Why is it such a crime to be critical here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
Man, I can't believe the reactions of many of you to anything that is critical of the current music U2 is making.

Why can't long-time fans be disappointed with ATYCLB and HTDAAB? Why are those opinions instantly tossed out?

The FACT is, MANY long-time U2 fans are disappointed with where the band has ended up. Aside from some negative initial reactions to AB and POP - that seemed to subside once those albums were understood.

There is nothing to understand about ATYCLB - there's a shallowness that is apparent right away - and 4 years later, those who didn't like it, still dont. I think the same is true for HTDAAB. The depth is missing.

I still love U2 (despite the conclusions that many of you will immediately come to), but I'm afraid they're just not making GREAT music anymore. Gone are the days of spine-tingling riffs and complex, meaningful lyrics.

I'm glad I experienced U2 at their best when I was in jr high, high school and college - when music matters most to people.

One Tree Still said:
I'm glad I experienced U2 at their best when I was in jr high, high school and college - when music matters most to people.

Which is exactly what people in that age group now will say in 5 to 10 years.

No problem being critical, but remember this is a FAN site, not a bashing site, so you'll always get push back on critical comments.

Which is exactly what people in that age group now will say in 5 to 10 years

Do you honestly believe that?

Kids in high school couldn't care less about U2 - that is a fact. I work with them and U2 isn't even on their radar.

See, the problem is, you are of the opinion that fans can't be critical. I don't believe that's true.

Re: Re: Why is it such a crime to be critical here?

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Which is exactly what people in that age group now will say in 5 to 10 years.

No problem being critical, but remember this is a FAN site, not a bashing site, so you'll always get push back on critical comments.

I agree with this. It's just that the total number of fans in this age group who are U2 fans is less than what it was say 15 years ago. These fans as lightly numbered as they may be will definately be crying 5-10 years from now that U2 doesn't make albums like ATYCLB and HTDAAB anymore.

One Tree Still said:

See, the problem is, you are of the opinion that fans can't be critical. I don't believe that's true.

I love being critical. Fans SHOULD be critical. The problem around here is that the ones who are critical have given criticism a bad name because they don't have a clue on how to explain their critiques. So they resort to riduculous statements and simple minded platitudes to express the disappointment in a song or album. Criticism is an awesome thing, but it also is very hard work to translate those kinds of thoughts in a legitimate way.

I have no problem with people being critical about U2 and their music. That's what sparks the best discussions. What I do have a problem with are the rediculous, illogical, repetitive trolls that post on here.

Here is typical U2 criticism:

ATYCLB sucks. U2 sold out because Pop didn't sell well in the US.

HTDAAB sucks. U2 write songs to get played on the radio. They never used to want songs played on the radio. They sold out.

It's never criticism of a song or record on the whole. Usually the bands integrity or motives are indicted. So expect strong reaction from those who don't agree.

One Tree Still said:

Kids in high school couldn't care less about U2 - that is a fact. I work with them and U2 isn't even on their radar.

Really? I wonder why, then, so many of the people here at Interference are teenagers? There was a poll here a few months ago, and I was amazed at how many young people there are at this site. And yes, I do think that they will have similar feelings about HTDAAB as you do about the albums you fell in love with at that age.

One Tree Still said:

I work with High Schoolers as well and many of them LOVE U2. Shall we argue each antecdotal story as fact then?

No problem not enjoying the new album, just try not to be a moron.

Bunch of fools! :mad:
Do you even hear yourself? You're the most boring posters on the forum. "I like realy criticism, but not just senseless bashing, no one says anything about why not liking the song/album, all thay say is U2 is a sell out, these are rediculous, illogical, repetitive trolls, bla bla bla....!"

Well, tell us something logical, non-repetitive, senseful about what do you have to say back to the critics! Cause I didin't see any "real" reasons why you like the album, and don't think U2 have changed to worse. C'mon, I'd like to hear it...

