Why I'm fascinated with Running to Stand Still

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Apart from the music side of things, which I'll go into later, I love this song for its lyrics. In a society where durgs are looked down on (although I wasn't around 1987) the thoughts in this song are just inspirational to me. While U2 (or Bono) aren't necessarily saying drugs (in this case heroin) are bad, there is a different point of view that nobody really takes notice of.

"If you don't like the world you're living in, see it through different eyes. And heroin gives you heroin eyes to see the world."

I can't explain it well, but that thought process, which gives you a different perspective just appeals to me.

And now to musical side of things: the whole way that the song just builds is great, I love it. Larry is the one that really pumps it along, especially in that final verse. And then it could just end, but Bono breaks out this beautiful harmonica solo.

And live...:drool:

Personally I think it's one of the most beautiful songs ever made.

Your thoughts?

durgspp9.jpg

totally agree with you, its a beautiful though provoking song, but in a very unpreachey way.
The live version from ZOO TV, with the halleluiahs is so moving. But the original is the best IMO.

It's a great song, I absolutely adore the ZooTV version, the hallelujah's at the end are so moving and great, so much emotion in it :drool:

"Sweet the sin
Bitter the taste in my mouth
I see seven towers
But I only see one way out
You got to cry with out weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice
You know I took the poison from the poison stream
Then I floated out of here"

One of my favorite set of verses ever...

Despite being sympathetic, it is ultimately an anti-drug song. While heroin seems a way out of the poverty and troubles of the Seven Towers area of Dublin, it truly isn't a way out. This is why it ends with "She's running to stand still."

I love this song, and it has a rather personal other meaning for me, that I won't go into. But I find it so sorrowfully beautiful. The image they've painted of a person using any means necessary to escape their misery is striking.

inmyplace13 said:

:lol:

'Sweet the sin, bitter the taste in my mouth'
yep that line is one of u2's best in my opinion.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
"Sweet the sin
Bitter the taste in my mouth
I see seven towers
But I only see one way out
You got to cry with out weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice
You know I took the poison from the poison stream
Then I floated out of here"

One of my favorite set of verses ever...

Absolutely... So beautiful!! The lyrics are brilliant and live is just amazing. They didn't play it in the Vertigo show I went to... It was Miss Sarajevo. But I'm not sorry for that cause I love both songs. I couldn't chose between the two...

I agree with everything that's been said. This song is truly one of the most beautiful songs ever written. I like that the song isn't judgemental or sympathetic as much as understanding. This song speaks to anyone who has a friend or family member who has abused drugs. I must say I have yet to find a live version of this song that isn't less than brillant. I think when Bono sings "I'm still running" or "hallelujah," the song elevates itself to become one of thier great anthems.

My favorite lines:
"She runs through the streets
Her eyes painted red
Under a black-bellied cloud in the rain."

I also like it a lot. They didn't play Miss Sarajevo last year in Vienna but they played Running to Stand Still and it was also a good choice, there's something really similar in these two songs.

Yes, I love this song. Despite the two topics being slightly unrelated, I love the version of RTSS on the Chicago DVD where Bono prays for the US Troops. Sends chills up my spine every time I hear it.

bmgwd89 said:
Yes, I love this song. Despite the two topics being slightly unrelated, I love the version of RTSS on the Chicago DVD where Bono prays for the US Troops. Sends chills up my spine every time I hear it.

Song about drug addiction dedicated to the troops? Never understood it.

I can't ever decide which I like better - piano or guitar version. Maybe with Bono now playing piano they can do a combined one. :hyper:

when I first heard this on the JT album, I didn't really think of it much. it was until I actually listened to it thoroughly that I realized its beauty.
the song is beautiful in ways that can't be explained.

this is probably one of my favorite U2 songs based off live performance and also album recording.

This has always been my favorite U2 song. I dunno what it is. It just feels so cut off from everything. Even on the Joshua Tree album. It's so secluded from the rest of that album. Like right after Bono says "Into the arms of America" and seconds later those sliding country-ish guitars zoom in, it's like within no time at all ure already immersed in another world. I think most of all I love the understated beauty of it. It's so deep and dramatic yet so casual, and races fast towards a quick inevitable end like so many doomed junkies' lives do time and time again. Musically and lyrically my all time favorite song by this band.

tuwie said:
RTSS segue into Streets = :drool:
very very lovely indeed <3

Agreed! That performance is very transcending.

I'm so happy there is a thread about this song! I find it captivating. Sure, there are loads of songs out there about living in the ghetto, but this one really captured my heart. And especially the hallelujahs in the live shows.

Also, it was weird because after living in Ballymun (3 towers now instead of 7), the song is even more powerful to me (if that were even possible).

I think this song touches on aspects of hopelessness and feelings of immobility and desperation that we can all identify with at some point in our lives.

In the running for my favorite song of all time. It's amazing. The only other songs I love as much as it are Streets (Live, it's #1) and Bad (just barely tops Running).

Back
Top Bottom