif

On the topic, after 3 days on holidays, it took me at least 1 hour to read this thread, interesting btw. I don?t think I have much to add. I consider myself lucky enough to see them in the front row just once, when they recorded their showcase to Globo TV in November 2000...only 4 songs, but undoubtedly the hightlight of my life as a U2 fan. The other opportunity I had I was way back on the bleachers of a football stadium, they were like small ants on the stage...even so, both times, I had the time of my life. I was there. I could hear them performing the songs I have adored all my life. It?s all that matters to me. I wanna have another opportunity, even if I?m obliged to be far from them. I just wanna share the place and feel that emotion again. Talking about another perspective...
smile.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

Follower-
Thanks for your comments.
I thought Bono's interaction w/the fan was MOVING.
Extremely MOVING.
It was symbolism at its best.
They were both crying for joy -together.
It could of happened at any U2 concert in ANY country.
Like Bono says-A U2 Concert ="a community".

Your
Friend-
Diamond

Autumn thanks for your comments too.

Diamond my friend...I can see you?re a nice guy, and I thank you.
wink.gif
In fact that girl gave him a crucifix. She was only 15 when she was chosen by Bono to dance with him that night. When interviewed by MTV later, she said that lots of girls were trying to catch his attention, but when he saw the crucifix she was offering he asked her to be pulled up on stage. And then he asked her to put the necklace with the crucifix on him. She said she sang and prayed most of the time, I think that?s what you can see in her face.

Still on that Boston episode, I never understood it clearly...why a fan, who got to be into the heart in any Elevation concert, would protest against his/her specific location concerning general admission is beyond my comprehension...definitely.

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 03-31-2002).]

Bottom line..whether you like it or not..this is what u2 does at shows..you can enjoy it...or whine about it

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 03-31-2002).]

Amazing this thread is so long. I thought the whole Boston fiasco was behind us. Both parties screwed up in that situation. U2 screwed up by bypassing the fans that paid the price to be up front which is pretty crappy and those fans acted like a bunch of babies as a result for all of us to see for eternity on the DVD which is VERY crappy.

I think this whole thread is generalizing everything about being a U2 fan. Just like a thread a while back that said you had to be a liberal democrat to be a U2 fan?? (I think DB9 is an example that you definately dont have to be!). MOST U2 fans are very down to earth people and are very generous. This has been my experience dating back to the Unf. Fire era. There are always a few people that make the rest look bad. It is that way with any large group or organization. That is what happened in Boston IMO. Look at the number though. About 15 to 20 staged the little protest in Boston is that significant at all considering there are millions of U2 fans?? No, definately not. Yet these people were quoted in the press and made the band they "supposedly" care so much about look bad.

You could apply the same thing to those who collect U2 shows. There are "some" out there that feel they are entitled to EVERY U2 recording out there and they are entitled to it this instant. Most dont feel that way but those that do make the rest of the internet crowd look bad in the trading world.

Just my 2 cents. I'am sure someone will disagree with me.
wink.gif
(ducks)

is this what you had in mind in your original post Diamond? Just wondering what you were originally referring to. I can't believe I made it through all of these pages. I'll add by saying that I enjoyed the center of the heart the greatest out of all the spots, however I DID receive a nice extra by being in the front. Either way great show. I need another concert fix.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
I really like ya, DB9, but perhaps you can start by answering this question yourself. Why did you feel this need to jump up on that ramp and run to Bono? That's not part of the ticket price - that was WAY extra - and you could have become seriously hurt or even arrested. Maybe you were counting on the fact that Bono would "save" you, but he didn't have to. So why take this risk? 15,000 other fans in that arena didn't jump up on stage. 15,000 fans didn't have this need to "bond" with Bono in that way. But you did. Why did you feel this way?

You may counter that your question is about fans who feel the band "owe" them something and your actions were far more pure than that. But were they? You claim you wanted to "connect" with the band. Don't we all? But all of us don't go jumping on the stage. Why didn't you just stay in the heart like fans are SUPPOSED to? If you wanted to meet Bono, why not try like most fans do, outside at the arena or at their hotel?

While your actions may have been more "pure" - they come from the same place as the comments of fans who feel the band owes them something. These fans feel that they have followed U2 for so many years, through the criticism as well as the praise, through so many changes, buying every single CD that U2 ever released, that U2 "owe" them a little something for their fidelity, time and $$ spent over the years. They want that feeling of "bonding" with U2 just like you did on that night in Boston. But they don't want to stage jump - they just want to see U2 (like in the countries where U2 didn't tour) or they just want a little recognition from U2 that their time spent was not only worthwhile, but recognized.

The same passion that drove you to jumping on stage that night is the same passion that drives these people. They just act on it differently.
wink.gif

Dr. Who-
Lets get back to ticket price.
As you know 'spontanitey' and 'unpredictablity'are part of U2 Shows and Bono's trademark, wouldnt you agree?

Not part of the ticket price at Live Aid in 1985 was Bono rescuing the girl during the performance of "Bad" correct? If you were standing next to that girl would you of have been dissappointed w/her? -The world love that! Remember that wasnt in the ticket price. Did you have a problem w/that?

Not part of the ticket price -
In Sao Paulo Brazil Bono rescued /pulled the girl up during 'With or Without You'..
They both wept together. The girl put Bono's head in her lap, stroked his hair, and kissed him on the forehead repeatedly--this was NOT part of the ticket price.

In Sydney Austrilia during "Love Is Blindness" a female fan rushed stage Bono kept her there, held her close, they bonded.
This was NOT part of the ticket price,
or was it?

Bono has either pulled or rescued fans at every show this tour and it has been common practice thru-out his carrer.
Wouldnt you agree?

You have stated you are there ONLY to see U2 perform.
Alot of fans and I would say, even the majority of them are to see BOTH.
Of course to see U2/Bono FIRST but to witness a symbolic connection between fanbase and performer.
Alot fans come to listen to Bono rant.
I even love to listen to his rants even though I didnt necessarily agree w/ most of them.
This wasnt part of the ticket price or was it?
This is what makes Bono/U2 UNIQUE from all other bands. Wouldnt you agree?

I will CONFESS and admit that I had high expectations when I sprang onto the ramp that led to the stage. Bono exceeded my expectations that night and the 20,000 that were watching this final encore song.
This is what has endeared me even more to this band. -Bono coming thru in flying colors MORE than I and we all antcipated.
Surreal.
I still consider my self EXTREMLY LUCKY and am STILL HUMBLED by the symbolism of the event.

Sincerly
Your
Friend
Diamond

ps-I also HATE when fans WHINE about set-list changes.

Originally posted by Salome:
I went to one Elevation show
I was nowhere near the heart
I had one of the greatest nights in my life

Same as me.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Cowgirl of Funk-
I have never heard you MAKE DEMANDS on the band that they MUST come to Oz, have you?
that's probably because you have heard just about no one on this forum make demands like that

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 04-01-2002).]

Yes, I knew you couldnt have meant me, I was just wondering who you were talking about because as Salomey says, no one here has ever done so.
Yee Haw
*crawls back to feedback break*

Back
Top Bottom