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
Bunch of fools! :mad:
Do you even hear yourself? You're the most boring posters on the forum. "I like realy criticism, but not just senseless bashing, no one says anything about why not liking the song/album, all thay say is U2 is a sell out, these are rediculous, illogical, repetitive trolls, bla bla bla....!"

Well, tell us something logical, non-repetitive, senseful about what do you have to say back to the critics! Cause I didin't see any "real" reasons why you like the album, and don't think U2 have changed to worse. C'mon, I'd like to hear it...

You just called us all fools. Why would anyone want to converse w/ you now?

Like others said, there is a difference between well thought-out critisism (think Michael Griffiths) and posting nothing BUT complaints about U2 on a daily basis.
You know, "All that... sucks", "How to dismantle... sucks", "Ipod ad was a sell-out", "the lyrics and music are lame", "U2 was best in the 90's", "Bono should get back to making music, his activism affects the music" "the last two albums are copying 80's U2" etc etc etc - and they're suprised when that rubs people the wrong way on a U2 fan forum. What did they think would happen?

What's funny is how the negative posters feel they've got all the answers and somehow they should "enlighten" the rest of us and that only they are real fans and that U2 should do things their way, or it's the highway. Of course, as soon as someone disagrees with them, the "oh no critisism is allowed" and "blind followers" talk comes up. You see, this apparently only goes one way...

Ok here goes. (though I have done this before) Why HTDAAB is a wonderful album.

1. Bono's lyrics are incredible. I do a lot of public speaking; every year that I speak, I use less and less metaphor to communicate. Why? Because I have more of a life story to use as illustrations. Many of the arguments used against HTDAAB argue that the lyrics aren't very good because they aren't "complex". Rubbish. A man bearing his soul and being direct can be very powerful (i.e. Imagine, Hey Jude, most songs by Dylan).

2. The Edge's guitar work on this album is top notch. From the sheer power of Vertigo to the soaring melodies of Miracle Drug. It may not be your favorite style of playing, but it is wonderful non-the-less.

3. This is Adam's best album. He really shines through out.

4. Bono's voice is magical on Drug, SYCMIOYO, MAAW, OOTS.

My main criticisms of the album are that I don't think that the music for Crumbs fits the tone of the song, it is mastered too loud, and COBL could really use a better bridge that brings the song down more.

The ablum is musically fantastic. Bono's lyrics are top notch. They might not be what you are looking for, but to argue that they are subpar is stupid. Especially when you don't give examples.

U2girl said:
Like others said, there is a difference between well thought-out critisism (think Michael Griffiths) and posting nothing BUT complaints about U2 on a daily basis.
You know, "All that... sucks", "How to dismantle... sucks", "Ipod ad was a sell-out", "the lyrics and music are lame", "U2 was best in the 90's", "Bono should get back to making music, his activism affects the music" "the last two albums are copying 80's U2" etc etc etc - and they're suprised when that rubs people the wrong way on a U2 fan forum. What did they think would happen?

I, including many other posters known as "the critics" never used this "shit-talk". Not all critics you have here says that. You can't disagree with that.

U2girl said:

At the end of the day all these idiots want are big guitar solos like The Fly and UTEOTW. Sadly, guitar solos is their definition of cool. These idiots don't truely understand the real U2.

Sweet Child of Mine. :rockon: :rockon:

I think U2's older music is...CLASSIC!! I also believe U2 enjoys change as they stated in '88 , how they had to go away...and dream it all up again...Since then, we got "Achtung Baby" and that became a new kind of classic. "Zooropa" and "Pop" had only some good tracks. So here we are..."All That You Can't Leave Behind" and "How To Dismantle.." Let's just say that there's a lot more "newer" classics on "ATYCLB" then "HTDAAB" and that's just the way it is for some of us, who listened to U2 since the start of their career.

Catman said:
It's okay to be critical, just not the senseless bashing abundant on these forums.

Exactly....some of us have wised up to the ways of trolls. However, genuine criticism is fine.

Lancemc said:
I have no problem with people being critical about U2 and their music. That's what sparks the best discussions. What I do have a problem with are the rediculous, illogical, repetitive trolls that post on here.

Hey hope that's not me your having a go at there!:wink:

Anyway if you post on here it has to be that U2 are the best thing sliced bread and are making the most groundbreaking music we have heard and can do no wrong, when in truth they are closer to Bon Jovi than they have ever been. I also agree that with their musical greatness diminishing by each album, they are now REALLY showing their age. I am also glad I was in my late teens and twenties when U2 were making their most important, relevant and exciting music in the 90's! Now with each album it has become a bit stale and the excitment that used to be greeted with each album release has diminshed to virtually nothing!:wink:

Nobody said you have to like the new albums or the band anymore....please do some other new fans a favour though and let them form their own opinions of the music, there are many people that would think this new album is better then any of the old U2 material and I dont think their is anything wrong with that. Different music touches different people. I am glad myself for having a liking and apprciation for where every U2 record comes from, do I like every track on every album no but most of the tracks hit a chord with me new or old.

I personally think all their albums are GREAT!! As I stated earlier, some are better than others...that's all! But to say that U2 are closer to Bon Jovi....I wouldn't agree with that. Also their musical greatness isn't diminishing.....just because every song on their LPs aren't hits.....oh well then, you can just choose what songs to listen to and which ones you won't play. Plus, there's nothing wrong with age.....these guys are gorgeous anyway. Oh by-the-way...their most important music was from War and Joshua Tree....in my opinion.

There must be some negativity everywhere, just because it will make you better.
Let's imagine, f.e. i dislike October, when someone says that he loves it, i won't agree with him/her, that's my vision of negativity.
Still, you don't have to call others names, just because you don't share opinions. But i sometimes can't sit still.
I can't stand when somebody says that they hate Pop, because it's coolest album u2 made. If you disagree, kiss my ...

One Tree Still said:

Total bullshit.

I'm eighteen and I've lived in two countries - Australia and New Zealand - and travelled throughout both of them. Everywhere I go, people of ALL ages respect U2. U2 have always been 'the band' that everyone admires, and I was shocked when I first met someone online who didn't know U2. I am yet to meet anyone in person who doesn't know U2, and I've only met a few haters - either the mindless Spears/Timberlake type or the "give me death metal or death" type.

Axver said:

Total bullshit.

I'm eighteen and I've lived in two countries - Australia and New Zealand - and travelled throughout both of them. Everywhere I go, people of ALL ages respect U2. U2 have always been 'the band' that everyone admires, and I was shocked when I first met someone online who didn't know U2. I am yet to meet anyone in person who doesn't know U2, and I've only met a few haters - either the mindless Spears/Timberlake type or the "give me death metal or death" type.

Wrong. You're talking about people knowing U2, not if they're interested. It's hard not to hear about them, you know, they are pretty popular. Not just nowadays... One Tree Still was saying U2 are not so relevant to todays kids. And that is truth. I know very few U2 fans of my age (teenagers).

p.s. @ Achtung Joshua: being sarcastic or not, I never understood why would one have to hate one decade of U2...
I like them equaly, cause each has a certain magic.
So I don't like when someone's explanation of someone else's not liking the new album or ATYCLB is that he preferes the 90's U2 (or the 80's) so he better shut up and stick to the previous catalogue, leaving the new U2 in the stores...
It's not about the decades at all...

rjhbonovox said:

I also agree that with their musical greatness diminishing by each album, they are now REALLY showing their age.

Do you really think that ATYCLB is better than HTDAAB? Or, as usual, are you just talking complete crap.

roy said:

Do you really think that ATYCLB is better than HTDAAB? Or, as usual, are you just talking complete crap.

Why do you have to be so hars all the time?
And yes, I think ATYCLB IS better than HTDAAB. It's the "same" thing released 4 years earlier. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom